Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

3 quik newbie questions.

Post by ArtieD2
1. I noticed after installing Waze, that I no longer have the Google Maps Navigation app. Did Waze overwrite it? (That would piss me off.) ;)

2. How long does it take for Waze to "learn" your preferred route to somewhere? I take a slightly different route home from work than Waze suggests. How many times must I drive my preferred route before Waze "gets it"?

3. What is a "wazer"?

Thanks all.
ArtieD2

POSTER_ID:16791792

Send a message

Post by ArtieD2
Thanks Dknight and Riamus for the info.

And Dknight . . . I'll be polite. Sometimes tongue-in-cheek doesn't translate well in a forum. :)

This looks like a great app, once I get the bells and whistles down pat.

Artie
ArtieD2
Send a message

Post by dknight212
ArtieD2 wrote:1. I noticed after installing Waze, that I no longer have the Google Maps Navigation app. Did Waze overwrite it? (That would p*** me off.) ;)

2. How long does it take for Waze to "learn" your preferred route to somewhere? I take a slightly different route home from work than Waze suggests. How many times must I drive my preferred route before Waze "gets it"?

3. What is a "wazer"?

Thanks all.
Hi, Artie. Thanks for installing Waze and taking the time to come to the forum to find some answers.

Why do you think Waze has overwritten google maps? (Clue: it won't have done). I'm guessing you're using Android and have set Waze as the default navigation app. You can still run Google maps directly from whatever launcher you are using and/or you can reset the default app for navigation.

Waze does not learn your preferred route and this is a very confusing (if not outright incorrect) part of the app description. Waze will learn your common destinations and the time you go, so if you start up Waze at 8am it will ask, "are you going to work?". Waze will sometimes give the appearance of learning your routes as it learns how the speed of different segments of road. If your preferred route is indeed the fastest, then Waze will select it. But the whole point of Waze is to provide you with the quickest journey time (or if you really wanted, the shortest distance) and your preferred route may or not be the quickest either all the time or on some days.

A Wazer is anyone using the app and therefore also the little Wazer icons denoting other drivers you will see as you drive around (only a small proportion of the actual number of drivers).

There are several FAQs which you could usefully read (find some of them via my sig).

PS please try to keep the language polite!
dknight212
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Just a note regarding Google Navigation... Google Navigation was replaced with Google Maps a month or so ago. You may not have gotten the update until around the time you installed Waze, so that may be why you think Waze caused it. All navigation for Google is in Google Maps now.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.