Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Events without closures

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Since this traffic event thing has the feature of being able to warn drivers in the area, is it acceptable to use it for events which may have traffic impacts, but do not have closures, and are large enough in scale that you can't put any closures which make sense into Waze anyway?

I'm thinking (too late for this year) specifically of large running/walking events (biking events would quality too) like the Hood to Coast Relay. It is 198 miles long, 12,600 runners and 3,600 volunteers, using about 3,000 support vehicles. It runs primarily along US-26 from Mt. Hood into Portland, and then on US-30 from Portland to the coast, and a little bit of US-101 on the coast.

Oregon DOT puts out a warning to drivers each year. But again, there's no closures. Just awareness that there are some lane closures and possibly some other traffic impacts in congested areas.

Is this kind of thing valid for a Mega Event just from a "warning" standpoint?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
foxitrot wrote:Alan, a solution would be, instead of temporarily closing the listed segments, to temporarily lower their speeds. Including the warnings. I suspect this yet waits to be implemented.
That may be a good idea. In the interim, I guess I'll ask Amit directly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
If you look at the form responses there is a color code from Waze for "Alerts Only" (scroll to the bottom of the responses)
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
CBenson wrote:
AndyPoms wrote:If you look at the form responses
Who can do this?
Incoming PM...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
MdSyah wrote: Orit,

I had send a request for road closure to Event Center requesting for road clossing for our Malaysia Mega Event that is our Malaysia Day Parade on 12 September2013. Since this is our National and Historic event of the country, a vey massive jammed will happened. And most all the route to the event centre will be closed for public from 0500 till 1300 hrs(+8hrs GMT) on 16September2013. ( to be exact the event is going to happen in 9 hrs time and road closure will begin in 7 hrs time. So far I dont get any respond to my request.
I can see it in the responses, BUT it hasn't been coded. The problem may have been you submitted the request too late for Waze to do anything about it. These closures have to be inputted into the system manaually - the earlier you submit them, the more time Waze has to implement them. Remember, Waze HQ is in Israel and is closed on Friday & Saturday for their weekend.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by CBenson
AndyPoms wrote:If you look at the form responses
Who can do this?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
The problem there is no set deadline. If depending on how big the event is waze will put more effort into getting it set up. So some events get picked up and other do not. We do need to work out better communications so we know what's going on when we submit an event.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dknight212
I'd second this use. We have a very large number of events in London (UK) that affect routing but are either too short to make edits and/or too complex. For example, the Notting Hill Carnival this long weekend. Transport for London issues regular advice that could be incorporated (subject to copyright/legal issues).
dknight212
Send a message

Post by Elli21486
This is actually something for March through April 2014 but it seems there will be a One Fund Relay that will go through 14 states, starting in Santa Monica, CA and ending in Boston, MA. Don't know whether this will affect traffic or not or what the route is but it is reported that it will follow the Boston Marathon route (which includes busy roads [Route 9, Boylston St, Storrow Drive]). I will try to see if I can get more details but for now, here is the news report:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metro/ru ... index.html

~Edit~
So I found the official website that shows the proposed route going through California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. The route is actually divided up into segments (stages) of about 10 miles and the website states what time each segment will start.

http://www.onerunforboston.org/
Elli21486
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Alan, a solution would be, instead of temporarily closing the listed segments, to temporarily lower their speeds. Including the warnings. I suspect this yet waits to be implemented.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).