Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Conversations wiki page needed

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I was going to take a stab at starting a Conversations page. But lately, my wiki-foo and powers of making a good sensible table of contents has been low. The page needs to take into account the interface, follow/unfollow/autofollow, where/how users and editors get notifications, and etiquette (jumping on URs with conversations in progress, closing prematurely, time to wait for user response, etc.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I will have the new icons tonight. Just need to finish a wedding video. I've got the original photoshop file I just to get the new convo icon added as a layer and export new gif (for transparency) images for each.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Updated Request pins uploaded. I re-did the original request pins as well because I had the wazer icon behind the pin, which is not how WME displays it.

New icons:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/58/Re ... on-low.gif
http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/aa/Re ... on-med.gif
http://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/de/Re ... n-high.gif
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanks Kent! I've gone ahead and updated all the images on the page as well as fleshed out the Communication section.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
steveningelbrecht wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: I have never had a successful conversation with any report I have used, so I don't know:

1. Do you get an email when you press Follow only after someone adds a comment after you?
2. Do you get an email automatically if you simply add a comment, therefore do not need to press Follow?
3. Do you get an email if you commented or are following a UR when someone closes it?
1. yes
2. yes, when you comment, you 'autofollow' the UR
3. yes
Already written up per my previous post. (I left out details so y'all could read the page and make updates as needed.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
We also need to add the new icons that show an active conversation.

I will track this entry in my talk page for my personal todo list, but it is currently pretty low on the list of all activities both here and in real life, so if anyone wants to take a shot please propose something we can build upon.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Cool. I will start something in the wiki with those.

As for your other comment, the new URs icons you uploaded into the Wiki look the same as the ones you previously uploaded. They are still behind the balloon pin. Did you load the wrong ones?

http://www.waze.com/wiki/?title=File:Re ... n-high.gif
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Just had a thought. The conversations topic is a subset of the URs. It is only a UR than can be converted into a conversation. Therefore I think it should be a subset of that page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I see Alan updated the icons. Thanks :D

I have completed the updates to the Update Requests in Waze Map Editor article to include the new conversation feature. When it goes live we need to come back and remove the comments about it only being in the beta editor.
  • I sprinkled new content throughout where it previously talked about no conversations were possible.
  • I added the new icons.
  • I converted the old "conversation" section to focus on the new interface with descriptions of the buttons and how it works. I have a basic coverage of how it works in response to Alan's comments, but there is probably more than can be added on the etiquette side if someone want to take a stab.
  • I replaced the older Metadata image with a more current one.
  • Two of the graphics are older screen shots, but I don't think they are so far behind to be too confusing, but that is something that eventually should be updated.
I have never had a successful conversation with any report I have used, so I don't know:

1. Do you get an email when you press Follow only after someone adds a comment after you?
2. Do you get an email automatically if you simply add a comment, therefore do not need to press Follow?
3. Do you get an email if you commented or are following a UR when someone closes it?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
steveningelbrecht wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: I have never had a successful conversation with any report I have used, so I don't know:

1. yes
2. yes, when you comment, you 'autofollow' the UR
3. yes
Already written up per my previous post. (I left out details so y'all could read the page and make updates as needed.)
I glanced through it and the changes look good.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message