Restrictions, restrictions, restrictions: page draft

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Restrictions, restrictions, restrictions: page draft

Postby Riamus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:11 am

Although I don't know much about licensing map images, I think kentsmith9 hit on the main point. If created when you have the license, you don't have to get rid of it as soon as the license expires. If that were true, a game that lost its license (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) would have to shut the game down immediately. That isn't the case. Instead, they can continue to have the game running, but they cannot continue to develop more for the game without the license or create new games related to the license.

Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly start updating the images anyhow. Having current images is better anyhow. And updated full-size images of the WME would now show the street view icon and can include the street view itself when it's useful to display.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Riamus wrote:Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly start updating the images anyhow. Having current images is better anyhow. And updated full-size images of the WME would now show the street view icon and can include the street view itself when it's useful to display.

This is already done, for my part of updating the main WME wiki page and the Editor Interface page.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:30 am

Hey, I've been busier than expected with school starting back up. I haven't had much time to be on the forums, much less do any major map editing or write an entire wiki article. I may have some time to flesh out some language one evening next week, but I can't promise anything right now.

I think we've laid out a pretty good framework for it, though, so if anyone wants to step in that should be fine. I'm certainly willing to spiff it up later.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:13 am

From a different thread we also have input from Ohad-Ron on Scheduled Restrictions.

I think I have some time tonight to merge the two that we can work from going forward. I will do my best in include all the comments from this thread and the other one.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:23 pm

I created a merger of the various pages we have been throwing around on http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... strictions

I have not yet gone through all the notes on changes that we may have recommended, but I built the page from the current editor version so I did my best to match the language on the page with what you see on the various edit panels.

I think this layout might be a little different than some of you have proposed, but I wanted to present the various editing panels with basic descriptions around how to use them, and then followed up with Alan's various examples to help clarify with different visuals.

Since the "Time based restrictions" edit panel is identical for both segments and turns, I did not want to repeat the instructions for that panel in both sections, so I think I have a flow that enables users to get the data needed and prevent the page from getting monstrously long and possibly out of sync with itself.

The next big step is capturing screen shots and adding to the Wiki database. I think based on some of Alan's notes from his page, he may already have some of these images. I have run out of time to edit currently, so I wanted to enable others to view what we have so far. Feel free to improve my typos and grammar to increase understanding with non-native English speakers as well.

If anyone has major heartburn with my layout let's review here and I am happy to side with consensus as required.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm

I have a few images, as I mentioned in my notes on Alan's page:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjbhjcznn97w0f8/uVXCDtKDp7

Not many at all, though. I ran out of time too! :lol:
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:28 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Riamus wrote:Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly start updating the images anyhow. Having current images is better anyhow. And updated full-size images of the WME would now show the street view icon and can include the street view itself when it's useful to display.

This is already done, for my part of updating the main WME wiki page and the Editor Interface page.

I received confirmation while not urgent, we will eventually need to swap out the images. I propose that we focus on new edits and if we need an image, do not use a prior Bing image, but grab or create a new Google image from the WME.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I keep getting questions on the restrictions page, so I moved it into the active Wiki pages in advance of it being live. I do not believe there are any confidential notes or images in the beta that cannot be seen by those without access to that editor. I noted at the top of the page this is part of the beta only right now and also that the page is under construction with a link to this forum thread for feedback and more info.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php?title=Scheduled_restrictions
sketch wrote:I have a few images, as I mentioned in my notes on Alan's page:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjbhjcznn97w0f8/uVXCDtKDp7
Not many at all, though. I ran out of time too! :lol:

I did not get a chance yet to add in sketch's images. There are a number of images we need for the page if anyone is interested in helping on this page. I have red placeholders marking everything we have identified we think is necessary.

Next I will update the Handling Road Closures page to clarify when to use the various methods available.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:33 am

Road closures page has been updated and I added the links to the other pages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Is the Restrictions page and other references ready for the feature to be released?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion