Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.

Argh! Straight-ahead gives "stay left": how to fix?

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
https://editor-beta.waze.com/editor/?zo ... s=71794368

I've tried named and no-name, different road types, etc. but I cannot get Waze to stop giving a "stay left" command at the end of that segment above. Here's the livemap route: https://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&l ... g=41005744

Any thoughts?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
the1who wrote:I am curious, if might be excessive segments there, but add a new street segment that goes straight but right turn disabled, and move the one that can turn right a bit South as an experiment? Just wondered if it might be the segments associated with the database that a new segment with new segment id helps any possible way.
That may be the key: a kludgy fix so that Waze doesn't think a right turn is even possible. I am sure the "stay left" is coming from there being the right turn there. The "straight" is to the left of the turn.
AndyPoms wrote:What about overlapping the ramp on the Primary St portion of SW Broadway St a bit (like in this horrible paint sketch)?
I'm afraid that will result in the same as before because the "right turn" is still to the right. In fact, it would likely change the "stay left" to "turn left."
CBenson wrote:You could make this segment a major highway "SW Broadway St" segment.
I have done that too. Major/primary/ramp/street along with each combination of named the same as the ramp, with no name, and with Broadway. Your specific suggestion just makes it say "stay left" at the previous junction. :)

I think I'd like to escalate this to the routing guys...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:
CBenson wrote:I would zoom in far and add a geometry node to make the right turn from the ramp to SW Broadway Dr a 90º angle. That'll make the SW Broadway St look like a "best continuation" to the routing server. You won't get a "stay to the left" without a corresponding "stay to the right" when the names of the two segments are both different than that of the preceding segment.
Done. Will check routing in a couple of days.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It is indeed working for the exit.

BUT, the problem has just migrated: traveling south on Broadway and continuing straight at that same junction, now gives a "stay right" instead of nothing, and if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all. This is all due to road types.

http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&lo ... g=41058174

http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&lo ... g=41009821
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:...traveling south on Broadway and continuing straight at that same junction, now gives a "stay right" instead of nothing, and if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all.
Looking at this in aerial and SV, perhaps this is actually a good thing. The main driving actually does "turn" to the left, but it's a curve and may not be considered a "turn."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:So it looks good now? I'm not sure what you mean by "if you want to turn right, it doesn't give any command at all."
I think it will be ok as-is.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm replying on this thread because I'm faced with a similar situation again. From the highlighted segment headed south from Burnside to US-26, Waze will currently give a "stay right" instruction, just because the name and road type changes, and the angle of the intersecting roadways east-west are not at 90 degrees.

I've already implemented a kludgy fix to get the roads to all cross at nearly 90 degrees. This is all very obnoxious.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
What about overlapping the ramp on the Primary St portion of SW Broadway St a bit (like in this horrible paint sketch)?
PortlandORIntersection.jpg
(32.09 KiB) Downloaded 1856 times
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by CBenson
You could make this segment a major highway "SW Broadway St" segment.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:You could make this segment a major highway "SW Broadway St" segment.
I have done that too. Major/primary/ramp/street along with each combination of named the same as the ramp, with no name, and with Broadway. Your specific suggestion just makes it say "stay left" at the previous junction. :)
That makes no sense to me. Why would that be any different from any crossroads where the road changes names at the crossroads? If you get a "stay to left" at the previous junction, why don't you get a "stay left" leaving this segment going to Market? I'm not questioning your experience, just stating that I can't distinguish between those two results. Guess I'd like to hear what the routing guys say.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902