The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

New roundabouts appear oval in Cartouche

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Hello all,

I am curious about why, when I create a roundabout, it appears to be oblong in Cartouche, stretched East-to-West. At least, it appears that way in Cartouche. And so I try to fix it to make it look round, but then it looks screwed up in the client.

Now, most of my mapping work is done around the 45th parallel, 1/2 way between equator and polar cap. Could this be happening because of the apparent North-South "flattening" when going from spherical to cartesian, and over-compensating for the longer distances between longitudes? Am I even making any sense with this post? I'm confusing myself. :)

I just know that in Cartouche, my roundabouts look oval, but they are (closer to) round in the client.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:We have a few perfectly circular roundabouts in my area, and in the aerial photographs they are ovals due to the angle at which they were taken.
Thanks for confirming.
rl_pl wrote:Is it because you have one of the wide screen displays which became popular lately and your graphic card resolution does not match its aspect?
:D It is widescreen, but the resolution is set to match at 1680x1050, which isn't quite 16:9. At home it's 1920x1080.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
rl_pl wrote:Is it because you have one of the wide screen displays which became popular lately and your graphic card resolution does not match its aspect?
I keep my display in portrait orientation and my roundabouts come out oblong stretched east to west too.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by harling
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I am curious about why, when I create a roundabout, it appears to be oblong in Cartouche, stretched East-to-West... Could this be happening because of the apparent North-South "flattening" when going from spherical to cartesian...?
That was my assumption. We have a few perfectly circular roundabouts in my area, and in the aerial photographs they are ovals due to the angle at which they were taken. By matching the width of the circle, the height turns out correct. It's more tricky to get it right when the roundabout is not perfectly circular, but after a couple you get the hang of it.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by rlpl
Is it because you have one of the wide screen displays which became popular lately and your graphic card resolution does not match its aspect?
rlpl
Send a message
My previous login name was rl_pl.