Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Replacing the Base-Map in India (now live!)

Post by
Hi Wazers,

We wanted to bring you up to speed in regards to some changes and updates in the Waze map of India. Due to unique commercial challenges we have just encountered, Waze base-map in India is being replaced with a new and improved map. The new map, which will be deployed over the next few days (see details below) is of much greater quality and coverage: it contains 9.7 million segments vs. 4 million of the current map and a total of 9.25 million streets vs. 3.82 million we have today.

Changing a base-map of a country is an extreme step for Waze that is seldomly practiced. We believe that in the India case, due to the greater quality and coverage as well as the unique commercial challenges we face, this change should be done quickly and that all users and editors in the country will benefit from it. The new map will allow us to gain more popularity and reach more Wazers in many more cities all across India.

Rest assured that all the editors' achievements and data will be saved and remain the same. That includes points for your past edits, editing rank, managed areas number of edits etc. Achievements of all Waze drivers, such as KMs driven, reports, update requests and achievements will also be saved. Waze credentials (user name and password) will remain the same.

There are a few implications you should be aware of:

1. Starting today, Sep. 11th and until Sunday Sep. 15th, the WME in India will be locked and not available due to infrastructural upgrades.
2. On Sunday Sep. 15th, the new base-map in India should be ready and available to all users.
3. Due to this transition, the entire existing map will be removed (all segments, nodes, landmarks, roundabouts etc.) along with all the changes that were done by the community editors up to this date.
4. The Waze app will be available through the transition period, and you should not have any problems using Waze on your smartphone.
5. Waze teams are ready to provide support and address any issues that might rise due to the transition.

We take much pride in the local community of Wazers in India, and believe that with the help of the local editors and users and with the new base-map, we can make this transition as fast and smooth as possible. We don't expect any major issues or delays with the transition.

We would love to get your feedback about the new and improved map through this forum. Waze.com/support is your address for all technical questions, as always.

Thank you,

Ori

POSTER_ID:94248

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This is a really big deal. Yowza. You all got enough coverage to fix all the major routes pretty quickly?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
madhuvsan wrote:The other thoughts : Can Waze edits done by users be merged back to Google and then Waze completely take all the Google base map. This way both Google and Waze gets benefitted. But I am not sure how practical it would be. And this is how it should work in the interest of all Waze community..
This was answered several times in the Google joins Waze thread: No. Google maps and Waze are separate products and there is no plan to merge them. Three years from now is a different story.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by cherianchris
Chennai looked like this when I started work on it.
WME Chennai.JPG
(217.23 KiB) Downloaded 1851 times
Looks like we will be forced to start from scratch in all the Indian Cities. :(
At least the Road categorisation is in place. But will it stay ? :?
Chris
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by cherianchris
The base map import has been delayed as of today.. Will post more details when I get them please.

Chris->MB526->Tapatalk 4
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”

Post by cherianchris
Unholy wrote:Hi folks,

We anticipate that the replacement of the map will be delayed once again.
Our current estimation is that the replacement will take place in the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Ori
Thank you Ori..

Chris->MB526->Tapatalk 4
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
Basemap import is complete.. :)

Chris->MB526->Tapatalk 4
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cherianchris
lunarplexus wrote:
Thanks Ori. One of my biggest wishes of road alignment seem to have been granted. Woohoo!

However, I do have a few questions.

The city names, at least for new Delhi, is written in hindi script. I presume changing them to English or keeping them like this would be a call taken by Indian wazers, or is there a standard we need to follow?
Indian Wazers will take a call on this Abhijit..
lunarplexus wrote: I've noticed a lot of names of neighbourhoods appearing at the 200 mtr resolution. But I can't see the names when I zoom in or in the segment details. How can they be edited?
You need to use the Highlighter script please..

Chris->MB526->Tapatalk 4
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by coolncute
Still going on? Any updates?
coolncute
Send a message

Post by coolncute
Seems things are getting messed up. I will be going to OSM for my mapping contribution, but will still use waze to help other wazers(if any in Bangalore, I dont see much of them though)! It was good time here, driving 300+km just within a month. Have good times ahead folks...
coolncute
Send a message

Post by coolncute
Now, in my area double roads are shown ! Anyway, I have stopped editing, just FYI. Check here:

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&l ... TFTTTTTTFT
coolncute
Send a message