Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

School Zone marking

Post by
Is their a marking for schools zones on waze? If there is, can somone help me find it.

Thanks
TxCoastie

POSTER_ID:16789136

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
slandrum wrote:Similar to construction zones and other things that temporarily hamper traffic, so that you get an alert that Waze's routing may not be optimal, especially if the restricted time has just started (or is about to start).
I'd like a notification of a school zone because I often forget when they are active and often go too fast. Yes, I should pay more attention... :)

But regardless of this, it is almost never faster to go around a school zone than to go through it, so the effect on routing would be zero.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Traveling_Gav wrote:I envisage it would work by dropping a speed-camera equivalent icon at the start of the zone on each street and then specify the times. That's it!
If it's all about the speed, then it isn't so simple. To actually be accurate and useful, you've then got to be able to program the actual times the reduced speed is in effect. In some places, that's 2-4 distinct times during the day. In fact, most school zones in my areas are NOT blanket all during the day. And even those that are better not warn at 1am. Otherwise, there's no point.

IMO, this is not just a "simple alert."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jemay wrote:How do you program for "When Children are Present"? That is not a time we can program for....
Nope. That would have to alert 24x7
Traveling_Gav wrote:WME already has functionality and dialog boxes for specifying times for turn restrictions so I had envisaged that exact same thing would be applied to the school zone...
You understand it just fine. Maybe what you're not getting is that the functionality for a new type of "object" in the system, from back-end infrastructure, to real-time servers, to the app, doesn't yet exist. Certainly, the technical functionality is similar, but it isn't the same. And to set up something new like this would take a good deal of time and effort.

Personally, I like the idea. (I've posted being in favor of school zones for a while now.) As a long-time user of Waze, however I don't believe it is something which will be, nor should be, developed in the near future. There's other things we're waiting for.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
This has been brought up before - please search before posting.

Waze will see the regular slowing of vehicles in that area and route around the area - HOWEVER, remember, even with the slow-down, sometimes it's still faster to go thorough the slow area than to go around it.

For those of you outside the US (and apparently Canada), a School-Zone is an area around a school where during certain times of the day the speed limit is lowered. This is typically done during arrival and dismissal times, but can sometimes cover the entire school day. These signs are typically marked with flashing lights and a sign that says "When Flashing" or simply "When Students Are Present".
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bigdragon26
So do I.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
bigdragon26
Send a message
[img]https:///kw8w7[/img][img]https:///mgUUB[/img]https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/4/42/Ca.png
I can help you in English, Je peux vous aider en Francais, Los puedo ayudar en Español

Post by CBenson
All this being said, it makes sense, at least in Maryland, to have the time restrictions on speed cameras. In Maryland speed cameras are only authorized in certain places. School zones are one of the authorized places that cameras are allowed. In fact, the majority of fixed speed cameras in Maryland are erected under the authorization for cameras in school zones. However, by law in Maryland "A speed monitoring system in a school zone may operate only Monday through Friday between 6:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m." (No, there is no prohibition against operating the camera throughout the school's summer vacation.) So warnings for speed cameras in Maryland are typically a warning for a school zone and it would make sense to have a mechanism so that waze would only give a warning for them on M-F from 6 AM to 8 PM.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CTGreybeard
jimmy_changa wrote:I think that would be an excellent idea, though. Maybe it could be a checkbox on the relevant segments just like how a toll road is marked, along with a "School Zone ahead" announcement.
I think it would be a good enhancement too. With a warning when approaching an active school zone. I am aware that some states (Texas comes to mind) are very strict, at least where I have travelled around Dallas, with their School Zone enforcement.

It should be handled with a similar function to the Time Based Restrictions that is in the current Beta test stage. This would allow the editor to indicate at what times and across what dates the School Zone would be active. Thinking about that, though, I'm thinking that it might get pretty complex. But for high traffic areas I think it could have a positive application.
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
And again comes under the, "Not necessary in Waze, look out the window" category.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Waze will naturally account for them though.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
So it just needs more wazers then. We can't go marking flare points manually to make up for that though, where does that end?
dmcconachie
Send a message