Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby krikketdoug » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:46 am

An additional thought about vehicle types...

"Limo" and "Shuttle". I've ended up changing jobs from a truck driver to working at one of the busiest airports in the world, and now see lane restrictions between taxi's, limos. shuttles (company vans used for moving peope in mass, similar to public transport. and public transportation can have different road restrictions.

I still think that approving multiple truck classes is more imporant of an issue. So as the queaky wheel is the one that get's the grease, I mention it again.

Krikket
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
http://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Postby krikketdoug » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:15 pm

Out of curiosity, would that ban include vehicles that are powered by LPG rather than gasoline?
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
http://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Postby Lama_Dopje » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:20 am

Add bicycles! We have a lot of cycling lanes in the Netherlands and it would be nice to recognize this as well.
Lama_Dopje

Postby leocylau » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:54 pm

1 - Truck (1st priority):
WME to provide choices of road type: Weak bridge/narrow road/low bridge...
2 - Bus (2nd priority):
WME to proivde choices of road type: Bus lane/no car lane...
3 - Train (no necessary)
4 - Bicycle/walk (NO):
The recent map is already complicated. We can have it in the future but it's better to have an other bicycle map using other WME.
Vehicle types will give us some benefit but just wonder it will cause routing problem as Toll road does :?
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM, HK CM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby leocylau » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Volum1 wrote:Are there any news about putting on a road a "weight limit"? In my country (Estonia), there are many cities, that can't allow trucks above 8 tonne or so. That idea, in my opinion, is brilliant.

+1
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM, HK CM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby LilianeWusky » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I say, add mopeds. I drive a moped myself, and it drives almost as fast as cars are allowed to drive on normal roads, the difference is just 2 or 3 mph.
However, with our laws and such, a moped driver often has to use bicycle lanes, depending on the rules on that stretch of road. There's a bicycle tunnel on my way to work, and I use it, saves me a slow traffic light and such. I've tried adding the tunnel to the map, but it doesn't show up on the map editor, sadly. But yeah, mopeds should be added to the vehicles.
LilianeWusky
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby lucasmlessa » Wed May 07, 2014 12:58 pm

I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesians love motorcycles as much as they love cellphones. So you can imagine the end of this story...

Waze here has a MAJOR problem which is the motorcycle users... Waze should have different algorithm for cars and motorcycles.

Motorcycles in Indonesia are in millions, much more than cars, and they drive much faster, making the waze average traffic speed always incorrect.

Those users also go on Waze Map Editor and make small little pave ways as drivable, also messing up with the whole system and drive directions. :x

Waze please HELP with a solution for this problem! :?
lucasmlessa

Postby Machete808 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Here's a UR about the issue, apparently from a trucker:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 933&zoom=5

CBenson wrote:
nepahxc wrote:WE NEED A TRUCK MODE! please.....

It is up to the waze editing community to add the truck restrictions to the waze map to make any such designation useful. There is a brief discussion here regarding which roads should be designated as prohibited to trucks. Feel free to use you experience and add your input there.

I'll direct him to the forum post CBenson mentioned.

Just to add: It's true that editors have to set the restrictions before the setting could be effective. Do we know that the setting iS ready to be deployed and is only waiting for us to do the restrictions? It's hard to know which of the many tasks editors have to do should get top priority. There's so much work to do on the map!
Aloha,
Vicki
Hawaii State Manager

iPhone5c, iOS 8.0.2
Image Image

Helpful links:
How to handle parking lots
Waze help/support
Machete808
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby MikeyMikeT » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:12 am

A motorcycle option would be great to see. The live data regarding my speed shouldn't count, since in Thailand we are permitted to drive between cars that are stuck in epic traffic jams.

That being said, larger bikes DO get stuck in the traffic jams since they are too big to fit between the cars. Also, in some countries lane sharing is illegal, so motorcycles can offer legitimate data about traffic speed.

Maybe two options for motorcycles would work best: Motorcycle (lane-sharing disabled) and Motorcle (lane sharing enabled). The default could have lane-sharing disabled, but for those of use in places that allow it we could enable it. I love Waze, but I do feel my presence on the road screws up the data.
MikeyMikeT

Postby mirarkitty » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 am

Well, something to start with that needs to enter into the maps as soon as possible:

* Taxi mode - can take taxi lanes and shortcuts a lot in sweden - need map support
* Bus mode - same there (bus~=taxi+truck), and need map support
* Carpooling mode - may take special lanes as well (doesn't exist in sweden though)
* MC mode - they may bypass stuck traffic and mess up roads
* Truck mode - slow, messes up roads, might need permissions on roads on the map to pick the right roads
* Trailer mode - slow, messes up roads

Maybe a height/weight-of-vehicle with permissions set on roads for that.

Speaking of which, please add time-limited permissions on roads while you're on that ("7:30-22:00 only northbound")...
mirarkitty

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App