Diverging Diamond Interchange

Moderator: Unholy

Diverging Diamond Interchange

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:43 pm

EDIT: Changed subject line to match the name of the interchange. I left it misnamed below in my post
--
Hi all.

I was chatting with a friend who is a traffic engineer and he told me about a new type of intersection being implemented in the US. Currently, he says there are only two of these, one in MIssouri and other in Utah.

I believe he called it an 'inverse double diamond' or 'double inverse diamond' or something like that. It's a new way to improve traffic flow for a limited access freeway/highway with a lower volume roadway intersecting at a right angle. The interchange is for medium-volume traffic flow overall.

What's odd about it from a US-perspective is that on the non-freeway roadway, traffic direction is inverted under or above the freeway. That is, you are driving on the left for a distance until the other side of the interchange.

I just thought I'd drop this note because it looks interesting. I was thinking about mocking it up in a deserted area of Eastern Oregon which I am an AM of, just for visual sake so you could see how it works, but, just before posting this, I found it on the good ol' net. The Federal Highway Administration calls it a Double Crossover diamond. Check it out!

-Alan
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Diverging Diamond Interchange

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I am pretty sure this is the interchange in Cartouche. Aerial are old and the interchange matches the aerial right now. But I think I see a match between the aerial here and the FHA picture linked to previously.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:56 pm

This is the one in France that is mentioned in the article:

http://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5 ... FTFTFFTTTT

I think a lot of people need to get used to this kind of intersections before they work OK... It seems unnatural to drive on the left side for a while, but the possibility of turning left onto a freeway ramp without traffic lights or crossing traffic can work OK.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby jondrush » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm

Single Point Urban Interchanges are more interesting to me, because they can solve existing urban issues without consuming more land.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 pm

jondrush wrote:Single Point Urban Interchanges are more interesting to me, because they can solve existing urban issues without consuming more land.

Hey, that looks familiar. I just cleaned up one of those here: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&la ... yers=BTTTT

All the ramps were already there and the arterial road (Telegraph Road) was already split, so I just edited the connectivity to make the intersection work. However, I suspect I will have to go back and simplify the interchange at some point.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:19 pm

jondrush wrote:Single Point Urban Interchanges are more interesting to me, because they can solve existing urban issues without consuming more land.

I have at least on of those on I-5 in Salem, OR. I've seen them several times in Memphis, TN. I don't see that they consume considerably less land than the diverging diamond, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:54 am

What I meant was, they can be built without taking any significant additional land from property owners beyond what exists today in a typical urban interchange, where right hand turns are made at a light. A double diamond is wider than a typical urban interchange. The single point only requires lengthened ramps and wider bridges, which will usually be taken from land that is already in the highway right-of-way. Opposition to additional land grabbing is the number one blockade to upgrading urban interchanges.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:01 am

CBenson wrote: Hey, that looks familiar. I just cleaned up one of those here: http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&la ... yers=BTTTT

All the ramps were already there and the arterial road (Telegraph Road) was already split, so I just edited the connectivity to make the intersection work. However, I suspect I will have to go back and simplify the interchange at some point.

Cool, yep that would be a lot easier if Telegraph hill wasn't split. Also prolly shouldn't be a Major Highway, should it. :geek: :mrgreen: :twisted:
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:27 pm

jondrush wrote:Cool, yep that would be a lot easier if Telegraph hill wasn't split. Also prolly shouldn't be a Major Highway, should it. :geek: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Yeah, there are a lot of split highways in the base map here that I wouldn't have split. I'm not taking the time yet to convert them. And yeah, Telegraph should probably be a minor highway. But I don't worry much about the labels.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby khaytsus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:38 am

Yay me, I get to fix one of these in town now.. Harrodsburg Road under New Circle Road in Lexington construction just (mostly) wrapped up on one of these Double Crossover Diamond, or at least that's what they keep calling it.

USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
khaytsus

Next

Return to Website, Community, General