Thailand Wazer

Post by
มีใครอยู่บ้างครับเข้ามารายงานตัวกันดีกว่าว่าใช้กับระบบอะไร และเครื่องที่ใช้คือรุ่นไหน สำหรับผม มีทั้ง symbian Nokia 5800 ,android Motorolla Mile stone และ Iphone สลับกันใช้ครับ :lol: :D

POSTER_ID:283900

Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
Great, the maps getting better here :-)
when I figure out how to add alternate names in the new Editor interface).
Is not implemented yet. And there were also some issues in cartouche with selecting mutiple roads and alt street. A few weeks ago.
I do have a few suggestions regarding STREET NAMES though... for example, there are many parts of Sukhumvit Rd.
named "Sukhumwit Rd.". Even though SukhumWit reflects more precisely the pronunciation of the name in Thai, that's
not what we have on the plaques and other navigation devices. My main suggestion is, as the MAIN name, let's use the
"common used" names in English (or even in Thai, when I figure out how to add alternate names in the new Editor
interface). Same goes for Petchaburi Rd. (sometimes refered as Petburi), Ratchadaphisek (sometimes writen Ratchada Phisek), and
many others. I am slowly "correcting" the translitteration to what we found on the plaques, so it all makes sense to everyone, and not only the ones who know the area (if you know the area, you don't need the map, right?
I totally agree with this. But sometimes on the plaques it's quite a mess too.
If you come from Chonburi Motorway number 7 direction BKK there is an exit to Kanchanaphisek number 9 and on the plaque there it is written "Sri Nagarindra in the City you found "Srinagarindra" and this happens a few times around Bangkok with different Names.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
สวัสดีครับ echooo และยินดีตอนรับ

It's really quiet over here you're right. But a huge amount of wazers are around in bkk mainly. A few of them communicate over facebook, but mostly not here in the forum. That's kind a sad.

It is planned to implement the Alt name feature to the new editor, but it takes time. Another thing is how this will be displayed on the client.

It's not really easy to find a perfect naming convention for Thailand. So until now we use the english names on the plagues or other sources.

If you need some help in your aereas just let me know.

Regards
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
ยินดีที่ไดรูจักครับ คุณ echoo
echooo wrote: I am looking forward to this feature as well. I hope i18n support on devices includes Thai.
English name can be ambiguous and cumbersome especially when you transliterate (ทับศัพท์).
Sukhumvit Road is a good example that people in this forum mentioned. Fortunately, most people use Sukhumvit.
ภาษาไทยจะไมมีปัญหา ดูที่ปากชอง ในแผนที่ waze

In fact we (me and other editors) are agree to use Sukhumvit, cause it's on the plaques and most foreign people or farangs like me know that the same way. Also i was taking care that all segments that i've found have this name. The same is with chaloem maha nakhon expy. We have found a lot of different translations for this expy.
echooo wrote: I came across many Thai names which I cannot find good references.
Examples of them are
ถนนบางกรวย-ไทรน้อย : In waze, we use "Bang Gruay Sai Noi". But I see "Bang Kruai-Sai Noi" elsewhere including google map.
เทเวศร์: I find many transliterates including Thewet and Thevej.
In my personal understanding i would use Bang Kruai Sai Noi, also i would vote for Thewet :-)
Of course people have problems with translating Thai language to english cause of the different pronounciation, tonerules or silent endings of syllables. So we will allways find differences.
echooo wrote: One good source of reference for ถนนบางกรวย-ไทรน้อย case is ราชบัณฑิตยสถาน (The Royal Institute) who made available a directory of province and amphoe in Thailand. (Currently, it's available for download at http://www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileU ... 3_5812.pdf)
For ถนนบางกรวย-ไทรน้อย case, I think we have to correct it. We can see from page 20 that
อำเภอบางกรวย is Amphoe Bang Kruai
อำเภอไทรน้อย is Amphoe Sai Noi
So ถนนบางกรวย-ไทรน้อย must be "Bang Kruai - Sai Noi Road".

The Royal Institute also forms a set of rules to tranliterate Thai to English which can be helpful if we find many conflicting uses. http://www.royin.go.th/th/profile/index ... uleKey=127
These are good sources thanks for the links. Fortunately most of the transliteration can be found in a few map sources as well. But this is really helpful in case of differences. If you check Bingmaps take care that the citynames are at the right place, cause sometimes they are wrong positioned. Just an example.

Another thing is in most cases i would not label citynames with Mueang or Amphoe (especially not Amphoe) cause they're not well known for international usage, and most people don't know the meaning of Amphoe, Changwat, Tambon or Mueang and other definitions, which can only be found in Thailand, what is your opinion about this?
echooo wrote:
argus-cronos wrote:If you need some help in your aereas just let me know.
In fact I do. :D
I would like to make Bang Kruai - Sai Noi Road a split lane road.
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&l ... TFTFTTTTFT
Why?
There are many long islands (median in Waze's Best map editing practice) in the middle of the road. You need to reach there ends in order to make a U-turn. Currently, it is a two-way road which means we can make U-turn anywhere.
What is your thought about this case?
(Currently, I am not an area manager. I tried to correct it by adding another road and make existing one a one-way but I encountered several saving problems and I have to give up.)

Regards
Ek
So there are enough Gps points along Bang kruai. Allways take care of these in Thailand, cause many aerials in waze aren't there where they should be. So before people start adding a bunch of roundabouts cause of u-turns i would split this road too.

Perhaps you know that waze did some infrastructure changes and it maybe that your saving errors will find an end in the next days, also there is a delay in updating the map. So if you have enough permissions in this area it shouldn't be a problem. I've noticed that you are allready at lvl2 and i would be happy to see you as an areamanager over there.

If you don't have enough permissions i will look into bang kruai later this day. I've noticed misspelling of Nonthaburi too, some are labelled with Nontaburi, so the first is definitely the better choice. Maybe you can have a look into this as well in the future.

Regards
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
If you edit a street (segment) you will see that the segment becomes updated by you, after you hit save in the editor, you can reselect the segment and you will see your name on it and your level of editing rank under "updated by"

Watch this for more infos

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Your_Rank_and_Points

The ปากชอง thing is, in the Client Thai characters are displayed right now. I've seen this the first time - more than 1 year ago. I think. It will only not being displayed in the Map Editor, you can check this on the Waze App. But as i've tried the last time i did not find it as a search result in the navigation menu.

When an aerial image is bad we use the GPS Points Layer, and this is one of the most important and helpful thing when drawing new roads and aligning them to the GPS Points. In areas of Chiang Mai, some parts of Chon buri or Si Racha the aerials are not on a correct position. BKK is much better.

Other places in the South or along Phet Kasem or as well as Mitthraphap there it's also required to check the GPS Points cause aerials are mostly inexistent or really bad.

Of course you know that ศ or any kind of "s" - spoken charcters (by foreigners) in thai will not be pronounciated in thai or more like "t,d" so this is another thing that we have to deal with.

เทเวศร์ sounds like Thewet to me as farang and i think it's comming closer to what a native thai speaker pronunciate, at least this is what we learn in a language school about thai language. Cause ror-ruea is silent, sor-sala at the end becomes t or d. Am i wrong?

Today their server has a runtime error but it is worth to check this out:

http://www.thai2english.com/

It helped me lot of times for some translations and understanding, there may be differences to the Royal Thai Institute but they are really close.
echooo wrote:IMHO, province is the closest match to city. There are 76 provinces in Thailand (excluding Bangkok). But there are over 800 Amphoes here which are too many to remember. I will always use province as a city because waze has only one field for such a thing and 76 is just right, in my opinion. Also, If you use Amphoe, you may not realize where it is because there are Amphoe Muang in all provinces (except Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya).
Yep, you can check this in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen for example. Some editors have started to add Province names over the half of the country, this was not really helpful, so i've corrected a lot to display the amphoes as well in separate polygones. Cause if you do so, you will never find the right place in navigation mode.

For many scenarios you can use external search providers such as bing, foursquare or google... and the map is looking much clearer if we not spread province names all over the country.

Another thing is most foreign people except you will never know anyway that Baan "Om Ko" is in Amphoe Ban Dung which belongs to the Province of Udon Thani, but if you try to navigate to Om Ko you will definitely find the right way now. Or Udon Thani you will reach by a waze search and you gonna be navigated directly to the city, and not 50 kilometers outside of it. I would being happy with more fields in the editor but for now we can only use a minimum.

If you need more infos feel free to ask here or per pm.
Regards
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
Hello leoviotti good to see somebody is taking care here :-)

The community isn't that small, but most wazers posting on the FB group instead of the forum.

I've noticed your great effort in the area of BKK. Many times there are no sources for naming roads. So to add roads even without a roadname makes sense cause there is no basemap here and another one may know the name and can edit the road again. But don't forget the end-nodes. I've added thousends to your network ;-)

I agree to your opinion about the service roads, there are so much here. I've added a lot of freeways to the map and somedays i have to go back and add the service roads as well, cause my first thought was to establish a long range routing first.

There is no problem to lock Sukhumvit, cause automatic changes frome the system still happens. Changes to oneway or other horrible things for instance. This road is a problem cause of the Skytrain and the GPS, but we have to live with that.

Ramkamhaeng elevated road woud be better a normal street type than a ramp, i used to set a few elevated roads in bkk to "street", but some other users set them to ramps or primarys. But i won't lock them to my level cause then they are not accessible anymore to others or you. Especially primary streets clutters the map. So it's better to use a slim roadtype for the client.
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&l ... TTTFTTTTFT

Its also better if you lock sensible spots to your AM level, as CM i can override any locks in Thailand and i'm willing to help if there are problems.
So anybody feel free to contact me for unlocks or anything else even in Thai.

What about a meeting in Bangkok, i'm in the Area until the middle of january? So we could discuss a few things.

Regards
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
Yeah the FB group is busy, unfortunately more than the Forum. I've posted a few pics about the routing on the freeways. So it's possible now to set a route from Laos to Malaysia through whole Thailand. Also from BKK to Phuket, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Ayutthaya, Udon Thani, Maha Sarakham, Krabi, Hat Yai and a few other destinations. The last thing was connect Chiang Mai, but i haven't finished it before my holidays.

The Wiki page Junction Style Guide is a great help and probably the best way to work with intersections. There are a few sites in the wiki where end-nodes are mentioned. They are important for routing. If they are not been added the routing starts from the next connected road.

It takes time. When i started editing in bangkok more than two years ago it was a mess of unconnected roads and a few poor freeways. But navigation is much better now in the city. As i came to Thailand last year, i was able to find a perfect route from Suvarnabhumi to Sukhumvit 20/1. And we don't stop :-)

The locking has a few good side effects. People start to contact us, i've had a few mails in the past from editors in BKK. The other thing - as long as this d... automatic changes thing is existing in waze - you can protect roads that are close to each other from changing the direction. I've found a few roads messed up by the system a few weeks ago, and i know definitely that i have set the proper direction.
It is not necessary to lock anything of course especially unnamed stuff, but at least complicated intersections.

Soi names are a little bit tricky here. Eyerybody knows Tong Lor Rd. But on the plaques Sukhumvit 55 is the first thing we see. Sometimes im not quiet sure what to use or should been corrected. Mostly i use the numnered main part of the plaque cause also all visitors use these names to describe anything.
The other "nickname" would find a good place in the alt names field.

Another question is: What you know about real Speed-Cams in BKK? Two months ago i have found more than 2500 reported speedcams in the editor, which were never been approved, some were approved in Areas where definitely no speedcams are installed. I've heard about Stories from my friend which lives for more than 10 years here, that people really get bills. But i've never seen one during my rides. I've read in the newspapapers that they are about to install some, but not 2500 i guess :-)
So this brings me to two opinions, most people don't know the difference between traffic cams and speedcams or they are really good hided :-)

Well just let me know when you find a few hours. It would be great to have a laptop or anything else, so i can show you a few tricks. If you know some other editors who are willing to join us, just activate them :-)

Just call me :-) -> "๐๘๓-๑๓๙-๘๗๐๘"

So today is my birthday and we gonna rock that crap out of bkk tonight :-)

See ya
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by argus-cronos
leoviotti wrote: An absolute must-read, I didn't know it existed, the wiki sometimes don't point un anywhere... google located it easier.
Right there is a hell of information in the wiki :-)
leoviotti wrote: I remember that, back in the end of 2010... I was trying to drive around Pridibanomyong, but most roads were non-existent or totally wrong. I started fixing there (I was living there back then). Unfortunately I stopped for a long time, the old editor was @$#ˆ$% slow to use (and even the new one, totally HORRIBLE to use from Thailand, until they turned the old one off a couple of months ago - now it's ok). I barely use the routing function though, but it would be nice to have that working... I have Sygic, the paid one, but sometimes it misses the roads by A LOT, or makes me go out from the tollway just to go back minutes later... anyway, long way to go, but much better now than it was before.
The new editor is much more comfortable in deed.
leoviotti wrote: Right, first time I spoke to you was probably because something locked that I wanted to edit. :P
Then, job done :-)
leoviotti wrote: My only "problem" with the alternate names, is that they don't really show while driving, only maybe in a search. I like the system here, of odd-even numbered sois, makes it much easier to drive in the maze when you get how things work, but it's always good to have the soi name in display, when you ask for directions.
For ex, some people only know "Soi Anamai", if you ask for On Nut 39 while on Srinagarindra, or Srinagarindra 24 while in OnNut, they will look lost. Say "Soi Anamai" and they know instantly where is it.
I think naming with brackets should do the job for now, as long the name isn't too long. Better then adding small Segments and useless junctions. So anybody can see the names which they understand. And there are less errors cause of missing turnrestrictions.
leoviotti wrote: Speaking frankly, they do exist, I've seen it a few times in Mittraphap Rd, in the mountain area in Nakhon Ratchasima, in the middle of the road and *always ALWAYS* with a person beside it. Other than that, I only know the surveillance cameras. And considering how I drive, when traffic allows, I would know if there were speed cams everywhere... :mrgreen:
That's what i have seen also, mostly Highway Patrol or some P-guys on the tollroads standing beside. Cause im not that familiar with speedlimits and i don't want to be :mrgreen: I've never received a bill, just paid HP on the highways and mostly in the area of rayong :oops:
leoviotti wrote: Will do, I'll be around in xmas week anyway... but I'm easier to find by Skype or Google Talk (same name as here, everywhere).
Ok i will look for google talk, anyway i posted my number.
leoviotti wrote: OH, I just saw this message... happy late birthday anyway! :D
Thanks was fun in deed.
Have a nice day
Argus
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by benzin
หวัดดีครับ

โห...เล่นซะครบเลย ผมเล่นแค่ iPhone 3GS เครื่องเดียวเอง :shock:
:P :P ยินดีที่ได้รู้จักครับ :P :P
benzin
Send a message

Post by benzin
ขอความกรุณา "อย่าเปิดระบบสร้างถนนไว้ตลอดการเดินทาง" :geek:

ควรเปิดเฉพาะเวลาที่ไม่มีถนนอยู่แล้วในแผนที่ (โดยเฉพาะเส้นหลักๆจะมีถนนอยู่แล้ว)
ผมจะปรับแผนที่ใน map editor อยู่บ่อยๆ ถ้าปรับเป็นแล้วจะรู้ว่าจะเสียเวลามากในการแก้ไข
ถนนที่ไม่จำเป็นหรือไม่มีอยู่จริง (ที่มักจะถูกสร้างขึ้นมาเองบ่อยๆโดยใช้โทรศัพท์ ซึ่งจะจับจุด GPS
ได้ไม่แม่นยำเท่าที่ควร) โดยแม้ถนนที่มีอยู่แล้วก็จะถูกสร้างขึ้นมาซ้ำ คดเคียวไปมา :shock:

เป้าหมายในการใช้ waze คือ การนำทางและบอกทางที่รถไม่ติด ถ้าถนนยังไม่เสร็จดี ระบบนี้คงจะใช้ไม่ได้
ยังไงก็ขอความร่วมมือด้วยครับ ;)

Enjoy Waze
benzin
Send a message