Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Riamus
Once we have a POI system where you just have an icon at a point on the map, it will be nice to have these on the map (and other items). Until then, the landmarks just start looking like a mess when you add a lot of unnecessary ones to the map. That and the rule is currently not to map them even if it did look fine. I personally don't like seeing a ton of landmarks on the map because they just look bad. I don't care for the patchwork quilt look. But I don't mind seeing POI icons at the various points with optionally a text label for at least the important ones.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
On the subject of landmarks, is there any opinion on waste transfer stations? These are places where you might drop of recycle items or trash and where waste is sorted. Map, don't map? If we map them, what landmark would be used? Government building considering it's typically a county owned site? Considering these are places where the public can usually drop things off, having them marked seems like it could be of use. Along the same lines, there are also town dumps where you can drop trash off. Any opinions on either of these types of locations?
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Landmarks are fine when not overused. Too many are marking every single business, which isn't correct. That's why you see a mess. When only the items listed here are marked, it doesn't look bad at all.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Users are not required to use navigation. They are free to drive using just the map. At which point, yes, landmarks are useful.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
DG567 wrote:Yes, that's true, but at the moment Waze shows landmark labels in the distance in 3d view. "Such and such senior school" or "Whatever town country park" are long strings of text to have floating around the top of the map.
Perhaps the answer is to change the way Waze displays landmark labels, or to have them as an optional layer, then editors can add them at will without detracting from the basic function of providing clear navigation instructions.
I have no problem with landmarks being optional for display in the client. But as far as the labels go, if people aren't landmarking everything, those long labels really aren't a problem. They wrap and you're unlikely to see more than a few at any given time as long as the editors are not landmarking everything. The text tends to be clear enough from other text that it doesn't really affect the ability to see the map or road names or usability of the app. In any case, that's no reason not to map the landmarks.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Perhaps, but not in the US, which is the Wiki page we're discussing. :)

The unfortunate thing is that any national standards we adopt tend to be ignored in certain states, such as Florida saying they're going to landmark anything at least until there is a POI system in place regardless of any US standards. Because there isn't any actual enforcement of policies except by local editors, getting standards to work is difficult at best. My hope for landmarks is that once the POI system is in place, we'll see most of these editors drop the use of landmarks in the places that are technically not allowed in favor of using the POI system.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
WeeeZer14 wrote:I just always found roads and landmarks snapped to each other to be annoying for some reason.
You are not the only one that finds that annoying. It makes it harder to edit the geometry of either one when they are on top of each other.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
CrackedLCD wrote:In that case, why should we even label malls and other big landmarks anything other than parking lot, if they all look the same?
Now that parking lot roads are fixed I don't use parking lot landmarks anymore. You can add in extra roads in cases where a landmark may have been needed before.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
DG567 wrote:
pitzikun wrote:I'm personally going to delete road'ed parking lots that fit the jumbled mess criteria and replace with landmarks. Then on the main roadway, put very short road segments to denote where a parking lots entrance and exit is located.
That's ok for wazers driving TO the parking lot, but Waze will place you on the nearest road which may be outside the lot, so when you are LEAVING, your route may start from the wrong place if you are parked near the edge. You need to map parking lot roads around or through it to prevent this happening.
I have played with full grided parking lots, landmark only lots and a couple of steps in between. I personally have found that landmarks are no help when driving. A full grid is the most helpful however some/many of the roads take forever to get data and stay in a pac-man state long enough to be irritating. So from my experience I have come to the conculsion that the minimalist guidelines in the wiki are slightly too bare and like to add about every 4th road or so to the lot.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by skbun
AndyPoms wrote:The water layer already contains names and they display in the client. Waze is also currently working on the water layer (starting with the coast lines) and we don't want to interfere with that work. The national language will reflect that and leave the door open to reevaluate once Waze completes this work.

Just for the record, the water itself shows in the client, but names don't unless editors added water objects. Have a look yourself. They DO show in Livemap, but I've never seen anything suggesting they are the 'same layer'. Are we sure about this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA