World's Mega Traffic Events - All You Need To Know

Post by
The World's Mega Traffic Events
Drivers Survival Kit

The Waze Community is working together to fight chaotic traffic events worldwide by

- Providing known closures and real-time data for unexpected hazards
- Helping drivers bypass heavy traffic during mega events in their area

First World Mega Traffic Event fought by the Waze Community – Tour de France
2.png
How it Works
- Champs source events and closure locations
- Dedicated Event Survival Kit website is created for expected closures and real-time traffic updates
- Waze app automatically re-routes users around all closures during the event
- Relevant users alerted via inbox about event road closures and live updates from the field

Letting Wazers Know
3.png
4.png
Results & Community Benefits

70% increase in activity of Wazers in preparation for the event
6.png
Growing the Community

11.14% increase in new Wazers joining the community before TDF
7.png
7% Increase in Total Kilometers Driven
8.png
- French Wazers drove over 200 Million Kilometers during TDF!
- Tens of thousands of French drivers visited the Drivers Survival Kit website
- PR coverage of event's road closures and community efforts (In countries where we have local PR)

Want your community to be next?

All significant events can be considered from long term events to marathons, concerts -
you name it!

- Let us know about any relevant event in your area by filling out this Form

- Until we have an automated solution to update road closures via the editor, events will be hand picked by localization experts and country managers and the team will work directly with the community

- Upcoming events will be announced in this new forum and be covered thanks to your contributions

So are you ready? We can't wait!

Orit

POSTER_ID:9752814

Send a message

Post by AdeinPerf
Perth City to Surf still showing closures at rush hour this evening.

Also noticed the map seemed to have gone back a few edits around Elizabeth Quay area.
AdeinPerf
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Success - Jandakot Western Australia

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
deeggo wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:There are two systems that are already working - 1) the in-app closure feature
Is it? I wish it would.
It does, but it is a rare to see working because it takes more than one user to close major roadways. A single user only has so much "power" and can't close major roads with a single report. We'd have a huge mess if one person could close major roadways during rush hour.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Jpere wrote:For instance, maybe the Area Managers/Country Managers can have a way to provide update suggestions to Champs.
That's what the forums are for... ;)
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
There are two systems that are already working - 1) the in-app closure feature and 2) the Traffic Events Center explained in the first post in this thread.

Please note that events submitted to the Traffic Events Center take time to process and be added to the system (it's not automatic yet).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
kodi75 wrote:Are closures submitted through this Event Traffic Center limited to the Tiles Update schedule, or are they more time-specific, for example, 8 pm on a Friday through 5 am the following Monday?
These closures are not limited to tile updates, and does support things like 8pm on Friday through 5am on Monday. Please make it clear that it is a continious closure when you are submitting it (so they do one continuous closures instead of a repeating closure that would close the road from 8pm to 5am the next morning for Friday night, Saturday night & Sunday night).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
kodi75 wrote:I submitted one for I-95 in Delaware. On the first page of the submittal I made it clear the times the roads would be closed. The second page (with the permalinks of the affected roads) does not allow me to specify a date along with the time(s).
Several of us have asked use to have them change that & allow date/time entry for each closure.

I'll take a look at what you've submitted & PM orit_y (Waze staffer who made the original post) to make sure they do it correctly. They may email your directly about this to verify things...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
mon4ch0 wrote:1. Is there a possibility to close a road automatically according to a specific characteristic of the city "behaviour"?. Example: Here in Bogotá Colombia we always close on sundays some specific main roads in order to let the people use them (By bike, walking, running, skating and so on) from 7am to 2pm.
No, there is another system for these reoccurring closures that is currently being beta tested. If you can get the info to a local editor with access to the beta version of WME they can add these restrictions and they will go live to the routing servers on the next tile build.
mon4ch0 wrote:2. When there's a monday holiday in Colombia, there's a special operation for the people that return to the city and some roads are close until 6pm.Is there a way to specify that behaviour even if a user is not able to be there to report the closure ? (There's a big chance that most users are not able to get there on time to report the road closed).
The system mentioned above does not support holidays at this time.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by argus-cronos
During one of our managed events the local time zone, anything else wouldn't make sense. But i would mention the time zone to be sure.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by deeggo
AndyPoms wrote:There are two systems that are already working - 1) the in-app closure feature
Is it? I wish it would.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
We have tried a couple of times to close a ramp with three champs and could rarely succeed to close it down. How often will you have three champs or more passing the same road works and taking time to close exactly the same turn? Never. So for me it just doesn't work.

I have never seen one in the wild.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!