Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby sketch » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:13 pm

kwhistle wrote:Waze been horrible since the last update. Gas prices included. I'm in Indianapolis, IN, USA. Was just led to a gas station a few miles away only to realize the price was 52 days old!!!

Did Waze not show you that it was 52 days old when you did the gas search?
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ks3j » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:12 pm

krankyd wrote:Hi guys,
In the US:
* Waze has a full set of Gas Stations, and at the moment we're not able to update stations on this list.
* Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.

I see that this is a year old, and I'm hoping it's something that's been fixed by now. Saying that "Waze has a full set of gas stations" naively assumes that new gas stations aren't being built every day, which they are, and that old ones aren't closing down, which they are. My area has a few examples of both.

Is the ability to update the gas stations under development? It would make sense, since just about everything else in Waze is crowdsourced.

In addition, I have found quite a few gas stations in my area that are displaced as much as half a mile from their actual locations. Does moving the gas station landmark result in correct navigation, or is the incorrect position "sticky?"
Image Image
ks3j

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 pm

KS3J wrote:Is the ability to update the gas stations under development? It would make sense, since just about everything else in Waze is crowdsourced.

In addition, I have found quite a few gas stations in my area that are displaced as much as half a mile from their actual locations. Does moving the gas station landmark result in correct navigation, or is the incorrect position "sticky?"

All gas station info in the app is live connected to the editor. In tests, in fact, you can add a new station and immediately find it in the app. Seriously, it's immediate.

As for the search location, we've made Waze aware that the search location hasn't matched the actual landmark, and they are surpised. I haven't tested this recently, though. They are supposed to match completely, but there may be a bug in the system.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ks3j » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks, Alan. Good news.
Image Image
ks3j

Postby sasefinf » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask help for my problem:
at first, it happened only sometimes, now each time I try to uptdate gas prices, it shows me the message " oh-oh you dont' t have gps signal" which is absolutely non true, also beacuse everything else in the app form navigating to accidents signaling works nicely. can ypu help me ? I checked my gps and it 's fine.
sasefinf

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
KS3J wrote:Is the ability to update the gas stations under development? It would make sense, since just about everything else in Waze is crowdsourced.

All gas station info in the app is live connected to the editor. In tests, in fact, you can add a new station and immediately find it in the app. Seriously, it's immediate.

As for the search location, we've made Waze aware that the search location hasn't matched the actual landmark, and they are surpised. I haven't tested this recently, though. They are supposed to match completely, but there may be a bug in the system.

I noticed this the other day when I went to add a new station. It's across the street from an Exxon that was on the wrong spot on the map and never updated when I moved the landmark six months ago.

So when I saw how quickly the new station showed up, I deleted the old Exxon landmark and created a new one with the same details. Viola! Exxon is in the right location now... And still in the wrong location, too, lol. Maybe one day the landmarks will actually get synced properly and this mess will be solved.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

Moto Droid Turbo (Android 5.1) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jondrush » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Waze asked us not to delete the stations they created. They are aware of the problem with moved gas stations not updating.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 pm

jondrush wrote:Waze asked us not to delete the stations they created. They are aware of the problem with moved gas stations not updating.

I'm aware of that, I just got tired of waiting on this one issue to be fixed.

Today both of my new stations are gone but the old phantom location remains. I give up. If they actually gave a damn about this feature it would have been fixed by now.

Worse than that is the reporting feature which locks you out after five submissions, meaning there are a significant number of stations I can't update because of their stupid system. I'd rather the prices be accepted but get zero points than have prices that are wrong remain and the end user get a lie of a message, "network connection error".

Edit to add: I checked in the editor and the landmarks I created are still there, but the address and phone number data was blitzed. They are locked landmarks so it had to be the system itself that botched this. Very annoying.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CrackedLCD » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 am

So, my story just got goofier. The new gas station, for which I created a landmark since none previously existed? Yeah, Waze went ahead and created one too, in the wrong location again. Sigh. So now I have four stations showing up, but only the two I created are actually anywhere close to being correct.

To add insult to injury, they got the station name wrong. It's "Gulf-N-Golf" but Waze's version is "Gulf-N-Gulf". Dunno who does their database, but they are sloppy.

I went to at least correct their version and maybe move it to where it should be, but I can't find it, leading me to believe another user deleted the incorrect, misspelled entry already.

Oh well, until Waze gets their act together, I guess it's an extra free 16 point to anyone who discovers the "easter eggs". :geek:
~CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby deeggo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 am

That golf gulf thing may be a translation issue. We have had cases in Netherlands where a gas station named Total was displayed as Totaal. Totaal being the Dutch translation of the English word Total.
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App