Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Sleep button on future iOS versions

Post by
Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that starting from the upcoming version (3.7.3) the "Switch off" button on iOS versions (only) will be replaced by a "Sleep" button, this in is in order to comply with Apple's requirements.

It will look like that:
main2.jpg
and by hitting the "Sleep" button this screen will show up:
switch off7-sleep.jpg
Then you'll have the options either to resume the app or to hit the phone's home button to exit.

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
faitaru wrote:Can we ask the specifics of Apple's requirements?
This has been discussed a lot on the beta forum. Here is a relevant link I posted there a couple weeks ago: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... a1561.html

Personally, I feel Waze is taking this too literally as the QA is more about the application exiting not based on user action. However, the Switch Off button in Waze, which quits the app, is precisely based on user input and does not make the user think, as the QA suggests, that the app has crashed.

There may be other developer resources I did not find which make it more clear that something like the "Switch Off" button should not exist at all in an app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
faitaru wrote:In terms of the sleep screen, I can understand the want to inform the wazer that the app is not exiting and merely dropping to background, but do they really need to see it every single time they 'sleep' the app? I see the screen up to 30 times a day. Maybe an option for it (defaulted to on).
If Waze, based on the Apple guidance, says you can't drop out to the springboard except by user hitting the Home button, what else would you suggest? The app has to have something on-screen.

What this actually does as well, is it sort-of satisfies those who want a "sleep" or "pause" button when stopped somewhere. When you wake waze up from this screen, if it's still up, the route is resumed just like starting Waze from the springboard.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
For me, it makes no difference either way. When I shut down Waze, it's because I'm at a destination, so I've always hit the power button on my device once I Switch Off Waze. Using the beta, there is absolutely zero change to this. When I unlock my phone, it's back to the springboard as I'd expect.

The only time this impacts in any way is when I am wanting to get from Waze to another app after shutting Waze down. Now I have to press the Home button once.

In actual use and in reality, this makes almost zero difference in using and shutting down Waze at all. I see no reason why this makes using Waze so much more a hassle at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
robc007 wrote:Also, I see no reason to change the appearance of the "Switch Off" button. Having a "Sleep" button suggests the program is still fully active, as in Windows jargon.
"Sleep" isn't WIndows-specific, it's under the Apple menu in OSX too. And we are talking about iOS only, so not sure Windows is relevant.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
annieberyl wrote:I might also "assume" that sleep meant the app was still running....off is off.
That's correct. The only official way to "terminate" and iOS app is the user hitting the Home button. That's it. And even then, its state is saved and it can be "resumed" when brought to the foreground again.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
fezzzer wrote:How will Waze now upload drives? I always thought this happened when the app shut down.
It's the same timing when you sleep the app. The only change is the UI.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:
phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?
No. It's unfortunate, but this change was forced by Apple's rules.
The "putting to sleep" is yes. But the "having to tap Wake Up" every single time to start it, is all Waze's (bad) idea.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kpouer wrote:It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Getting focus isn't the problem. Any app which was on-screen when the sleep button is pressed is on-screen when the device is unlocked. The "problem," IMO and likely yours and others, is that this automatically takes Waze out of sleep mode. I believe it should not automatically wake up on device unsleep.

I think there is a technical hurdle here for Waze devs: can they determine Waze is being activated from being tapped on from the springboard, or if it is being activated from waking from device sleep? If iOS makes this info available to apps, I think should act differently depending on the activation method: 1) tap on springboard: open and start GPS, network, etc. (wake up); 2) device awakened from sleep: Waze should stay in sleep mode.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dougstrickland wrote:This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.
That would be completely against the iOS guidelines, would it not. The home button has very limited use, but returning to another window/screen of the currently running app I don't think is one of the acceptable uses. Of course, Apple gets to ignore their own requirements any time they wish...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Waze will "wake itself up" if you sleep your phone directly from the "Waze is asleep" screen and then unlock your phone.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message