Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jasonh300
AndyPoms wrote:Aside from the occasional MP, I've never had a problem at my local McWendyKing with Waze (it is not mapped). So, why should we consider changing something that is working? I know Ehud wants these things mapped, but unless they fix the display issues associated with parking lots (and the navigation issues that I've heard send people to the wrong exit) I don't think we should change anything (yet).
I've been mapping them as conservatively as possible when MPs come up, but I agree with AndyPoms (and have been pestering the developers for months) that the display of these roads needs to change if we're ever going to have functional parking lot navigation because adding in all these PLot roads makes the map look REALLY BAD.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
MUTCD calls for green signs with white lettering, but I don't think they'll withhold federal funding over city street signs. Although this is the reason why NYC got rid of their historic color coded street signs, which really sucks. Who cares what color the signs are, as long as there's some contrast between the background and lettering.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote:Section Section 2D.43 of the MUTCD provides for other colors to indicate jurisdiction of the road, but there are not really different authorities for maintaining the roads in the five boroughs are there?
No. As far as I know, it's a city agency that handles that.

In City of New Orleans, all the street signs are blue.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
jdeyoung wrote:The need to have a driveway has more to do with the closest point to wherever a geo-coded address is indicated.
This is not a reason to have a driveway. The Waze internal addressing lets you assign both the location of the address (e.g. over the building), and a point on the road for an address (where the driveway meets the road).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:And this isn't good enough. 1) We don't name unnamed private driveways, so 2) Waze doesn't let you set the stop point on any road other than the main named one. This is a must for remote driveways and store addresses within parking lots.
Okay, so explain how this works. In the image below, assuming the address lookup is working, and the actual building for 118 is at point C, will Waze route you to point A, being the spot on the road that the address is assigned to, or will it still follow the driveway in to point B to get you as close as possible to point C?

If so, what's the reasoning behind even having a point A? If not, does the driveway provide any type of aid to navigation other than something to snap to when driving on the driveway, and when trying to leave?

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/d0rgrnsxmf4ldp ... 20Road.jpg

My response was *really* in reply to this:
jdeyoung wrote:since there's no point along the straight line for the client to know where to stop.
which is incorrect.

Point A will get you right to the intersection of the driveway whether it's there or not.

In this example here, unless I had driven that driveway, I never would've known it was there, and any attempt to draw in driveways like this is futile unless a Wazer is actually using them, and has put them in using the pave function.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
There is no "Driveway" road type in Waze. There is Private Road, which is the road type that is used on the occasion that a private driveway is to be mapped. Parking Lots are mapped using the Parking Lot Road type.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Aqualung812 wrote:So, did this topic die? I've recently restarted editing in my area & plan to add driveways in rural areas as private roads if they are >~100m.
I've searched the wiki & do not see an entry yet. Should I create something on the Wiki, or wait for more guidance from the rank 4-6 people I see discussing this issue a few months ago?
I think it's been accepted that long driveways like you describe are permissible to be added to the map, but I would recommend not going through the effort of drawing in driveways unless there's a known problem. Especially if there are other more productive things you can do to the map in your area.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Aqualung812 wrote:Very good advice, thank you jasonh300.

As to the second part about a wiki entry? It took a great deal of time to filter through all the pages of comments on this & even to find this thread.

I fear that others will not take the time to find this & make their own calls.
I noticed a UR requesting a road near a driveway, and a rank 5 is saying that Waze typically does not add driveways, even though this one is aprox 500m and serves two homes:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TT&env=usa

I will discuss this with the editor first, but it sure would be nice to link back to a wiki entry saying what we do or do not do.
This sounds like the very situation where a driveway is needed and permissible. Try to contact the Level 5 and point them toward this thread if necessary.

@kentsmith9 was doing a lot of the Wiki work, and may already have something going with this that never got completed. I'm hoping he'll see this and respond.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
The need to have a driveway has more to do with the closest point to wherever a geo-coded address is indicated. Not having a driveway mapped leads to URs that indicate missing road/incorrect junction - since there's no point along the straight line for the client to know where to stop. Ideally it seems like the driveway would be best left "invisible" on the client unless you actually needed it. I don't so much care about clutter in WME, because, well, that's what the WME is there for. That said, I hate seeing the maze of clutter near major intersections with lots of parking lot roads on the client - especially when I'm just simply passing by.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by JJLatWayz
Are there rules with which no one disagrees? Maybe the initial page here can be broken down into agreement groups so they no longer need discussion or can be prioritized for further debate?

1. Nearly universal agreement ("Rules"?):
a. Map driveways that serve multiple distinct addresses or properties.
b. Do NOT map driveways less than 5 meters long that serve a single address or property.
c. Mapped driveways should be marked as "Private Road".

2. General agreement ("Guidelines"?)
a. Map driveways over 50 meters especially if Waze might confuse being on that driveway for being on an adjacent street or vice-versa.
b. Map driveways if the address coordinates are likely to route to an adjacent road that is inaccessible to the address.
d. Do NOT map driveways just to resolve a UR or system generated error.
e. Do NOT map driveways just because they appear on other mapping services.

3. No current concensus ("Things to consider"?)
a. Name the driveway according to the street to which it's attached.
b. For named driveways, add house numbers.
c. Do NOT map commercial "drive-thrus".
JJLatWayz
Send a message