You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Truck Routes

Post by TracerDX
Hi, been a user for a little while. I am a local area trucker so I drive a lot of miles hence my rather high score in such a short time. I use Waze to give me a heads up on the traffic in the area and to warn others when when I encounter it myself. I do battle on California SR-91 mostly.

Anyways, my question is: Are there any plans to add a "truck route" designation to roads. That is to say, there are some roads that vehicles "6 tons or over" are not allowed on and thus, any routing through said roads is useless to me. Now I understand the this doesn't really apply to 95% of users, but maybe it could be worth something down the road, pun intended, in making Waze a more valuable product. I have other ideas along the lines of helping truckers, but I just want to keep this post simple. Basically, its nice when I'm stuck on a highway and Waze suggests a surface street detour to get around it, but I can't really take it because I don't know if some of those streets are illegal for me to drive on.

So: On the App side, the ability to designate oneself as a heavy truck. On the editor side, the ability to mark a road a truck route, or not. In between, routing that avoids roads trucks aren't allowed on.

Thanks,
Keep up the good work.
TracerDX

POSTER_ID:16457694

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Currently Waze does not support vehicle types. However, if you look at this thread http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33709 Waze is working on something similar.

Getting height/weight restrictions may be a bit much to ask for, but a simple "Truck Mode" is something that is in the works.

We are currently beta testing the mapping side of this issue to allow for time-based & vehicle-type restrictions on both segments & turns.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
Like I said, the first step in implementing a simple "No Trucks" tag is being beta tested now (we need the info on the map before we can let you use that info). Once we're good there, the client will have the ability for you to specify your vehicle type (like many other GPS units do).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by TracerDX
Height restrictions was something I was hinting at, but not really something I expect to see soon. Upon further thought, I was thinking something more along the lines of a "avoid non-truck roads" option in the same vein as the existing "avoid toll rolls" and "avoid major highways" options. Those would basically do the trick and avoid any kind of dedicated truck mode.

Like I said though. Truckers, myself included, would pay good money to have the accuracy Waze provides combined with various trucking related features and real time traffic updates. Especially us short haulers.
TracerDX
Send a message