Wrong display of ETA in UI after translation

Post by yurasik2000
Hi guys!
While trying to complete Korean translation of waze interface, our translation team overlooked one problem which we cannot resolve until now even after thoroughly searching several times.
The problem is as follows:
When navigation is started to some destination, Waze client usually displays ETA, time & distance to destination. I've noticed that if interface is switched to Korean, ETA is not displayed properly.
Instead of actual time there is a string "도착 시간" displayed.
photo(bad).png
(120.67 KiB) Downloaded 2524 times
photo (good).png
(131.34 KiB) Downloaded 2562 times
Please see pictures: Korean version is wrong, Russian (and English, and many others) is correct (lower part of screen on black background).
I've checked all the translated strings, and the only text matching this translation is "arriving at". But this string is translated in other languages too, and still displayed correctly.
Did anyone have similar experience during translation?
Your hint on this problem will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot!
Yuri.
yurasik2000
Localizers
Localizers

POSTER_ID:3543715

Send a message

Post by robindlc
Hi Yuri,

We had exactly the same problem in Spanish (Latam). You can see here the different behavior between Spanish and Spanish (Latam). Now the problem is solved, but to be honest we did not discovered what was happening.

In my opinion this has nothing to do with translations. A numeric value has to be displayed, not a string. And since happened also in Spanish (Latam) we may also assume that it is not linked to Korean writing. :roll:
robindlc
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by yurasik2000
Hi robindlc,
thanks for your information.
I'll try to investigate further, but still hope it to be solved automagically with next client update :)
Regards,
Yuri.
yurasik2000
Localizers
Localizers
Send a message

Post by yurasik2000
Hi,
I've finally managed to solve this problem by replacing all occurrences of the displayed string in lang.korean file and finding the wrong one. This was translation of "ETA".
Then I just copied the source string into translation file and after Waze client restarted, correct arrival time was displayed. The weird thing is that the same string is translated in other language files, which makes problem hunting much more difficult. Why behavior of Korean (and Latam) translations were different than other languages?
Anyways, problem is solved! Waiting for the next client update to make Korean Wazers happy :)
Yuri.
yurasik2000
Localizers
Localizers
Send a message