The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

How do you input addresses for roads with none currently?

Post by n8nagel
Hi all,

I apologize for the very generic subject but I can't think of a pithy way to describe my query... anyway, I have the *mechanics* of inputting the addresses into the map editor down, what I'm looking for is tips on how to do it *easily.*

I've been concentrating mostly on my little neighborhood, making sure the segments are being named properly, making sure everyone's addresses are correct, etc. A couple weeks ago I decided to put addresses on a street about 7 blocks long that didn't have any for some reason. When doing so, I discovered that it is not as easy as it seems - not the physical inputting of the data, but the gleaning of the house numbers off the physical buildings and making sure that they're in the right place. I ended up printing out some aerial photographs, walking the street, making handwritten notes, then coming home and inputting the data. That worked well, although it took several hours.

The next nearest little "neighborhood" is actually a business park, and those buildings also have no addresses associated with them. It's too far to walk, and also printing out aerial photos is unwieldy; how are you all handling this? Is there a way to use the map editor offline so I can just use my laptop from the car without having to have an Internet connection?

Just looking for ideas here... I'd love to help out more but this seems to be fairly difficult to do well and thoroughly...
n8nagel

POSTER_ID:11401730

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
n8nagel wrote:I'm feeling like there's a lot of documentation out there that I'm not seeing, but I did actually read the editing wiki, honest.
Yep, there sure is. There's usually discussion in the forums before it makes it into the wiki. There is some info in the forums about it... somewhere, and @WazeMapping has tweeted it. But this is straying off House Numbers...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by n8nagel
I think you got me pointed in the right direction, I found this

http://logis.loudoun.gov/weblogis/

which appears to be what we're talking about.

I assume that "on the ground" verification would have to be carried out afterward, but this looks like an excellent starting point.

I seem to recall coming across a thread asking for these resources to be sent somewhere, I'll see if I can dig that out and pass on this info, as at least in my little corner of the world the addresses are only partially input. thanks again!
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
yes, I found that before I saw your post, but we were thinking of the same thing. I did not think to post in the state forum, so that's an excellent suggestion and I have done so.

Unfortunately, I still can't clean up my 'hood as I don't have the ability to force addresses and a significant number of them need to be forced (it appears that there are two different numbering schemes that collided with each other, possibly a county vs. town issue?) so I've PM'd the area manager asking for that ability. But once I get that and I feel like killing an hour or two I bet I could really make a big improvement in this area. Thanks again for the idea, I feel kind of dumb not looking for that first but it just didn't occur to me.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
no exceptions? that's going to make getting this area done difficult, as I'm having a hard time finding an area where I can input street addresses without forcing at least half of them. Also going to make racking up numbers of edits difficult as I can't save any of them! Maybe it's time to revisit that policy, although I'm sure there's a good reason for it being in place. But I can see someone getting frustrated and just not editing anymore because they don't have the ability to really do anything useful.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
I understand what you're saying and I see that my last reply might have come across as somewhat pissy (actually, rereading it, it's hard to read it any other way) and I apologize. I guess my frustration comes from the fact that Loudoun County is pretty much a debacle from a mapping and addressing standpoint. None of the commercially available mapping programs really do a good job because you have a mixture of 3-digit addresses and 22xxx addresses on many roads, and the latter often don't fit into the numbering scheme because they're on the wrong side, out of sequence, whatever, it's just impossible to input them at all without forcing in many cases. I know that there are a couple shopping centers where if I input the mailing address to a store I will end up a mile or more away, it's really frustrating. I *could* go through and do what I can, but then someone will just have to go behind me and fill in everything that I couldn't do later which will take just as much time.

I know that the Waze addresses aren't "live" yet, but I was hoping that we could get to the point where they're ready to go live, because it would be so nice to have a mapping program that is actually reliable...

I think I understand most of what you're suggesting as other edits, although I'll offer that at least in my area the roads are pretty good, it's the aerials that are out of date. That's actually how I got into mapping in the first place, I was one of the first people to drive on a new road after it opened and when I checked it out in the map editor I found that it had already been drawn but hadn't been properly connected to the roads that intersected it, next thing you know I'm playing around with the editor. I'm trying not to stray too far from the areas where I really do know the roads well and they for the most part seem to be pretty good, although I did just find something today that I need to go check out next time I go for a drive...
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
Getting OT here, but your post was probably unintentionally useful to me... I wasn't really cognizant of "soft turns" before and your comment prompted me to look into it... now I've had to go back and re-edit areas that I thought were all under control save for the house numbers. Every cul-de-sac seems to not have had someone click on the u-turn, and there are a LOT of cul-de-sacs and dead ends... well, I still don't know how to get to 10K edits, but when I'm reviewing an area now I will probably be making a lot more edits than I was previously.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
Damn, wish I'd have known that before I started on them... got something to do I guess. None of the cul-de-sacs anywhere in the area had had the turns set so I didn't really have an example to follow. I'm feeling like there's a lot of documentation out there that I'm not seeing, but I did actually read the editing wiki, honest.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
yeah... getting back on topic

I am noticing something... still haven't ventured outside a mile or two of my neighborhood yet... too much to clean up now that I'm into it. but what I'm noticing is interesting... many of the cul de sacs already have street addresses but at least one will be missing at the end of each... and it's a royal PITA to get the driveway points all lined up so that WME will accept them without the ability to force.

I'm wondering if the addresses that exist were automatically generated at some point in time off GIS maps? It seems that where I'm finding that the addresses don't exist is if the GIS maps aren't zoomed in far enough they don't show because there's other text right on top of them.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Yeah, check for any parcel maps for the area. Sometimes they are included in the location's GIS maps, but may just be available in paper form or image form. Other than that, for areas where the addresses are visible from the street, hook up your phone, camera, or camcorder in your car and record a video while you drive slowly down the road. You can then get the numbers from there without having to write them down on a printed map. It's at least a little easier. Unfortunately, there's no super easy way to do this.

Just be careful with houses on corners. Note if their address number is out of sync with the road their driveway is on. There are times when the driveway isn't on the road that matches their address if they are on the corner. The address would need to be on the right road rather than where the driveway is actually located. At least until we get the ability to place the stop point on an alternate street.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.