This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by GizmoGuy411
khaytsus wrote:Anyone know the proper abbreviation for Sideroad? I thought it was Srd and had been using this, but that is pronounced "S R D". Not seeing it in the spreadsheet either.
Remember that the list is a test to learn every possible abbreviation that the TTS knows, and not necessarily a recommendation of what to use.

Since this is a bit of an usual case, and the name is not that long, I think it is best to not abbreviate it at all. (Falling back to our motto here of, "When in doubt, spell it out".

Of course I would still like to test for possible abbreviations, just not sure where to start. I did a Google search and found a few uses for "Sideroad" but did not see any useful abbreviations to test.

If you can find actual street signs using an abbreviation, it may help.

If you find the name as two words, then "Side Rd" should be fine. If you find "Sideroad" or "Side-road" then I suppose a specific abbreviation may be in order. From what I have read so far, it looks like the single word noun, "sideroad" is pretty much a Canadian usage, with little additional information. And as already pointed out, at least the Candian Post has no abbreviation listed for it.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by GizmoGuy411
khaytsus wrote:...
just "S R D" isn't good either. :)
True, since with the spaces, TTS would speak it as "South R D". And the only way to get the four cardinal letters spoken as letters is to put them in lower case in single quotes, which would sure make your case look strange.

If you look close, there are also a few things in the list that we actually recommend to NOT use, and hopefully Waze will find a way to remove them in the future. (Like "Penn" for Pennsylvania, as then there is no way to have "Penn Road" spoken correctly, unless you misspell it :( )
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
LittlestLou wrote:Co Rd is now pronounced as "Coe Road" and not "County Road". Also contrary to naming conventions on the wiki. Again, this is a new issue, not a problem up until this release...

Are you sure, because I could swear that it has been that way for a while. We have a ton of county roads in NW Ohio, and we have slowly been changing them to "CR xxx" as we canvas the rural areas. "CR" does get pronounced correctly as "County Road", and not to be confused with "Country Road".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
xteejx wrote:OK its all St are now saying Saint. Wtf guys? The Street Paul's Street I could live with as Saint is only some roads, but now every Street is Saint, seriously sort it out and revert all recent changes to the UK TTS. Or better yet, give one of us access to the rules on Vocalizer and we can do it in a few minutes!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Send a message about this "Support" and see what happens. They don't read this thread.

On the other hand, I have been in contact recently with Waze about this and a few other issues, and they are looking for a possible solution.

I doubt that giving us direct access to the Vocalizer interface will be a possibility however. They would probably have to build an interface to it.

To make matters worse, the issue may not be something solvable with Vocalizer. There are actually two issues at hand. One is the overall TTS database and customized "mobile app" database from Nunance, and another is the exception rule system that Vocalizer can adjust for individual things.

Since I've never found any public documentation for the Nuance Vocalizer, so I really do not know how it interacts with the databases, nor what exceptions it can handle.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
xteejx wrote:St at the end is now saying Saint. Will look into this at my end as I didn't name it and it might have a dot.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What "voice" are you using for Waze? In the US we use Nuance's "Samantha" or "Tom", however I suspect that the voice(s) for the UK, may not use the same TTS databases.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
jasonh300 wrote:
How about CR-##?
Last February it worked. For some reason I had an "Add" notation for it. Guess I should retest it.

Now that the tile turn around time has shortened I need to test the rest of the list. Hopefully before mid January.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
sbelekevich wrote:...
Wisconsin county roads have been pronounced "Coh Road" since I started using Waze 10 months ago. We've been changing them to CR-xxx though (still works with the dash)

Thanks for reconfirming that.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
imajica12345 wrote:I live in Quebec and often we have streets with directions like east/west, but here it is spelled est/ouest. it pronounces the ouest as west which is fine, but it pronounces est as "Estate".

Something to eventually fix i assume
I've set up a couple of test to see how this can be handled.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
txemt wrote:I have confirmed, today, that "SH" for "State Highway" is NOT working. :(
Correct. Along with "SH" I have also just tested for "SH-123" also, and can re-confirm that is still does not work either.

I've also tested for various forms of abbreviations for "Township" and "Township Road" and did not find any that worked.

I'll add these results to the list shortly.

What I did discover was another anomaly, for differing results between the two audio files that are created for any given segment. One file always says just the "Street Name" property contents, while the other file says, the word "At" followed by "Street Name" property contents.

The test for "SH-123" resulted in one audio file that said "At ess-aitch one two three" and the other file said, "ess-aitch one hundred twenty three". Very curious.

The last such similar anomaly was with a test of “Borough”, “Parade”, and “Parish”, by using the abbreviations of "Boro par ph".

One file said "At borough parade phone, and other other said, "borough par pea-aitch".
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile

Post by GizmoGuy411
AndyPoms wrote:Pkwy confirmed by several people as Parkway.
Andy, do you happen to know which capitalization variations were confirmed?

Unfortunately, the TTS results are often defendant on capitalization, punctuation, and position with other words, not to mention the other issue I just mentioned in my previous post.

These make the TTS list that much larger and complicated, as most of the early tests did not take any of these depandancy issues into consideration.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
(and past GLR RC)
Wiki Profile