Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
EdHans wrote:I personally despise the "sleep" function. It is too easy to tap the screen and wake the darn thing up. I want it to "Quit" and am considering just killing it with the iOS 7 task killing function going forward. When I am done driving, I am done, and I don't need Waze in the background at all for any reason. Just exit! It doesn't start any faster, so I am not sure how this is a benefit to the user at all.
Thanks for reading this thread so you understand exactly why it is this way. 1) Apple required it (would not approve Waze future versions with "Exit"), 2) It works exactly as before, just doesn't drop you to the Springboard (Apple forbids it), 3) Just tap the Home button and it consumes the EXACT same amount of resources in the background now as it did before with the "exit" menu item = none.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
vitielj wrote: (2) put you back on the home screen.
Wishes wishes... You did read why it can't in this thread right? Go complain to apple.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dkahn63 wrote:I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....
Based on the moronic statement made here, I'm surprised dkhan63 could figure out how to turn on a smartphone.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kjstech wrote:Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior?
sketch wrote:Why not leave it asleep when unlocking but not when launching from the Home screen? Simply, I don't think this is possible in iOS.
iOS activates the last app which was open when locking the phone. It may be possible, however, for Waze to not actually Wake Up when activated, but that would also require you tap the "Wake Up" button even if you just tap on Waze from the springboard when you had previously put it to sleep. It would not just affect waking from Lock.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
dkahn63 wrote:I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....
Don't thank Google, thank APPLE. This is an APPLE requirement, it has NOTHING to do with Google's purchase of Waze.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by annieberyl
I might also "assume" that sleep meant the app was still running....off is off.
annieberyl
Send a message

Post by anti-privacy
Well, after upgrading yesterday (iPhone 4) and returning home I discovered the change to "sleep". Unfortunately, while my son was watching television he told me it woke my phone about an hour after I retired. He hit the top hold button and the screen went dark. Two hours later it did the same thing. He repeated the action. After he retired; some point during the night it woke again and burned the battery down to 5%. No other apps running; no alarms, reminders or messages (text, voice or mail: I don't use this phone for much other than voice and nav). Each newer iteration of this app lately is giving me reason to reinstall GPS Drive. Couple that with the huge number of "Unknown" major highways being displayed lately and this app is one step away from being uninstalled.
anti-privacy
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
This change happened to CamerAlert a few months back, I've been kind of expecting in Waze since then as the CamerAlert Devs said it was forced on them by apple. :(
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
For what it's worth Tomtom for iOS v1.15 (released 2nd sept 2013) now has a virtually identical shutdown system (not that I use it any more as the maps are always 12 months+ out if date).

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/aqeha6us.jpg
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by dkahn63
I Figured out how to get the exit button working on IOS7 - I uninstalled Waze. pretty simple, other users thought that was annoying, and did the same... thanks google....
dkahn63
Send a message