Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Should we change the Ramp Naming scheme?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:40 am
Keep them as specified in the Wiki
3%
Change to proposed shorter format
88%
Something different (post below)
3%
Meh, don't care either way
6%

Total votes: 34

[POLL] Junction Naming Scheme [UK]

Post by laurentmahe
Not sure if this is the right place, if not please feel free to correct me / point me to the right location.
I have an annoyance with the spoken directions / instructions when driving from 1 motorway to another one (like M23 to M25). The instructions are like "Exit left onto M23 North Junction 10 to M25 West"
Whereas I understand a full detailed name of the ramp is useful for traffic reporting, it's really annoying when directed.
Are there any plans to improve this with a shorter announcement?

thanks
laurentmahe

POSTER_ID:7549721

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Silly question but wasn't the name convention set originally to aid traffic reports, so that they'd be clear as to where, exactly the traffic report related to?

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by DG567
I realise it's probably too late now (sorry, I've not been keeping up with the forums), but isn't "Junction to" a bit jarring grammatically?
"Junction with" perhaps, though that would add even more characters on screen....
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I've split this from the original thread which is at http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... &start=110
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
Timbones wrote:It looks like the ayes have it then. All we need to do now is make it happen.

via mobile
Done
dknight212
Send a message

Post by elljay23
I agree the current naming is too long and confusing. +1 for Tim's suggestion
elljay23
Send a message

Post by g1btv
I support Tims scheme too, at some junctions the TTS is so long that it repeats immediately and it all becomes one long confusing string
g1btv
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/8/8a/W ... 50k_5c.png] Dudley,Mid Wales,Worcester, Staffordshire
Ever fallen asleep at the wheel? get checked out for Sleep Apnoea - it may save your life

Post by kieranrawley
I'm all for the shorter format as it'll stop my dad complaining that he's being overloaded with information at exits. Makes me feel like it's my fault :)
kieranrawley
Send a message
(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c6/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by kieranrawley
Is this going to need a script from Waze team or are we to revisit every junction again?
kieranrawley
Send a message
(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/c/c6/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by leocylau
Timbones wrote:My pet hate is A-roads without junction numbers, where Waze will say "Exit left onto A64 Exit to A19". Must be a better way...
I get used to but still don't like it. Yes, it'll be better if it is 'Exit left onto A19'. However, without dig out the convention history, I believe we added 'A64 Exit to...' is for the traffic report. Without this bit, traffic report will say, for eg. 'Heavy traffic on A19...' but actually it was on A64 sliproad. That's confusing.

Junction wise, I'm not sure if Waze will say the Junction name or number in the future if the Junction feature is introduced.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator