Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clients

[ img ] This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Moderator: MapSir

Re: Test of Text-to-Speech (TTS) Abbreviations in Waze Clien

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed May 29, 2013 6:57 pm

jondrush wrote:Two recent abbreviations I've seen are L for lower and O for old. Anyone know how TTS would handle these?

I think those should just be spelled out.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Two recent abbreviations I've seen are L for lower and O for old. Anyone know how TTS would handle these?
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon May 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Here's a report of Waze properly pronouncing "County Rd" for the "Co" abbreviation. User is from Michigan.

https://twitter.com/sorcererdale/status ... 8604571648

It's the first I've heard of this.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon May 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Like I said, I think it's confusing, and a dedicated text control marked with a phonetic pronunciation label is the best way to go, assuming such input is needed.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Mon May 20, 2013 6:28 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:But in the long run, unless Waze creates some kind of administrator certification program to teach people these backdoor hacks [...]

"Certification program" for "backdoor hacks"? Oh, come on! :lol: Every single system or game has settings. They are confusing sometimes, that is why UI developers hide them under the "Settings" ;)

Yes, I really think the feature we use for one of a 100 road segments really deserve "to bypass the UI development process" like you said. And it's not only about immediate returns, but also about cluttering WME interface.

Examples?
  1. "Toll roads". There are many countries with no toll roads at all. But the option is there, easily accessible.
  2. "Lock", now with a dropdown box. How often do we use this feature? New editors especially.
  3. On the other hand, every single segment has an address. But we have to click "Edit" next to "Unnamed segment" and then "Apply".
So no, I don't like the way "WME system appears to be headed" :(
berestovskyy

Postby sketch » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Agreed. The nuances of map editing are confusing enough already. We don't need more of them, especially just for pronunciation.

Every GPS system on the market pronounces street names wrong all the time. Waze does some better, some worse than others. Yes, we like to be better than everyone, but the benefit we'd gain from this is small compared to the pain of editing this into every segment of the map Waze might get wrong.

People can figure out that "Arnoo" means "Arnoult" and not "Severn" or "Hessmer" or any of the streets nearby. It isn't crucial that Waze says it with the T like everybody in town. It's good enough not to have to worry about it THIS much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon May 20, 2013 2:53 pm

I guess so, but I still think turning what is now a nice guided form, that I'm sure a lot of effort was put into making it that way, into a general command console is a bad idea. Besides this being a giant step backwards for where the WME system appears to be headed, I don't care what cone level/rank an editor is; he/she should not have to learn an entire set of cryptic (by cryptic, I mean anything not written in a natural human language - with spacing, punctuation, and capitalization that you would expect in normal narrative text of a human language) to control their input. At the end of the day, we're map editing volunteers - that have real professions outside of Waze - not some sort of system administrators.

Look, this is just my $0.02 for what it's worth. From my experience as a UI developer, there will always be people who want to bypass the UI development process with hacks like this to get quicker immediate returns. But in the long run, unless Waze creates some kind of administrator certification program to teach people these backdoor hacks - and limits such editing to only those people, it will create confusion, which will compromise the accuracy, reliability, and ultimately the overall usefulness of the data, reducing it to just meaningless clutter in the database, something that many other conversation threads, as well as established editing policies clearly suggest is a major concern.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 am

PhantomSoul wrote:Frankly, introducing a hash tag syntax to names just further complicates a UI that already appears overwhelming for many new editors.

So we have suggested it works/appears for 3 or even 5 cones editors only. Also we can use Key-Value pairs "just like Alt names", not abusing alt names.

PhantomSoul wrote:A bigger caveat to this, however, might be how many editors are familiar with universal phonetic spelling, and how many of those are familiar with how to produce many of its whacky characters on a keyboard?

In fact, in Nuance it looks like this:

b a k w *r d z -> backwards

Here is the Nuance Grammar Developer's Guide (PDF), page 85.

A separate TTS field would encourage people to put there something. On the other hand, a Key-Value pairs would allow to fix TTS/shields etc for experienced editors only. And we know, the majority of the segments do not need any TTS correction or shields at all.
berestovskyy

Postby PhantomSoul » Sun May 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Frankly, introducing a hash tag syntax to names just further complicates a UI that already appears overwhelming for many new editors. Further, from my understanding, Twitter-style hash tags are intended for indexing hot words and related topics, not for altering the way input is handled. The WME is a guided input form that instructs you to make specific inputs for specific purposes, not a general command prompt.

If phonetic names are that important to have different behavior from the alternate street names (which appear to be intended for a future address resolution system; no TTS or banner display involved) then we should get Waze to add a text control that actually prompts for phonetic input. A bigger caveat to this, however, might be how many editors are familiar with universal phonetic spelling, and how many of those are familiar with how to produce many of its whacky characters on a keyboard?
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby vectorspace » Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 pm

mapcat wrote:The spreadsheet lists TR-xxx as a proposed abbreviation for Township Road.

Thanks. I looked at the spreadsheet to check but missed that. If so, I'll seek an alternative abbreviation with BIA.
vectorspace

PreviousNext

Return to United States