Other Countries?

Post by BBoYTuRBo
I was just wondering if you had any plans to expand into other countries. I am in Canada, and I'm anxious to start doing some work on the map, but I can't even add roads or anything since it always just says "invalid city", even when I set state as "other". Should I bother logging my trips, or am I just wasting time?
BBoYTuRBo

POSTER_ID:2064

Send a message

Post by BBoYTuRBo
When I go to "Update Map", select a road I've mapped, and go to "Edit Road Details", there's a dropdown box for "State" where I select other (since there's only US states listed), and for city I type in London (London, Ontario), then put in the street name and all the other information. There's no option to choose a country. The error is "No such city."
BBoYTuRBo
Send a message

Post by BBoYTuRBo
It should be working the way you described it (choosing 'other' as country, and then London, Ontario as the city).
As I said, there is no option to choose a country, there is only a dropdown box for state (which is populated with US states, and an "other" option), then a text box for city. Unless I'm missing something.
Can you please send us a permalink of a road?
Will do. In fact, here's one: http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=9&l ... FFTTFFTTTT
BBoYTuRBo
Send a message

Post by BBoYTuRBo
There are no maps for my area either, so that's why I'm logging and adding them myself! However, it would be really nice to be able to overlay my recorded routes over a street map... it would make it much easier to identify roads.
BBoYTuRBo
Send a message

Post by BBoYTuRBo
How about this? --> http://ess.nrcan.gc.ca/mapcar/index_e.php

And wouldn't it be possible to just overlay routes on google maps satellite imagery or something?
BBoYTuRBo
Send a message

Post by BBoYTuRBo
I figured as much. Well thanks for looking into it and hopefully we'll see some new stuff soon!
BBoYTuRBo
Send a message

Post by krankyd
Hey,
definitely not a waste. All your rides will still be available to edit once we figure out why your city is coming back with this error, and we would be more than glad to start mapping countries like Canada.

Choosing 'other' as the country is the right thing - what city where you trying to enter?
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
We'll have a look.
It should be working the way you described it (choosing 'other' as country, and then London, Ontario as the city).
Can you please send us a permalink of a road?
(at the bottom right corner of the map - click the button and the URL of the page will change - you can send it over the forum or straight to alpha@waze.com)
Thanks
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
we'll check.
Is governmental information in Canada considered 'public domain' as in the states?
For example, for a lot of areas in the states we have USGS sat. imagery which is free.
http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/aerial.html
If a similar project exist in Canada that will be great.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
Unfortunately licensing issues will not allow us to use their sat. imagery for such purposes. We are looking at other sources - the site you sent looks interesting. I will look into their t&c and hopefully something good will come out of it...
I realize background imagery will make your mapping efforts much more pleasant. We still don't have coverage for the entire US and map editors there have the same problem.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane