Duplicate Cities Page

Post by jondrush
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:13337

Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
I kinda of disagree about the CDP designation but your mileage may vary up there. Also I don't want to turn this into a CDP vs non-CDP debate. I just know from experience that the CDP's aren't really adding anything to our state that I am aware of.

Not entirely sure how everyone else is handling CDP's, so if you are asking for something to apply globally. I would ask that the CDP be appended with "CDP /
whatever you want to use to append it with" before the actual city/town would be.

So if Waze was to insist in using CDP's for NC I would do it this way for the state.
We have a Fairview NC and A Fairview CDP in different parts of the state.

I would want the CDP to say Fairview / Buncombe (County Name), NC and the town to say Fairview, NC. But first and foremost I am all for getting rid of the Fairview CDP in Buncombe County.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by jondrush
The comma between city and county was based on a long ago conversation with Waze when adding counties was promised to us. Their recommendation was to separate city and county with a comma, and they would unwind it in the background database when counties were implemented.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
HavanaDay wrote:I kinda of disagree about the CDP designation but your mileage may vary up there. Also I don't want to turn this into a CDP vs non-CDP debate. I just know from experience that the CDP's aren't really adding anything to our state that I am aware of.

Not entirely sure how everyone else is handling CDP's, so if you are asking for something to apply globally. I would ask that the CDP be appended with "CDP /
whatever you want to use to append it with" before the actual city/town would be.

So if Waze was to insist in using CDP's for NC I would do it this way for the state.
We have a Fairview NC and A Fairview CDP in different parts of the state.

I would want the CDP to say Fairview / Buncombe (County Name), NC and the town to say Fairview, NC. But first and foremost I am all for getting rid of the Fairview CDP in Buncombe County.
I can guarantee that 99% of the population does not know what CDP means or stand for. But most will understand Township, Borough, Parish, Village, etc. I would never put CDP on the map.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
sketch wrote:^ Still, I don't think it's a good idea to use "City of Hampton" and just "Hampton" for the CDP, if people just call the city "Hampton". Instead, use "Hampton" for the city and "Hampton, County" for the CDP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Because the state does not recognize Hampton CDP as anything, thus it is not part of a county hierarchy. And CDPs cross county lines. It fails the accuracy test. The same arguments go for Postal regions used as city names. I should add that.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Hampton City? :D

As I said at the top, each state needs to come up with their own scheme. If Hampton is more important than the CDP, you'll figure something out.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
I wouldn't append anything with "CDP". If there's a city and a CDP, append the CDP with the county name like anything else. Most people don't know or care that Harahan is a city and Elmwood is a CDP, they just know when they need to get to somewhere within them.

I'm also curious as to how the search results would turn out for the smaller of a pair of cities. Say the state of Powhatan has a couple towns called Newport, one in Jefferson County population 6,000 and one in Washington County population 2,000. The first is bigger, but by no means a major city. If we name the first "Newport" and the second "Newport, Washington", will a search for "200 main st, newport po" return just the 200 Main St in the first Newport? Or would it work better if the names were better balanced, "Newport, Jefferson" and "Newport, Washington"?

I also think it would look better and less confusing if it were formatted "City (County)" instead of with a comma.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
^ Still, I don't think it's a good idea to use "City of Hampton" and just "Hampton" for the CDP, if people just call the city "Hampton". Instead, use "Hampton" for the city and "Hampton, County" for the CDP?

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
I still really don't like "City of x". There's got to be a better way.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message