Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by mapcat
ncc1701v wrote:Driveways that are a bit long and are parallel to a public road, since Waze might think a vehicle in the driveway is on the road.
Maybe. How often would that scenario arise? There are many driveways like that, but the likelihood of anyone sitting on one of them often enough to corrupt speed data seems very small.
Riamus wrote: The house location is very close to another road without access to that road so that correct directions can be provided. This may go away once we are using entirely internal address mapping using the stop points.
Not always, since this argument could be used to defend really short driveways in dense developments.
The driveway is named with an official street sign (not a custom sign).
IMO it would cease to be a driveway if it had an official name.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTTTTTTTT

Some of the houses at the edge of the development are closer to the surrounding roads than they are to the roads in front of them. Based on where the data points for each house are in Google or Bing are, Waze might attempt to route you to the wrong road. Adding driveways for each of the houses in that situation would solve that problem, but would look horrible and would lead to far more problems than it solved.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
I don't think we can honestly say that driveways longer than X should always be mapped. Here are some images for reference (for context, click to the right of each image for a permalink):

20.jpg
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 2126 times
[/url]This driveway is approximately 20 m, and is of typical length in suburban areas of the USA.

200.jpg
(15.68 KiB) Downloaded 2109 times
[/url]These driveways are 200-300m long, but the houses are still within view of the road.

100.jpg
(18.52 KiB) Downloaded 2115 times
[/url]OTOH, this house is less than 150m from the highway, but it's obscured by two rows of trees and a railway. Does its curving driveway belong on the map?
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Riamus wrote:I think you misread 2a3. It does say to map any driveway that is named. :)
Perhaps Kent was saying that if a driveway has a street name, it is a street, not a driveway.

I agree with Kent's thoughts and recommendations.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Riamus wrote:Ok. Though I'd still say that it would be a private road, which would be the same mapping as a driveway since we don't have a driveway road type. If someone pays to get their driveway named, it doesn't make it a public street.
IMO if it has a name, it is not a driveway, so if it is private, call it a private road, and if it is public, call it a street. Just not a driveway. ;)
mapcat
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
Driveways that are a bit long and are parallel to a public road, since Waze might think a vehicle in the driveway is on the road.

Driveways that are not roads (not named) but serve multiple residences.
ncc1701v
Send a message
Last edited by ncc1701v on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by ncc1701v
mapcat wrote:
Riamus wrote: The house location is very close to another road without access to that road so that correct directions can be provided. This may go away once we are using entirely internal address mapping using the stop points.
Not always, since this argument could be used to defend really short driveways in dense developments
OK but in any case, put the driveway in if navigation would otherwise be likely to end up on the wrong street. And house numbers won't be accurate everywhere for years.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.

Post by petervdveen
Some europe feedback.
mapcat wrote: - Driveways should always be private roads.
Or parking lot. Depends what the main function is, I think.
Example
- Don't map private driveways serving single residences or businesses, unless they are especially long (how long?).
I think 40 or 50 meters should be ok.
Map
Don't map
- Don't map drive-thrus at fast food, banks, etc.
Bank drive-thrus?
We do map the MC Donald's drive thru.
https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&l ... 3366[quote]
- Don't map driveways just to make map problems go away.[/quote]
Why not? ;-)
- Map driveways when they serve multiple residences. Name them according to the street they lead from, and add house numbers for each residence.
Correct.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by petervdveen
Does the connected (white) road have another name?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC Sensation Z710e met Tapatalk 4
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
So, if I'm correct this street is nameless.

Can you point me to the post that shows what is the reason for that?
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message