Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderators: Jackson, krankyd, rondesta, adriansinger

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby mapcat » Sun May 19, 2013 2:23 pm

vectorspace wrote:(2) TR-xxx

Pronounced "Tribal Route" followed by the characters (up to six, but could just be one). This would be a generic tribal route designation for any tribal land that would accommodate it. This is not intended to be mandatory for use on all tribal lands, but rather a common form similar to "SR-xxx" for state routes.

The spreadsheet lists TR-xxx as a proposed abbreviation for Township Road.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:34 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Why not just use the global standard of E for east?

Because east does not sound like est, perhaps?

I can't think of any compelling need to keep est as an abbreviation for estate. I don't recall ever needing it.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby MarionOaks » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
xteejx wrote:Any chance we can have Saint back the way it was, ie St at the start. Annoying work if we have to change them all!

I don't think we should have Waze relying on positional pronunciation. It's just bound to fail. If we make it a standard that "St" is "street" and "St." is "saint" then we know exactly how it will be pronounced regardless of where it is in the street name.

That would make TTS so much more reliable (once all the St are changed to st.'s that is) I'd like this, especially for exits. Exit ##: to St Something will possibly say to Street Something, instead of Saint Something as an example. But if we make it St. Something, with the TTS standard being that, it should read to Saint Something.
Area Manager of: Florida
Map Editor Level: 4
Current project: Map Reports
Next Project(s): Gainesville, Panama City, Miami, Tampa, Tallahassee, I-75
Devices: Toshiba Satelite
HTC Evo 4G LTE for the road
MarionOaks

Postby mwhead2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:20 pm

"Alt" (as in "SR-15 Alt") is correctly said as "Alternate" (though pronounced as "alterneight")

"Conn" ("connector") and "Sp" ("spur") are also used in Georgia so it'd be nice if those were added to the list :)
Area Manager: Athens and North Georgia

Verizon Droid DNA 4G LTE
mwhead2

Postby ncc1701v » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 pm

If "Exit 70A-B" is what the sign says, as a driver my personal preference would be to have Waze say the same thing, as opposed to leaving the ramp unnamed. That is, first I get told to keep right for 70A-B, then left for 70A to Minnewaska.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby NicoPapa29 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I live in South Africa and find WAZE a brilliant application.
Problem is that TTS is wrongly describing our HighWays.

All South Africa's National Highways and Roads are "Prefixed" with an "N"
The "N" stands for "NATIONAL"

In Johannesburg the major highways are:
N3
N1

TTS translates this to "North 3"
It should remain as "N3" because the N SHOULD NOT translate to "North" and no one refers to them
as "National 3" so that wouldnt make sense either.

TTS should remain as "N3"

How can this be achieved?
NicoPapa29

Postby ohiostmusicman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:04 pm

txemt wrote:I still want to hear Samuel L Jackson give directions---"I said take a mother f***in right"

When it reroutes to avoid traffic: "I'm tired of these motherf***in' cars on this motherf***in' road!"
Travis
Waze 3.7.8.0
iPhone 5 (VZW) - iOS 7.1
iMac 21.5" & MacBookPro 15" - Mavericks 10.9.2
Area Manager: Northern Ohio

ImageImage
ohiostmusicman

Postby orbitc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Spil wrote:Sorry, no input on the first one, but I'll take up this one for you:
Wajo357 wrote:2) On some of the ramps I've seen, the ramp name is "Exit 70A-B:...", but it is read as "exit 70ayybee" without any break between the ayy and bee. If I add a space before and after the dash Waze says "Exit 70ayy to bee. What do you guys recommend in such a situation?
In most such situations, the "Exit 70A-B" part of the ramp should be left unnamed, allowing TTS to use the appropriate "Exit 70A" or "Exit 70B" ramp name from the upcoming offramp. There may be some instances where the "Exit 70A-B" might be needed, though -- can you provide a Permalink to the interchange in question here?

Hi Spil, as far as the first one we moved that topic to TTS forum. We are waiting to hear from them. On our tests we found out that putting the letters in quotes help (either single ' ' or double quotes " ")

For the second one; I don't want to step anybodys toes but I have one for you. I don't think this is the same one Wajo357 mentioned though.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
CM: U.S.A. & T.C.
• ßeta Tester
• AT&T | iOS 7.0.4 | Waze v3.7.9.914

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Wajo357 wrote:
Spil wrote:Sorry, no input on the first one, but I'll take up this one for you:
Wajo357 wrote:2) On some of the ramps I've seen, the ramp name is "Exit 70A-B:...", but it is read as "exit 70ayybee" without any break between the ayy and bee. If I add a space before and after the dash Waze says "Exit 70ayy to bee. What do you guys recommend in such a situation?
In most such situations, the "Exit 70A-B" part of the ramp should be left unnamed, allowing TTS to use the appropriate "Exit 70A" or "Exit 70B" ramp name from the upcoming offramp. There may be some instances where the "Exit 70A-B" might be needed, though -- can you provide a Permalink to the interchange in question here?

Permalink here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=57801554

Thanks Joey, I hope you didn't mind. Did you see my example? I think it is the same difference.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester

orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:48 pm

CBenson wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:1) Most avenues in Brooklyn NY are letters, like Ave M . However, Waze reads Ave N, E, W, and S as the direction, not the letter. A few of us have tested that encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes gets Waze to say the letter and not the direction. So what do you guys recommend? Single quotes? double quotes? All avenues? Just problematic avenues? Add alternate name with no quotes?

East/West streets in downtown Washington DC are also letters, like "K St." In the past, encapsulating the letters with either single or double quotes would not get waze to say the letter and not the direction (only lower case encapsulated in single quotes gave the letter). Maybe things have changed since I last tried this or maybe it matters whether the single letter starts the name.

On my test here putting single or double quotes helped.
In both situations;
Waze said: Avenue enn when I put Avenue "N" or Avenue 'N' for the Avenue "Avenue N" in NY and not Avenue north.

Maybe, it's changed?
• ßeta Tester

orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to United States