Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 am

torone wrote:police/firefigther/ambulance
While a good idea, what's to stop any average driver from using that mode?
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:22 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
torone wrote:police/firefigther/ambulance
While a good idea, what's to stop any average driver from using that mode?

A ticket for driving ilegally?
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Lol. Well, there are a few options. 1) Allow those modes for everyone and not treat them as anything special, 2) Don't add those moods at all, or 3) Add the moods, but require some special flag to use them. A special flag would require that emergency services who want to make use of those moods would need to request a flag to be added to their employees so they can use the moods but no one else can. The biggest problem there is that the emergency services would have to want their employees to use Waze and to use those moods in order to get support from them for something like that. In the US, I don't really see that happening, though maybe I'm wrong.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby fvwazing » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Emergency response vehicles in most of the developed world use special gear which costs a ton and uses handcrafted maps (check http://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/news.php?news=2222 for instance) and they are never going to give that up, for liability alone.

But Malaysia? Indonesia? Once the map has high quality for normal traffic a lot could be done, if a squad of ambulancedrivers or a firebrigade pick it up. I feel hesitant about putting another burden on Waze-staff for managing this and hope that an Emergency-Response-Vehicle-mode would create such weird routing at places that any driver trying it will do so only once. Or maybe the local champs should distribute such tokens? They are better situated for research on applicants.

Oh, and ERV are not just another mood. For this to work it also requires a different router. A special webpage for just tracking the different ERV's in a single city is also needed, so that dispatchers can see their vehicles located in real time. To get located by the dispatcher but not by the general public needs a client that sends its location in two different accuracies; and it would be nice if the ERV would show different on the map/get different routing as soon as the horn and lights are on ;`) ETA? 2023 at earliest.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Riamus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:25 pm

I agree about where you are likely to see the interest and where you are not likely to see it. And the suggestion of having the champs manage that is a good idea if they'd be willing. Of course, that would all depend on Waze being willing to implement it in the first place.

Having separate routing, real-time map positions, etc. could definitely be valuable, but would require significantly more work. But it does open some possibilities such as notifying ERVs of accidents or other issues directly. The issue there is accuracy. Would they be willing to trust that over a phone call? Not everywhere has 911 and not everyone probably has the phone number(s) for emergencies with them on the road, so calling isn't always an option. But when you call, you are providing information that can be acted on if you file an invalid report (at least in the US). If it's sent from Waze, will Waze need to send your phone number with the report so they know how to find someone who is entering invalid reports? With that issue, I'm not sure if it would ever be accepted, but there may be countries that are more willing to accept that kind of thing.

And I see similar value for other services such as tow trucks. Not everywhere will tow a broken down vehicle right away (I've seen broken down vehicles on state highways in MA for 1-2 weeks before being removed), but others don't allow them to sit there more than 24 hours. For such locations, marking it on the map lets towing companies know where to go to pick the vehicles up. You still run into issues with people marking things that aren't there, though.

There are just so many possibilities if you can work out the kinks. But whether or not there is interest and whether or not the problems can be worked out satisfactorily is the question.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby noonnoon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 am

It has probably mentioned before but if a motorcycle mode is ever added, then waze needs an option to run in background. I don't use much navigation in my home town when riding but I would like to hear alerts.
No point keeping screen on when using headphones and phone is in the pocket but without navigation waze will shut down after some time.
noonnoon

Postby Lilywusky1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I say, add mopeds. I drive a moped myself, and it drives almost as fast as cars are allowed to drive on normal roads, the difference is just 2 or 3 mph.
However, with our laws and such, a moped driver often has to use bicycle lanes, depending on the rules on that stretch of road. There's a bicycle tunnel on my way to work, and I use it, saves me a slow traffic light and such. I've tried adding the tunnel to the map, but it doesn't show up on the map editor, sadly. But yeah, mopeds should be added to the vehicles.
Lilywusky1

Postby Riamus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:46 pm

If a road isn't allowed for normal traffic, it generally shouldn't be added (at least, not connected to the main roads). I'm not sure if there is something different in the Netherlands, but that seems to be pretty standard everywhere. Adding routes that normal drivers can't use can lead to routing problems for those drivers. And at this time, those are the people Waze is catering to. Eventually, Waze will start adding other methods of transportation that can include such special routes. Until then, they are probably not a good idea to add.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby gadgetech3142 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

CBenson wrote:I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.

Samsung Note 2
We have the same situation (HOV/HOT lanes) in Houston on I-10, and they are adding it to US-290. We have HOV lanes all over town, most of which reverse direction depending on the time of day.

There are also a few major side roads that have center lanes that reverse direction depending on traffic and/or time of day. (yes, I know, this one should go on the Map forum, I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to warn people coming from the correct direction of hazards in that lane.)

gadgetech
gadgetech3142

Postby yurasik2000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:29 am

Motorcycle vehicle type is badly needed here in South Korea, as all Freeways are forbidden for them. But it would be fine if only Freeways were not available. There are a lot of motorway segments starting suddenly, where you can hardly notice road sign (or sign is too late to avoid motorway).
In Korea when motorcyclist do plan a long trip, they carefully create road map in advance, as most navigation apps ignore motorcyclists and suggest forbidden road instead.
I would really be glad to have motorcycle mode in the client, and possibility to map forbidden segments in the map editor.
Thanks!
Yuri.
yurasik2000
Localizers
Localizers

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App