HOV "Lanes"

Moderator: Unholy

Re: HOV "Lanes"

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 am

james9becker wrote:In response to CBenson's comments, another place where there are speed differences is at stop lights where the wait time is dependent on the direction taken after the light. It becomes even more fun when this intersection is at a freeway exit. Then there can be a multitude of potential directions. With different signal timing and right turn on red.

Waze already stored every segment-to-segment transit time. But this is quite a different situation than HOV lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 am

When I first joined we added the ~10 mile segment of I-680 S (Sunol to Milpitas) with an HOV/HOT lane. I drive it every day and have a Plug-in Prius so I can use it as a solo driver. The lane is not physically separated, but there is a double white line (illegal to cross) and various entrances and exits along the 10 miles.

I have played with the GPS sensitivity. Generally speaking with the way we have it mapped the freeway is wide enough in most areas to give about 2 lanes of separation. If I start my route before I am in the lane, Waze keeps me in the main lane while I cruise down the HOT lane (up here that lane is typically at the limit at all times). If I shut down Waze and restart it while I am in the lane, it usually shows me in the HOT lane and gives me the proper HOT exit points to get off the freeway.

When being routed in the main lane and I am in the HOT lane, Waze updates my ETA live with earlier times in 1 minute increments (does not build up and suddenly change my ETA with a message). I assume this is altering the main lane timing for the non HOT/HOV drivers. Since Waze is able to assess I am in the HOV/HOT lane when I first start navigating, I would think it could ask me if I am in that alternate lane after being there for more than a few miles. I also assume that since Waze tracks actual vehicle paths even though it displays me in the main lane, it hopefully is not adding my faster time to the main lane average speed.

If anyone takes a look at this segment of I-680 S note that I recently found out the way we set it up as a freeway lane is not what was proposed so we still have to update that.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:39 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:When being routed in the main lane and I am in the HOT lane, Waze updates my ETA live with earlier times in 1 minute increments (does not build up and suddenly change my ETA with a message). I assume this is altering the main lane timing for the non HOT/HOV drivers. Since Waze is able to assess I am in the HOV/HOT lane when I first start navigating, I would think it could ask me if I am in that alternate lane after being there for more than a few miles. I also assume that since Waze tracks actual vehicle paths even though it displays me in the main lane, it hopefully is not adding my faster time to the main lane average speed.

This will probably affect the "current traffic" speed, yes, but it shouldn't affect historical data, provided that the GPS traces are accurate enough. That's done with later analysis once your drives are uploaded.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 pm

sketch wrote:This will probably affect the "current traffic" speed, yes, but it shouldn't affect historical data, provided that the GPS traces are accurate enough. That's done with later analysis once your drives are uploaded.
I agree that's the likely case. The client has to operate on the assumption you're following its directions as accuracy isn't yet high enough across all platforms to conclusively determine you've actually deviated two lanes width without a lot of false positives.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion