Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by dougstrickland
sketch wrote:
mwburn wrote:Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
Nah, you're misreading the Apple document.

A single press of the Home button never does anything besides exiting the currently active application. An app does not have the opportunity to warn a user about anything once the home button is pressed (other than possibly via a push notification, in certain circumstances). The language about alerting a user to a problem is in the context of an error which does not close the app but which limits its functionality somehow.

"A: There is no API provided for gracefully terminating an iOS application.
In iOS, the user presses the Home button to close applications."

Apple wants to be sure that all their apps provide a consistent experience. Most likely Waze didn't just choose to enforce this now—probably someone at Apple caught on and told Waze "take the shutdown feature out or we won't approve the next version of your app".
This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.
dougstrickland
Send a message

Post by EdHans
I personally despise the "sleep" function. It is too easy to tap the screen and wake the darn thing up. I want it to "Quit" and am considering just killing it with the iOS 7 task killing function going forward. When I am done driving, I am done, and I don't need Waze in the background at all for any reason. Just exit! It doesn't start any faster, so I am not sure how this is a benefit to the user at all.
EdHans
Send a message

Post by faitaru
Can we ask the specifics of Apple's requirements? While the text on a button is inconsequential it would be interesting to know why Apple are forcing the change.

Is the Sleep screen also required by Apple? It seems to serve no purpose other than adding an extra button press to 'close' the app.
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 4S • iOS 8.2 • Waze 3.9.3928.928
AM for Nowhere :(UK Country Admin • iOS Beta Tester • Mega Driver
UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area ManagerWaze Status

Post by faitaru
I guess that link gives some clarity to the change, although I would agree waze seem to be using a big hammer for a small nail here.

In terms of the sleep screen, I can understand the want to inform the wazer that the app is not exiting and merely dropping to background, but do they really need to see it every single time they 'sleep' the app? I see the screen up to 30 times a day. Maybe an option for it (defaulted to on).
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by faitaru
Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by faitaru
sketch wrote:That's been fixed in 3.7.3.
It does not work /every/ time. Sometimes it wakes up on it's own, sometimes it requires the button press.

Is it maybe a problem dependant on what kind of apps you use between waze? Maybe apps that use GPS are causing a problem?
faitaru
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by fezzzer
How will Waze now upload drives? I always thought this happened when the app shut down.
fezzzer
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
dougstrickland wrote:This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.
I'm no way an iOS expert, but IIRC the bookshelves are (or appear to be) integrated to the home screen?
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by gettingthere
fezzzer wrote:How will Waze now upload drives? I always thought this happened when the app shut down.
Your GPS points are being uploaded constantly as you are driving. The 'drive' is built afterwards by a process that runs on the Waze infrastructure. If the GPS points were not being updated continuously as all Wazers drive there would be no such thing as 'real time' traffic in Waze.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jhh3000
is it possible for waze to save the route when you put the program to sleep, so that when it wakes up, it doesn't have to recalculate from scratch?
jhh3000
Send a message