Multi-language pronunciation

Post by halfvolstruis
Hi folks,

Here in South Africa we have many street names in English (which Waze speaks) and many in Afrikaans (which Waze speaks as if it is English). There are also names in other languages, especialy Zulu, Xhosa and Sotho - all of which produce bizarre pronunciation when read as English. I turned today into "Wessel" road, which is an Afrikaans name, and pronounced exactly like "Vessel". Similarly, I drove on "Okkerneut" avenue, which is pronounced "Orc er neart". It would be really handy to be able to submit "English equivalent pronunciation" that makes these names somewhat less laughable, so that when I go to "Malibongwe" drive, Waze can say "My Leigh bong where" instead of saying what you would read if you believed it to be an English word. It would be great to drive on "Olifantsfontein" road and hear "Oh leigh funts fontain". Similarly, "Andrew Mapheto" drive can be better pronounced "Andrew Mapetto" (there's no "f" sound, and it's a short "e").

Waze is not alone in this: The land line telephone company here, Telkom, automatically reads out SMSs that are sent to telephones. It is a bizarre joke to send a non-English SMS to your friends :)

Does the feature of proper pronunciation exist?
halfvolstruis

POSTER_ID:16791028

Send a message

Post by Kuhlkatz
It's not only Waze that 'suffers' from this. Many apps that does TTS in English will have the same problem with pronouncing foreign language names and phrases. Even some of the English names are getting butchered.
We have no way of overriding the pronunciation at this point. Hopefully this could be added in future.

Just an FYI. We have done an Afrikaans translation for the web, client menus and messages. Waze uses Nuance for TTS in the back-end. Unfortunately, they do not support Afrikaans, so we don't have TTS support for that either.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing