Driveways

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Driveways

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Someone should start a new thread for the Drive Thru discussion.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
Image
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 1799
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Californialand, USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 370 times

Re: Driveways

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).


I've been mapping them as conservatively as possible when MPs come up, but I agree with AndyPoms (and have been pestering the developers for months) that the display of these roads needs to change if we're ever going to have functional parking lot navigation because adding in all these PLot roads makes the map look REALLY BAD.
Image
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7560
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 967 times

Re: Driveways

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).


I've been mapping them as conservatively as possible when MPs come up, but I agree with AndyPoms (and have been pestering the developers for months) that the display of these roads needs to change if we're ever going to have functional parking lot navigation because adding in all these PLot roads makes the map look REALLY BAD.

Not to mention confusing...
Image
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 1290 times

Re: Driveways

Postby JJLatWayz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:40 pm

jondrush wrote:
1. Nearly universal agreement ("Rules"?):
b. Do NOT map driveways less than 10 meters long or that serve a single address or property.

I think the minimum should be 10m. I altered some other comments for grammar and split 2a into two topics to discuss separately.


If you change "do NOT map driveways less than 5 meters long that serve a single address or property" to "do NOT map driveways less than 10 meters long or that serve a single address or property", that would seem to lower the consensus and change it from an agreed rule to a general guideline.

Does anyone disagree that a driveway with parameters; 1) less than 5 meters and 2) serving a single address, should never be mapped?

Even if everyone agrees with the 10 meter change, by inserting the "or", it implies a driveway serving a single address should never be mapped regardless of length. Which would further erode consensus on such a rule. With the combined parameters as a rule, it's easy to tell an editor to stop adding every residential driveway along every street.

Perhaps it could be a rule just to say "5 meters" regardless of how many addresses are served by that driveway, and "10 meter/single address" is a rule of its own.
JJLatWayz
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Driveways

Postby russblau » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 pm

JJLatWayz wrote:
jondrush wrote:
1. Nearly universal agreement ("Rules"?):
b. Do NOT map driveways less than 10 meters long or that serve a single address or property.

I think the minimum should be 10m. I altered some other comments for grammar and split 2a into two topics to discuss separately.


If you change "do NOT map driveways less than 5 meters long that serve a single address or property" to "do NOT map driveways less than 10 meters long or that serve a single address or property", that would seem to lower the consensus and change it from an agreed rule to a general guideline.


Really? 10 meters is still a pretty trivial driveway. I just mapped my driveway out of curiosity (and then deleted it) -- it is 41 meters, out to the centerline of the street (so the street probably accounts for 2-3 meters of the total length). That's a bit longer than average in northern Virginia, but not by much. This is for a house that fronts directly on the street. Go out a mile or two west of where I live, to where the 2-acre lots are, and you'll find plenty of driveways that are well over 100 meters long.

EDIT: A 5-meter long driveway, allowing at least 2 meters for the distance from the end of the driveway to the center of the street, would basically be one car-length long. If you have a pickup truck, you wouldn't be able to park it in this driveway without the bumper sticking out into the street. That's a ridiculously low cutoff.
ImageImageImageImage
State Manager: District of Columbia
AM Northern Virginia/Washington, D.C./Sussex County, DE
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:36 pm
Has thanked: 138 times
Been thanked: 473 times

Re: Driveways

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:36 pm

I agree that 5 meters (about 16 feet) is too low. 10 meters is still fairly low and basically only covers houses inside city limits. At that point, almost any house in the country will be longer than then minimum. That doesn't mean they need to all be marked. I'd say any driveway under 15 meters doesn't need to be marked. I also think that over 50 meters may be too low. My driveway is probably around 75-80 meters and I wouldn't consider it long enough to be marked. I'd say nothing under 15 meters and anything over 100 meters. Anything in the middle depends on the various requirements (multiple houses, etc.). But I'm okay with 5m and 50m if that's the consensus.

Regarding drive-thrus, my opinion is simply that 1) mapping them prevents problems, and 2) you should worry more about fixing problems than worrying about whether or not you think it's too cluttered, and 3) unless auto-zoom is disabled, you aren't going to even see the parking lot roads if you're at about 25-30 mph unless you are navigating and a turn is coming up. If you're in a very slow part of a city, you may see them more often, but you'll also be going so slowly that you still won't see that many on the screen at the same time. If you're going fast enough to matter, then they won't be showing up anyhow. Yes, we want them made less visible. I've suggested using just a centerline for them. But as long as mapping one prevents problems - bad speed data and avoiding map problems - then I think it's a good idea to map them. Just keep pushing hard for changing the display of those roads. For that matter, we already can change color schemes... get Waze to put the width of roads into the configuration as well instead of being hard coded. Then everyone can have what they want for the display.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:34 pm
Location: Summerfield, NC
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 235 times

Re: Driveways

Postby JJLatWayz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 pm

russblau wrote:Really? 10 meters is still a pretty trivial driveway. ... [5 meters is] a ridiculously low cutoff.


I'm not disputing that. If 5 meters is ridiculously low, then it should be easy to get unanimous consensus to create an actual rule. If everyone agrees "10 meters" regardless of the number of addresses should never be mapped, great. I don't think I've been around long enough to cast a vote, but I have done enough editing and driving and using competing sat/nav to offer an opinion.

By the way, when I said "5 meters", I was thinking of physical distance, not virtual. The length of your driveway is the length from the edge of the street or public right-of-way, not the length from the center line of the road. So a literal 5 meter driveway, like my own, can not hold 2 cars parked end-to-end. At 5 meters, there is no room for confusion. If you've reached the closest spot on my street to my house, you could not possibly be confused about how to get to the right house. Having my driveway on the map can NOT benefit any aspect of Waze and NOT have my driveway would not harm Waze. It would indeed be ridiculous and I think everyone would agree. Even with multiple addresses off a 5 meter driveway, getting lost in the car is virtually impossible.
JJLatWayz
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Driveways

Postby jondrush » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Yeah, I boofed that one. I should have removed the "or single driveway" as the exceptions are covered.

I chose 10 meters because that seems to be the magical limit below which Waze ignores/gets confused by a segment. I don't create 10 m segments anywhere.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
Image
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 2629
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: South Eastern Pennsylvania, USA
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 497 times

Re: Driveways

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Riamus wrote:Regarding drive-thrus, my opinion is simply that 1) mapping them prevents problems, and 2) you should worry more about fixing problems than worrying about whether or not you think it's too cluttered, and 3) unless auto-zoom is disabled, you aren't going to even see the parking lot roads if you're at about 25-30 mph unless you are navigating and a turn is coming up. If you're in a very slow part of a city, you may see them more often, but you'll also be going so slowly that you still won't see that many on the screen at the same time. If you're going fast enough to matter, then they won't be showing up anyhow. Yes, we want them made less visible. I've suggested using just a centerline for them. But as long as mapping one prevents problems - bad speed data and avoiding map problems - then I think it's a good idea to map them. Just keep pushing hard for changing the display of those roads. For that matter, we already can change color schemes... get Waze to put the width of roads into the configuration as well instead of being hard coded. Then everyone can have what they want for the display.

Not to mention that drive-thrus don't look anything like regular roads on the map. I look at a map with mapped drive-thrus and I think "there must be a McDonald's there".

Making parking lot roads less obvious is gonna take more work than we thought, though. Road width is actually modifiable in the theme files, but parking lot roads don't have their own display type. It's shared with a couple other types. And we don't want private roads made smaller.

JJLatWayz wrote:I'm not disputing that. If 5 meters is ridiculously low, then it should be easy to get unanimous consensus to create an actual rule. If everyone agrees "10 meters" regardless of the number of addresses should never be mapped, great. I don't think I've been around long enough to cast a vote, but I have done enough editing and driving and using competing sat/nav to offer an opinion.

By the way, when I said "5 meters", I was thinking of physical distance, not virtual. The length of your driveway is the length from the edge of the street or public right-of-way, not the length from the center line of the road. So a literal 5 meter driveway, like my own, can not hold 2 cars parked end-to-end. At 5 meters, there is no room for confusion. If you've reached the closest spot on my street to my house, you could not possibly be confused about how to get to the right house. Having my driveway on the map can NOT benefit any aspect of Waze and NOT have my driveway would not harm Waze. It would indeed be ridiculous and I think everyone would agree. Even with multiple addresses off a 5 meter driveway, getting lost in the car is virtually impossible.

A literal 5 meter driveway can't hold a regular cab Ford F-150, at 5.41 m the shortest version of the best-selling vehicle in America. It can barely hold the best selling car, the 4.81 m Toyota Camry.

Including it in the standards as "Don't map driveways less than 5m long" will be interpreted as "Consider mapping driveways longer than 5m", which is way not optimal. Plus, I don't even know how it would be physically possible to fit more than one house on a driveway you can't even fit a single Crown Victoria in.

"Easy to get consensus" is not a legitimate reason to write a rule a certain way.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5693
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Has thanked: 1246 times
Been thanked: 1708 times

Re: Driveways

Postby mapcat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:48 am

I don't think we can honestly say that driveways longer than X should always be mapped. Here are some images for reference (for context, click to the right of each image for a permalink):

20.jpg
20.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
This driveway is approximately 20 m, and is of typical length in suburban areas of the USA.

200.jpg
200.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
These driveways are 200-300m long, but the houses are still within view of the road.

100.jpg
100.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
OTOH, this house is less than 150m from the highway, but it's obscured by two rows of trees and a railway. Does its curving driveway belong on the map?
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:29 am
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 196 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users