These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by sketch
jwriddle wrote: Preposterous! That would mean the existence of some sort of metric system. Tomfoolery!

------------------------
Sent from iPhone 4 via Tapatalk 2
I measure my gas prices exclusively in tuppence per mutchkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
bigalgeorge wrote:Using today in brilliant sunshine, the auto day/night remained on night. This has never happened using other nav apps and there is no issue with the phones light sensor.
I tried stopping and starting the route but it remained same. Once I changed the route the software sensor started working correctly. Surely not the software determines the screen settings at start and retains it for the full route?
There is a known bug: if the client has been running for over half an hour when the auto day/night is supposed to switch, it will not switch.
foux35 wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Day and night mode is based on local sunrise and sunset. Not the light sensor.
That's quite a weird choice. Why is that?
Light sensors can be flaky and are different from one phone to the next. A car with tinted windows might choose might mode in the middle of the day, and a car with a panoramic sunroof might choose day mode at night on a well-lit road.

All GPS apps and devices I have used work similarly to Waze—time, not sensor (minus the bug).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
If it's cloudy, it's still daytime. Your phone's OS will make the screen less bright, and the Waze color scheme will still match the time of day.

Having the entire color scheme change as you move in and out of a thunderstorm is a huge distraction and a terrible idea for road safety.

Google "android auto brightness" and you'll see hundreds of complaints about how terrible Android's auto brightness setting is, with a few apps that fix it or claim to fix it. If you can't trust Google or phone manufacturers to know how to make their light sensors speak to their OSes, do you really think we can trust Waze to do it? Waze can't even get the time-based auto night mode to work right.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Sometimes, when I'm stopped at an intersection, Waze will react badly to GPS drift, thinking I'm on the intersecting road or on the other side of the current road if it's split, and sometimes Waze will recalculate my route even though I haven't moved. It's a bit silly that Waze takes so long to recalculate when I'm on an exit ramp 100 feet off the road but will immediately recalculate when it thinks I'm 10 feet away on another lane or road.

This has been mentioned before, and I think Perlin asked for logs. I sent my logs earlier this afternoon.

I took a screenshot each time this happened so that I would have a time and date stamp.

Please check my recently submitted logs at:
14 Aug 2013, 15:42 CDT
21 Aug 2013, 21:25 EDT
22 Aug 2013, 22:10 EDT

I've uploaded the three screenshots in question here:

In the second and third example, there was no recalculation, but I was stopped at the light before each of those right turns.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by SS-XJ
Same problems here. iPhone 4

3.7.1 constantly crashing. Sometimes wouldn't even send logs. Reports from events nowhere on my route. Uninstalled, rebooted, re-downloaded/installed multiple times.

Found a copy of 3.5.2 in an old backup and reinstalled it. It is stable but, getting reports from events not on my route.

Uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded/installed 3.7.2. Constantly crashing. Screen darkening/locking after reports. only used for an hour. Uninstalled, rebooted, re-downloaded/installed multiple times.

Went back to 3.5.2
SS-XJ
Send a message

Post by tallyg8tor
invented wrote:I had a "Calculating Route, Please Wait" prompt stay on the screen for 13 minutes today.
w0rdr wrote:Waze is never finishing the routing process. I'm trying to get a route from Castle Rock, CO to Plattsmouth, NE, it finds the address immediately, says, "let's go" but displays "Calculating Route" endlessly and never draws it on the maps. I've uninstalled and re-installed the program several times, verified that I have internet connection (or I couldn't be submitting this), etc. I used to really love this app, but it hasn't worked on my iPad since 3.7.2 was installed. The iOS version on my iPad is 6.1.3. So far, for this try, Waze has been displaying "Calculating Route" for over an hour, this after the 2nd time I uninstalled and reloaded the app.
I have the same problem since 3.6.

After opening, I'll get a suggestion for my destination. It will countdown to go, and then I'll see calculating route forever. If I open the menu, the calculating route icons remains on the screen obstructing the map. Opening a menu option that shows another calculating style icon will clear out the old icon.

Often, choosing a destination manually will successfully set it and get rid of the calculating icon, but occasionally it won't.

I think I may have to downgrade to 3.5.3.
tallyg8tor
Send a message

Post by TheBrat
I'm finding that my Drives are being broken down into increments of 1 to 3 minutes. My phone is on my dash and I'm driving on a highly populated highway. I don't think I'm losing internet connection.
TheBrat
Send a message

Post by Trakr
I have an iPhone 4 ver. 5.1.1. It crashed the first day I went to work after the upgrade that was to fix Waze crashing. Funny thing is the next day it crashed again and I was in about the exact same place on my route as I was the first day it crashed. I did'nt have anything running except Waze and a route in. Am not using any connection or anything for sound and I don't have a Facebook account so nothing there. It hasn't crashed either day coming home, but I go a different route.

I also am still not getting any reports when stopped since about 3 upgrades ago. I do get ads though when stopped at intersections.

I will see if it crashes in the same place again when I go to work again and will come home the same route to see if it crashes in the same place coming home.
Trakr
Send a message
Tampa, FL area, AM Level 4

Post by vwmvwm
I have had problems through two version updates of Waze of having my iPhone screen go blank when using voice commands. Using "3 fingers or wave twice" or "3 fingers or wave" the screen goes blank and I need to reactiviate the screen by pressing the Home button. When using the "3 finger tap" the problem clears.

Reinstalling the app made no difference.
vwmvwm
Send a message

Post by W0RDR
Waze is never finishing the routing process. I'm trying to get a route from Castle Rock, CO to Plattsmouth, NE, it finds the address immediately, says, "let's go" but displays "Calculating Route" endlessly and never draws it on the maps. I've uninstalled and re-installed the program several times, verified that I have internet connection (or I couldn't be submitting this), etc. I used to really love this app, but it hasn't worked on my iPad since 3.7.2 was installed. The iOS version on my iPad is 6.1.3. So far, for this try, Waze has been displaying "Calculating Route" for over an hour, this after the 2nd time I uninstalled and reloaded the app.
W0RDR
Send a message