Cameras popping up in Las Vegas?

Post by andrewbc836
I just noticed there have been several cameras popping up on the map today in Las Vegas. Is there anyway to see who created them? It just says created by ##### right now.

As far as I know, there are NOT any cameras anywhere in the state, so do we just delete them, or what?

Thanks for the help.

Some links to a few on the map.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... ras=795525
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... TTTTTTTTFT
andrewbc836
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:13956329

Send a message
Last edited by andrewbc836 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
hit permalink and check the cam again. user id # showing is a bug.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Streetview is from 2011. Doesn't show cameras then. If you're local and can verify it's bogus, or if RLCs are illegal in NV, then delete it. Otherwise, you need to research to determine for sure, using local/county police and city websites and info to find out.

FYI: I delete 100+ cameras a week added by (idiot|misinformed|paranoid) drivers. It's "normal."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by andrewbc836
OK. So the ID's show up now. I edited and listed a few permalinks. Anyone in LV/NV confirm that these should be deleted?

Thanks.
andrewbc836
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by andrewbc836
Cool thanks. Last I read, just within the last few weeks, they are still illegal here in Vegas. We only have traffic cameras, and lots of those. Probably what's getting posted. I just hadn't seen any in the editor yet, and figured I would ask before I did anything with them. None of them are approved, so they shouldn't show up client side.

Thanks again for the response.
andrewbc836
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by cactusmonkey1966
Nev. Speed: Prohibited (with narrow exceptions) If hand held by officer, installed in vehicle or facility of law enforcement agency. No current programs. $1,000 max.; 4 points. (same)

Also lv Sun says bad for tourism, however being studied for future implementation. So no enforcement. But don't do it, there are a ought crazy drivers out here.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/fe ... red-light/
cactusmonkey1966
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Have you read Wiki yet? What's your favorite Wiki?
Area Manager Las Vegas Metropolitan area, Boulder City, Pahrump and Reno/Sparks NV
Map Editing Quick Start Guide
How to use PLACES

Post by cactusmonkey1966
Anthem golf course community is a large relatively new area where the guards at the gate freely tell every visitor they love giving tickets from their speed cameras and handhelds by security on golf carts. Funny thing is the golf carts only go so fast so if you get caught speeding, just go faster... Ha ha. But, no lights.

I'm deleting speed cameras as I find them. Maybe I should PM those with good IDs to let them know ...
cactusmonkey1966
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Have you read Wiki yet? What's your favorite Wiki?
Area Manager Las Vegas Metropolitan area, Boulder City, Pahrump and Reno/Sparks NV
Map Editing Quick Start Guide
How to use PLACES

Post by SuperDave1426
cactusmonkey1966 wrote:Nev. Speed: Prohibited (with narrow exceptions) If hand held by officer, installed in vehicle or facility of law enforcement agency. No current programs. $1,000 max.; 4 points. (same)
Per NRS 484A.600 - Use by governmental entity or agent of photographic, video or digital equipment to gather evidence for issuance of traffic citation: A governmental entity and any agent thereof shall not use photographic, video or digital equipment for gathering evidence to be used for the issuance of a traffic citation for a violation of chapters 484A to 484E, inclusive, of NRS unless the equipment is held in the hand or installed temporarily or permanently within a vehicle or facility of a law enforcement agency. (Added to NRS by 1999, 3278)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.910)

So any cameras showing up on the map in Vegas are pretty much due to someone who see a traffic camera and doesn't know what it is. I delete them regularly in Reno as they continue to pop up.

Now, there is a "loophole," of sorts, which allows for a private entity on private property (such as a HOA for a gated community) to install them and fine their members as long a certain criteria is met and they've provided adequate notification to their members, but those don't affect the general population at large and are pretty rare. We've got one such community up here in Reno; when a couple of speed cams popped up and I asked the reporter about it, I found out what was happening and about the loophole. I polled Waze Champs and so on to get an opinion. The consensus was that privately owned speed cameras should not be placed on the map. I don't think we have any private communities in Nevada that are large enough to need their own traffic signals, let alone a red light camera to go with them. :-D
Also lv Sun says bad for tourism, however being studied for future implementation. So no enforcement. But don't do it, there are a ought crazy drivers out here.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/fe ... red-light/
That's a rather old article in the LV Sun that you're linking to. :-) In 2011, the Nevada Senate did consider and reject a proposal to permit their use, on the grounds they violated the right of due process; in effect, you're being presumed guilty instead of the other way around. (Or words to that effect; I can't find the quote now.) I haven't heard anything that would indicate that they are considering anything currently.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
cactusmonkey1966 wrote:Anthem golf course community is a large relatively new area where the guards at the gate freely tell every visitor they love giving tickets from their speed cameras and handhelds by security on golf carts. Funny thing is the golf carts only go so fast so if you get caught speeding, just go faster... Ha ha. But, no lights.
Yea, well their "ticket" has a limited impact. If you're a resident then you're bound by the CC&Rs, which would have a clause in it permitting the HOA to fine them for those violations. Depending on how those rules are written, they could potentially make the residents responsible for their guests' unpaid tickets. And of course, in any "closed community" type of environment, they could bar a "speed racer" guest from further entry. But in none of the above cases would there be any points added to someone's driving record.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and you shouldn't take any of the above as legal advice. :-)

There are college campuses which have campus police forces that have arrangements with local police forces, and they actually can issue tickets that are the Real Deal (at least in California I've seen them; don't know if Nevada has any). I personally think it's unlikely that the local police would make similar arrangements with the security of a closed/private residential area, but it's always possible. Given that they're using hand speed checking devices (I'm guessing radar with no camera), as long as the other criteria are met, they might be able to issue an actual ticket. I'd suggest checking with the local police department (as a starting point) to see if that's the case here. (Again, just my opinion here.)

That said, they're still not fixed cameras, so wouldn't be appropriate on the map. :-)
I'm deleting speed cameras as I find them. Maybe I should PM those with good IDs to let them know ...
I would encourage you to do so. I know it can get tedious trying to send a PM and then getting the "no such user" message for each and every camera, but it could help you in the long run by letting those who you can reach (and pointing them to the Wiki page which shows what those cameras actually look like) of the law and that they're seeing the wrong thing. In that it save you from having to delete the next camera they add, anyway. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message