Diverging Diamond Interchange

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Diverging Diamond Interchange

Postby jondrush » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:54 am

What I meant was, they can be built without taking any significant additional land from property owners beyond what exists today in a typical urban interchange, where right hand turns are made at a light. A double diamond is wider than a typical urban interchange. The single point only requires lengthened ramps and wider bridges, which will usually be taken from land that is already in the highway right-of-way. Opposition to additional land grabbing is the number one blockade to upgrading urban interchanges.
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 pm

jondrush wrote:Single Point Urban Interchanges are more interesting to me, because they can solve existing urban issues without consuming more land.

I have at least on of those on I-5 in Salem, OR. I've seen them several times in Memphis, TN. I don't see that they consume considerably less land than the diverging diamond, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 pm

jondrush wrote:Single Point Urban Interchanges are more interesting to me, because they can solve existing urban issues without consuming more land.

Hey, that looks familiar. I just cleaned up one of those here: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&la ... yers=BTTTT

All the ramps were already there and the arterial road (Telegraph Road) was already split, so I just edited the connectivity to make the intersection work. However, I suspect I will have to go back and simplify the interchange at some point.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm

Single Point Urban Interchanges are more interesting to me, because they can solve existing urban issues without consuming more land.
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:56 pm

This is the one in France that is mentioned in the article:

http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5 ... FTFTFFTTTT

I think a lot of people need to get used to this kind of intersections before they work OK... It seems unnatural to drive on the left side for a while, but the possibility of turning left onto a freeway ramp without traffic lights or crossing traffic can work OK.
gerben

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I am pretty sure this is the interchange in Cartouche. Aerial are old and the interchange matches the aerial right now. But I think I see a match between the aerial here and the FHA picture linked to previously.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:28 am

Ok. You caught me. I didn't read the entire thread.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:43 pm

EDIT: Changed subject line to match the name of the interchange. I left it misnamed below in my post
--
Hi all.

I was chatting with a friend who is a traffic engineer and he told me about a new type of intersection being implemented in the US. Currently, he says there are only two of these, one in MIssouri and other in Utah.

I believe he called it an 'inverse double diamond' or 'double inverse diamond' or something like that. It's a new way to improve traffic flow for a limited access freeway/highway with a lower volume roadway intersecting at a right angle. The interchange is for medium-volume traffic flow overall.

What's odd about it from a US-perspective is that on the non-freeway roadway, traffic direction is inverted under or above the freeway. That is, you are driving on the left for a distance until the other side of the interchange.

I just thought I'd drop this note because it looks interesting. I was thinking about mocking it up in a deserted area of Eastern Oregon which I am an AM of, just for visual sake so you could see how it works, but, just before posting this, I found it on the good ol' net. The Federal Highway Administration calls it a Double Crossover diamond. Check it out!

-Alan
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Website, Community, General