Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Aqualung812
Very good advice, thank you jasonh300.

As to the second part about a wiki entry? It took a great deal of time to filter through all the pages of comments on this & even to find this thread.

I fear that others will not take the time to find this & make their own calls.
I noticed a UR requesting a road near a driveway, and a rank 5 is saying that Waze typically does not add driveways, even though this one is aprox 500m and serves two homes:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa

I will discuss this with the editor first, but it sure would be nice to link back to a wiki entry saying what we do or do not do.
Aqualung812
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
tpainter wrote: Would more specific guidance be to only map them if an error shows up? Basically no premature mapping.
Not for System Generated Errors for drive-thrus. We mark them solved and move on.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
My 2 cents.

First,
mapcat wrote:- Don't map driveways just to make map problems go away.
I understand what's being said here, in that I understand that missing road MPs don't necessary mean there is a real problem with the map. That being said, I only map driveways where I can find some problem that is solved by their presence on the map. Which usually means 1) waze routing doesn't take you somewhere reasonably close to the entrance of the driveway without the driveway on the map and the routing is significantly improved with the driveway on the map, or 2) the driveway is complex enough that further directions are required after entering the driveway (e.g. the multiple residence served by a single driveway issue).

Second,
I think it would be very useful for standards regarding when to map driveways to be included in the wiki. However, I am also very opposed to any such standard implying that driveways that have been added to the map (as opposed to those from the base map) may be freely deleted because they don't meet the standards. No matter what standards we come up with, there will always be reasonable exceptions. Deletions should never be made without making an attempt to contact the creator.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Section Section 2D.43 of the MUTCD provides for other colors to indicate jurisdiction of the road, but there are not really different authorities for maintaining the roads in the five boroughs are there?
An alternative background color other than the normal guide sign color of green may be used for Street Name (D3-1 or D3-1a) signs where the highway agency determines this is necessary to assist road users in determining jurisdictional authority for roads.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:I would not think the addresses in a mall or other shopping center would have an address of the parking lot roads. I assume they are always on the main named road.
That's not how it always works around here. Of course it depends a bit on what you call a parking lot road.
http://local.safeway.com/md/gambrills-1596.html
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lon ... TFTTTTFTTT
kentsmith9 wrote: I would not advocate naming the parking lot roads even when named per another thread where we discovered the entire parking lot would need to be the one name
Why does the entire parking need to be one name? I don't remember the other thread.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Riamus wrote:It doesn't hurt navigation for the map to have the name on it even if the driver won't see a sign pointing to the road.
I now see what Kent is saying and agree. It can hurt navigation to give entrance roads to large mall/shopping complexes the name of the mall and leave the rest of the parking lot roads unnamed. Internally when exiting the lot I get turn instructions that use the name of the next named segment in the route. Thus, where there are multiple exits it is more helpful to be hearing the name of road at the exit I should be working towards, rather than a mall name that does not distinguish between exits.

However, if there are actual road signs that call different roads different names at the entrances or within parking lots, I think those names should be mapped.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Riamus wrote:
I disagree. If "Bollinger Crossing" is the name of the mall, and it's on a sign that looks like a street sign, the street should be named.

If you think it's confusing that it would continue to say "Bollinger Crossing", surely it would be far more confusing if it continued to say "San Ramon Valley Blvd" instead, which is what would happen otherwise.
As mentioned above, that makes exiting the mall not make any sense. If the road is named, then it makes sense to say to turn onto the road of that name than to say to turn onto some other road. If I'm going to the police station and the road leading to the parking lot is called Prison Way, the instruction should be to turn onto Prison Way and not to turn onto City Police Station. There isn't any reason why malls should be different.
Given a sign hanging from the traffic light that looks like this:
BollingerXing.png
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
I'm not seeing any difference in what the two of you are saying.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
WeeeZer14 wrote:(warning, hack approaching) Split the mall entrance into two one-way segments. Road in named Bollinger Crossing, road out un-named.

I can't think of the exact situation right now, but I know I have come across places where I wish a road segment could have different names depending on your approach. (And I don't think I used the above hack -- I just accepted a less than ideal state.)
I've seen it done, like here.

I'll also note where the road naming at the Annapolis Mall has evolved to. There is a named ring road, but the rest of the parking lot roads are unnamed. Thus, when entering the mall you are given instructions to turn at "Annapolis Mall." When in leaving the mall, you are given instruction to turn at "Annapolis Mall" to get to the ring road, but then to turn at the street you exit to to leave the ring road. I don't think anyone planned this, but it works well enough that no one has changed it recently.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
Someone should start a new thread for the Drive Thru discussion.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HandofMadness
jasonh300 wrote:
jdeyoung wrote:The need to have a driveway has more to do with the closest point to wherever a geo-coded address is indicated.
This is not a reason to have a driveway. The Waze internal addressing lets you assign both the location of the address (e.g. over the building), and a point on the road for an address (where the driveway meets the road).
If and when it ever goes live.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message