Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Incorrect street signs

Post by dbwiddis
What do you do when users submit update requests because the waze directions (which match correct road names) conflict with incorrect street signage?

Two examples:
1. This intersection is on "S Martin L. King Blvd". So says every map I can access, including the county GIS. Every other street sign on that street says "Blvd." However, the sign at the intersection with Wall st. says "Martin L. King Ave". Should I (a) change a road segment to the "Ave" name so waze instructions match the sign? (Ugh), or (b) leave it as is and politely tell the user the sign is wrong? (What I just did, seeking confirmation.)

2. This intersection is on "N Rock Springs Dr." However, the (brand new) sign incorrectly says "W Rock Springs Dr." For this one, I just renamed the road "Rock Springs Dr." to avoid the issue entirely.

What would you do in these cases?
dbwiddis
Map Raider
Map Raider

POSTER_ID:13187541

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
You can always C) Report the incorrect signage to the Town/State DPW/DOT...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Be careful with those "honorary" designations, most of the time they are not permanent (we have one intersection that changes name each March (for one of the St. Patrick's Day Parades).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Daknife
Let alone we country managers having to fix every pot hole on every rural route. And my employer is starting to complain about the amount of time I've spent rebuilding a couple landslide damaged roads. :lol:

As to the OP, could it be that the city has designated that one stretch slightly differently for some specific reason? For example I've yet to find an official city map of SLC that identifies the block of 300 West between South Temple and 100 South as John Stockton Drive, or the one block of 100 S between 300 West and 400 West as Malone Drive. So named in honor of John Stockton and Karl Malone. Stockton drive and Malone Drive. I haven't put the names in as primary on the SLC maps and in SLC the grid number designators are almost always also listed, but the situation could be similar.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Very True, the one I use as an example has held that name Since Stockton and Malone retired. Then there is the road up to the nearby Cabela's that was named Cabela's Drive in it's honor when the store opened. Now Adobe just finished a big new building built across the road and it suddenly became Adobe Way.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by HandofMadness
Until we know more about Waze's final address solution, I'd say go with what the signage is. At this point, the only use for street names is for providing directions, and if the names in Waze don't match the name on the signs it can cause confusion.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
AndyPoms wrote:You can always C) Report the incorrect signage to the Town/State DPW/DOT...
What good is that going to do? I've reported the broken street light through Waze a half dozen times and its still broken.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HuckD
shawndoc wrote:
What good is that going to do? I've reported the broken street light through Waze a half dozen times and its still broken.
Oh no. Is Waze's street light repair department falling down on the job again???
HuckD
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
dbwiddis wrote:What do you do when users submit update requests because the waze directions (which match correct road names) conflict with incorrect street signage?

Two examples:
1. This intersection is on "S Martin L. King Blvd". So says every map I can access, including the county GIS. Every other street sign on that street says "Blvd." However, the sign at the intersection with Wall st. says "Martin L. King Ave". Should I (a) change a road segment to the "Ave" name so waze instructions match the sign? (Ugh), or (b) leave it as is and politely tell the user the sign is wrong? (What I just did, seeking confirmation.)

2. This intersection is on "N Rock Springs Dr." However, the (brand new) sign incorrectly says "W Rock Springs Dr." For this one, I just renamed the road "Rock Springs Dr." to avoid the issue entirely.

What would you do in these cases?
It is indeed a conundrum. I had this exact problem a couple of days ago. Someone reported that Lafitte St should be Lafitte Ave. I checked it out and in the blurry streetview image, sure enough, that's how it reads on the sign, at that particular intersection where the UR was left and the turn instruction was made. I checked every other sign for about 6 blocks in either direction, and not another one had Avenue on it.

So I changed that one block to Avenue. I don't really know if that was the right choice, but it will give correct TTS instructions. The street is one-way, so it shouldn't interfere with any other instructions where the signs are different. The streetview image is 5 years old, so if it's been like that for that long, it's unlikely to change anytime soon. For all practical purposes, Lafitte Street is called Lafitte Avenue in that one block (and being New Orleans, where streets are constructed, named, and given one-way/two-way direction without reason or rhyme, it may very well be intentional).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
shawndoc wrote:What good is that going to do? I've reported the broken street light through Waze a half dozen times and its still broken.
:o
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message