[Script] WME Tools (WMET) v0.3.4 / 2013-12-27

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Mass Edit Tool (WMET)

Postby argus-cronos » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:55 pm

I've played little bit around with the script this afternoon with not saving anything at all, and i must admit that it has enormous potential and on the other hand enormous potential to harm the map. I was a little bit shocked to see what is possible with this and what would be if an editor is messing up the code and hit save after only one function i.e. abbreviations, unbeliebable what all can be screwed up in a short time. So it is definitely better to never share it to the mass. The fact that it is not fully userfriendly makes it more dangerous.
I hope it will be used wisely from those who have the code until now.
argus-cronos

Postby mrgrumpy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:01 pm

argus-cronos wrote:So it is definitely better to never share it to the mass. The fact that it is not fully userfriendly makes it more dangerous.

Hear hear! :!: :!: :!: :!:
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby orbitc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:06 pm

argus-cronos wrote:I've played little bit around with the script this afternoon with not saving anything at all, and i must admit that it has enormous potential and on the other hand enormous potential to harm the map. I was a little bit shocked to see what is possible with this and what would be if an editor is messing up the code and hit save after only one function i.e. abbreviations, unbeliebable what all can be screwed up in a short time. So it is definitely better to never share it to the mass. The fact that it is not fully userfriendly makes it more dangerous.

Very dangerous indeed. It should not be distributed at all until some safe guards in place. Also it needs to be user friendly at the very least to prevent accidental saves that would cause more damage than good.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:10 pm

It needs to not exist at all. The scope for accidental destruction is too great.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby mrgrumpy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 pm

dmcconachie wrote:It needs to not exist at all. The scope for accidental destruction is too great.

+1
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 pm

The usefulness is potentially there, but like ethics of some types of genetic engineering like cloning, for example, I think the potential for mass problems from a tool like this is simply so great, that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done, even if used by only a limited group of people. The map simply doesn't need to be mass updated in this manner. Just do the work and don't worry about doing it faster or easier.

I applaud the effort and technical skill required to pull off something like this, but I would rather see it not implemented. Unfortunately, this well-thought-restricted-distribution by the OP, which is very much appreciated, thank you!, the next coder interested in amassing points and nothing else, will not be no ethical about it.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The usefulness is potentially there, but like ethics of some types of genetic engineering like cloning, for example, I think the potential for mass problems from a tool like this is simply so great, that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done, even if used by only a limited group of people. The map simply doesn't need to be mass updated in this manner. Just do the work and don't worry about doing it faster or easier.

I applaud the effort and technical skill required to pull off something like this, but I would rather see it not implemented. Unfortunately, this well-thought-restricted-distribution by the OP, which is very much appreciated, thank you!, the next coder interested in amassing points and nothing else, will not be no ethical about it.

+1
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby mrgrumpy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 pm

+2
mrgrumpy
Experts
Experts

Postby petervdveen » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:28 pm

I think it has a lot of potention.
We've done a lot of requests for database changes.

Nxxx roads should be minor for example.
Of Major roads locked at lv4, freeway at lv5.

It never happened.
Now we could do it ourselves ;-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby dmcconachie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 pm

petervdveen wrote:I think it has a lot of potention.
We've done a lot of requests for database changes.

Nxxx roads should be minor for example.
Of Major roads locked at lv4, freeway at lv5.

It never happened.
Now we could do it ourselves ;-)
This isn't in question but something like this will not stay in good hands. The potential for devastation is more important than the potential for good that it has.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts