Restrictions, restrictions, restrictions: page draft

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Restrictions, restrictions, restrictions: page draft

Postby sketch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:30 am

Hey, I've been busier than expected with school starting back up. I haven't had much time to be on the forums, much less do any major map editing or write an entire wiki article. I may have some time to flesh out some language one evening next week, but I can't promise anything right now.

I think we've laid out a pretty good framework for it, though, so if anyone wants to step in that should be fine. I'm certainly willing to spiff it up later.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Riamus wrote:Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly start updating the images anyhow. Having current images is better anyhow. And updated full-size images of the WME would now show the street view icon and can include the street view itself when it's useful to display.

This is already done, for my part of updating the main WME wiki page and the Editor Interface page.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:11 am

Although I don't know much about licensing map images, I think kentsmith9 hit on the main point. If created when you have the license, you don't have to get rid of it as soon as the license expires. If that were true, a game that lost its license (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) would have to shut the game down immediately. That isn't the case. Instead, they can continue to have the game running, but they cannot continue to develop more for the game without the license or create new games related to the license.

Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly start updating the images anyhow. Having current images is better anyhow. And updated full-size images of the WME would now show the street view icon and can include the street view itself when it's useful to display.
Riamus

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:34 am

Already sent. :(

I really do not think we have to do anything. The images were used at a time they were permitted. If I sent out brochures that used an image I had licensed for one year, I don't have to recall those brochures with those images, I just cannot create new documents with them.

Therefore I presume we will just start using the Google images for screen shots as needed for new articles and references.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I will send along that question.

Better to be told later or at least update them slowly over time....
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Speaking of contracts, I wonder if the Waze contract transition from Bing to Google aerials will force all Wiki images to need to be updated. :shock: :?:

I will send along that question.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:10 am

We're going to need Restrictions page pretty much done this week.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:17 am

sketch wrote:And I doubt they'd be allowed to let any of the editors use them in that case, not even the beta test group. If they weren't licensed to Waze, we couldn't use them to edit.

In all likelihood you are probably correct. However in my real life I work a lot with our legal team and I have seen some pretty amazing things slip by pretty far without someone confirming the long debated agreement that both parties intended to sign, actually got signed. :oops:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:24 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
sketch wrote:I can't imagine posting screenshots of our editor in our user documentation would be a problem. Plenty of Bing aerials in the wiki.

The Bing aerials are already licensed to Waze, so they are not a problem. We are presuming with good faith that the Streetview images are also being licensed to Waze, but as you said, until it is in the released editor, we might be wrong that the license agreements are all signed and complete. I agree to hold off putting the street view images in the wiki until the editor is released with the street view link from Waze.

I'm pretty confident that Waze wouldn't bother programming a probably somewhat difficult-to-program feature into the editor at all if they didn't have permission. And I doubt they'd be allowed to let any of the editors use them in that case, not even the beta test group. If they weren't licensed to Waze, we couldn't use them to edit.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:27 am

sketch wrote:I can't imagine posting screenshots of our editor in our user documentation would be a problem. Plenty of Bing aerials in the wiki.

The Bing aerials are already licensed to Waze, so they are not a problem. We are presuming with good faith that the Streetview images are also being licensed to Waze, but as you said, until it is in the released editor, we might be wrong that the license agreements are all signed and complete. I agree to hold off putting the street view images in the wiki until the editor is released with the street view link from Waze.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion