The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by dude463
This is a base map import and I find it so hilarious I haven't had the heart to change it yet.
Does Not Exist.jpg
(230.16 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
dude463
Send a message
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.

Post by DwarfLord
jondrush wrote:Someone fancies themselves as a Places artist.
The same artist did the Santa Barbara airport. Nobody has had the heart to convert that one to wiki compliance yet either.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
MapWrangler wrote:What has been deleted (from the Live Map) isn’t the “roadways” I added -- rather it is the positioning/placement of the buildings (stores) in the new shopping center. This includes Walmart, Panera Bread, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Pet Smart, McDonalds, etc. etc.

Like, I imagine, most map editors, I took considerable care and time to accurately position these new buildings and features.

Why would these be deleted?
Are referring to "Places" you may have created?

Please see https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places for the overview of Places, and https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places/Parking_lot for specific guidance on the Parking-Lot Place.

As you will see, there are two kinds of Places, "point" and "area". There should be little argument over any point places you add as long as they are correct and not something specific just for you personally.

Area places (formerly known as landmarks) are a different story because they render in the client, and there is concern that marking everything with an area place could lead to an excessively busy appearance and the loss of true landmarks amidst a sea of fast food and ATMs. While there is controversy about the "right" density of area places, current guidance leans towards less dense. A detailed table in the Places wiki says what is eligible for an area place.

I am guessing you created a bunch of area places that don't comply with the wiki and a "jolly editor" came and deleted them. A much gentler solution would have been to convert them to point places, but not everyone does that. Or, maybe the editor did convert them to point places and you didn't realize it yet depending on the zoom level with which you inspected the scene of the carnage...?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
San Francisco International Airport was recently changed to "United Airlines San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA". Not quite as bad as other corruption (like when Santa Clara University was changed to "7/11" or San Bruno Mountain State & County Park was changed to "Day's Inn") but still bad. It had been locked at 4! I submitted it as a potential case of buggy auto-approval, but the word came back that a Rank 4+ editor had indeed approved it.

Who is more jolly, the editor who submits the corrupting data or the editor who rubber-stamps it???

Double groan!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
If the update is from a trusted Rank 4+ source, I would assume it would still show that editor in the modification info? The corruption I saw was attributed to a Rank 1 editor. The approving editor, as always, is safely anonymous...sigh.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
voludu2 wrote:Day 1: add 500 PLRs
Day 2: remove 500 PLRs
Day 3: promoted to rank 2.
Which is why, if I'm going to lock perimeter and arterial PLRs against getting connected to this stuff, I lock 'em at 3.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by erablian
Riamus wrote:
bigbear3764 wrote:
Riamus wrote:Not created by an editor, but I think it fits best here... I wonder what this stands for.
How old the trees are?
No idea. They look like they are at least 10 years old from the aerial.
Could they be 26 years old? Michigan had its sesquicentennial in 1987.
erablian
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///b4c5Sh[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]

Post by Firree
Not sure where exactly this street name came from.
wrong.jpg
(242.64 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
Research shows some jolly editor probably made it up, but why?
right.jpg
(104.35 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
Firree
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by Firree
...but it was 99 cents!
Firree
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message