These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by kjstech
I don't like the sleep button either, and if it's Apples requirements I do blame Apple... however consider this:

Your done driving so you go into the menu, put Waze to sleep, then shut off the phone. Go into your destination. Later you take out your phone to look up something (email, txt, website, other app, etc..) and as soon as you unlock the screen it goes into Waze.

Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior? If I put waze to sleep then lock phone, when I wake phone up it should return to spring board. Is this an IOS 7.0.2 thing or a Waze thing? Also without force quitting the app, sometimes Waze takes over the audio once you return to it after launching an audio playing app.

I realize some of this is "king" Apples requirements, but there seems to be some bugs to it.
kjstech
Send a message
PA, USA - iPhone XS Max - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer

Post by kjstech
Thanks for the reply. I can retrain myself to push the home button quickly before sleeping the phone that's not a problem. The problem arises when waking up Waze it Hijack's the audio of the application currently running. This is why I'd rather see a close app button. For now I'll just have to force quit the app before launching it that way that my audio still continues to play normally from my third-party app in the background.
kjstech
Send a message
PA, USA - iPhone XS Max - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer

Post by kpouer
It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Big problem when finishing driving, switching to sleep mode and shut down my phone.
Then if I unlock the phone (not for driving) waze is restarted, so I have to put it again ins keep mode then switch the apps.
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa

Post by kpouer
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kpouer wrote:It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Getting focus isn't the problem. Any app which was on-screen when the sleep button is pressed is on-screen when the device is unlocked. The "problem," IMO and likely yours and others, is that this automatically takes Waze out of sleep mode. I believe it should not automatically wake up on device unsleep.

I think there is a technical hurdle here for Waze devs: can they determine Waze is being activated from being tapped on from the springboard, or if it is being activated from waking from device sleep? If iOS makes this info available to apps, I think should act differently depending on the activation method: 1) tap on springboard: open and start GPS, network, etc. (wake up); 2) device awakened from sleep: Waze should stay in sleep mode.
Isn't it exactly what I told?
If waze cannot know if it was tapped from the springboard or if it is only the phone that was activated it should stay in sleep mode if it was it's previous state.
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa

Post by mwburn
Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
mwburn
Send a message
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by NCHeavyHorse
I agree with Faitaru - this is ridiculous and I'm sorry I updated the app now. I do have to restart Waze at times when I'm driving due to a bug where the screen remains dimmed after a notice. Going through the double tap of the home process while driving is NOT an improvement. Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?
NCHeavyHorse
Send a message

Post by omba_de
What I've recognized since iOS 7: many apps (all?) which are in the task line shut down after some time (don't know how much time that is). So if waze won't have that sleep button, you won't be able to switch between apps and bring it back properly (while driving).

And if you've ended waze with the sleep button, it's in the task line (like all other apps are) and it uses no extra batterie, no GPS and no data. So no big deal with it...
omba_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/0/00/AtericSig.png

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert

Post by omba_de
kjstech wrote:...
Is it possible at all to eliminate that behavior?
Isn't that happening with all apps? You lock the phone, and after waking it up the last used app is opened.

Just hit the home button once after putting waze to sleep... And you'll find your homescreen after waking your iPhone up...!
omba_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/0/00/AtericSig.png

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert

Post by PhantomSoul
I think one of the new behaviors on iOS being introduced with iOS 7 is the ability for apps to fully keep running in the background, as opposed to just having access to a select few functions when dismissed from the screen, as introduced in an earlier iOS version. This behavior is completely analogous to deactiving a window on a computer; the program continues running as if nothing changed but it's display is no longer on top.

Following this, pressing the home key will no longer shut your current app down. Rather it simply shows your home screen over the app you had on before. An app like Waze will continue to call out to location services, since it's designed to run in the background so it can continue to navigate even if you elect to put something else on the screen, or turn the screen off to save battery life.

In iOS 7, all apps will be shut down by double-tapping the home button, finding the slide that represents the running app you want to shut down, and flicking it upward. I guess that in order to streamline (and promote) this new gesture, Apple will be requiring any in-app shutdown controls to be removed, since there will be a standard iOS way to do it.

I think the sleep mode is a clever replacement for the shut down function, but also, being visually in the shut down function's place, serves as a reminder of the way iOS 7 works differently than what we've become used to. From there, we can either conveniently put it to sleep, or use Apple's new way of shutting the app down. Either way, your phone battery's charge is saved.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
faitaru wrote:Latest change makes it even worse. It now takes the following to force a restart of the app:
Home button
Double tap home button
Tap and hold waze in hotbar
Tap (-)
Home button
Home button
Waze icon

Utterly ridiculous.
There no doubt that this is painful on the current iOS 6 and is yet another reason to upgrade when iOS 7 becomes available. It changes the process to this:

Double tap home button.
Swipe to find Waze slide.
Flick it upward to shut it down.
Home button.
Waze icon.

Apple's rules: All apps must be shut down this way to standardize the shutdown process, or the app might not be approved for distribution to iOS 7.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message