Routing off/on highway instead of staying on

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Routing off/on highway instead of staying on

Postby invented » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm kind of stumped as to why it's routing people on the ramps. Cartouche says the freeway has an average speed of 113 km/h, the ramp segments are all lower than that, and the ramp segments together are longer than the freeway adjacent. So it must have been some heavy traffic.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Postby AggieJM » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:24 pm

invented wrote:I'm kind of stumped as to why it's routing people on the ramps. Cartouche says the freeway has an average speed of 113 km/h, the ramp segments are all lower than that, and the ramp segments together are longer than the freeway adjacent. So it must have been some heavy traffic.

There was no traffic when I passed through the area. I had the same expectation that it would not route ramp-to-ramp if the route was continuing down the highway. That's why I was initially questioning whether the turn restriction was required or not. Based on the feedback, it sounds like this is something that may need to be refined in the route calculation logic, but we can use the restricted turn as a solution for now.
AT&T iPhone 5s iOS 9.0.2
Waze 3.9.6.1 (Crown, AM)
AggieJM
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby gettingthere » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:43 pm

AggieJM wrote:Based on the feedback, it sounds like this is something that may need to be refined in the route calculation logic, but we can use the restricted turn as a solution for now.

Exactly. It's a proven workaround.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1, Waze 4.1
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Spil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 am

invented wrote:I'm kind of stumped as to why it's routing people on the ramps. Cartouche says the freeway has an average speed of 113 km/h, the ramp segments are all lower than that, and the ramp segments together are longer than the freeway adjacent. So it must have been some heavy traffic.

WYSINWYG. ;) The speed data that shows in Cartouche is not what is used by Waze routing; the actual speed data that is used in its calculations is much more complicated, based on the segment's average speed at that time of that day of the week.
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby F1Lee » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:13 pm

AggieJM wrote:Thanks guys! I've made the changes to the ramps to disable the straight-through path on the ramps. I closed all the URs along that section as well that referenced this issue, since it looks like it's been a problem for a while.

This was my first time through the area running Waze and the rest of the route was pretty sound.

Although this "fixs" the issue you have, it creates another problem. Editors are software restricting a legal motor vehicle move.

If one where to accidentally take the exit, and needs to route back on the highway. Countless other occurrences could happen to require to need to return onto the highway. Not only that, it's LEGAL to do so, and should be allowed.

Based on principle, Waze should be allowed to route you back onto the highway from an exit ramp.

The core problem is in the Waze code and that's where the fix needs to be done. Wouldn't you agree?

I've looked for ways to report to Waze, code issues, but never can see them. How does one do this? I am not a fan of user "fixes" in software to avoid core software issues. Waze needs to do their job and make good software.
Samsung Galaxy S3, Verizon
F1Lee

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:19 pm

This thread is over a year old. Please see the forum rules. Locked.

There is a more current discussion about Ramp-to-Ramp routing - which is actually ILLEGAL in most places.

EDIT: I found the other thread for you: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56092
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor