Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by krikketdoug
Gerald_Snyman wrote: The slowing down part, I understand, but here in SA cars just downright hate trucks. oh, even if you say you're a trucker, then immediately you loose whatever status you had, and be a dummy... *sigh*
You have my sympathies.
krikketdoug wrote: Which is why I've advocated for a "Alternative truck" category. You have 18 wheelers, and you have smaller box-trucks... I don't expect Waze to recognize all the differences, particularly when it comes to gross vehicle weight.
I fully agree! Let's just start with one truck mode. In SA, vehicles over 3.5 ton GVM are considered heavy vehicles. Usually 5+ ton needs to adhere compulsory safety stops, weigh bridge, speed, etc.
krikketdoug wrote:
I'd love to see mandatory rest stops, but I don't think that's reasonable...
What??? Drive 1600 km (1000 miles) with a car, it doesn't take that long to realize, that at some point you need to take a wee, or the bright sun kills your eyes (uhm, driving with sun glases makes things worse for me), or the stark darkness overwhelms you too, and then you wish for a safe place to pull over.

I suggest a simple landmark type REST STOP, and when you within the borders thereof, your speed has no influence on the traffic data, or a parking lot segment can be made parallel to the main road. The important part is, it needs to be searchable!! A driver gets tired at any given moment. I would like Waze to, on request perhaps, to tell where the nearest rest stop is. I'm not talking about a facility with a tuck shop and huge parking lot. I'm talking about a stop spot government makes in the middle of nowhere, where a few vehicles can fit in (some is large enough for a fleet, some just 3 vehicles).
[/quote]
Ahh! We were talking past each other. I thought you were talking about something like an app that keeps track of mandatory rests, not a location.
krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote: Some WEIGH BRIDGE is 24 hours open and require trucks to always enter the primary weigh bridge, to determine if the truck needs to be pulled over for an official weight. Thus, it would be nice if Waze can tell the driver to keep onto the bridge lane.
Agreed! Now if we can get Weigh station/bridge added as a landmark...
What does it help to add a weigh station as a landmark, if landmarks does nothing, except for cluttering the screen and waste server data storage space? When I add a landmark, it should be searchable after map updates. Something needs to exist in Google Maps, before it can be searchable in Waze...
[/quote]
I can't speak for the world servers, but the Waze map is searchable in the US right now using an iOS device. I can't say if the roll-out has happened for android devices yet, but it is in the works. I'm sure the world servers will be soon to follow.
krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote: Waze can navigate trucks on routes with less hills.
All ready in the works, if I understand correctly.
That's why I signed up for being a beta tester. So I can know what is in the pipeline :lol:
krikketdoug wrote:
Gerald_Snyman wrote: When a truck stops on a long segment, Waze should ask the driver if it's a place to stop and rest. If yes, then mark a 50 meter radius.
If a truck driver doesn't shut off waze when making long distance trips. I'd ask why not. Or are all trips long-distance with no stops at red lights?
I don't understand the red light part,
[/quote]
Part of the misunderstanding. Ignore the comment.
but, as for me, I simply keep Waze on (or actually my previous navigator which works according to my personal drive statistics), to keep track of my ETA. When I see I've gained 10 minutes on my drive, then I know I can rest for that time, without loosing my ETA. When I make an unplanned stop, then I need to work to reach my ETA again. I simply don't turn off my navigator(s), because of the downside of Waze being an online route planner. In the middle of nowhere, when I turn off Waze, I need to wait for data signals again to select my destination again. When I do pull over to sleep, I turn everything off. But for any stop less than 1 hour, I keep everything on... I know I sound like we are very tight on ETA, which is not the case. I've made ETA something to keep me concentrating on, otherwise, driving becomes hopelessly boring and falling asleep while driving becomes all the more a greater risk. All experienced drivers will tell you that you feel wide awake right now, 5 seconds later you are fast asleep, simply skipping the part of feeling drowsy. Please, I ask of you to understand the importance of finding safe places to stop and rest in the country side / outback / the middle of nowhere...
Gotcha. Apparently our experiences with getting Waze data are very different. In my case, any time I pull over and stop to run into a store or something, I shut off Waze because I don't want to feed bad data about the roads. When I power up again, it asks if I want to continue the route. All pretty much instantaneously.
NEW STUFF:
Oh yeah, what I forgot, in SA trucks have an upper max speed of 80 km/h. Everywhere in the country (freeway included), it's illegal for a truck to exceed 80 km/h (I think it's 50 mph), in most towns the speed limit is 40 km/h. Then also, any dangerous goods vehicle (even a pickup truck / bakkie / light delivery vehicle [LDV]) may not exceed 80 km/h. I know they are in the minority of being almost non-existent, but a simple decision in car mode to set the maximum speed the user wants to drive, will help already a great deal with ETA.

Right now, if Waze can add that simple feature of the user decides what the maximum speed he wants to drive, will help all vehicle types, although car type is the only available right now. My longest route is 1600 km (1k miles), and the difference between 80 & 120 km/h completely mess up my ETA. Even on a 500 km distance, a car do that in 5 hours, an 18 wheeler does that in 8-9 hours... I'm so used to driving slow, that even with my car I drive 80-100 km/h. I wish to have a setting for max speed in Waze...

The solution is fairly simple, Waze only need to check each segment's speed and if greater than user-max-speed then limit the segment speed accordingly. Or take the sum of all the segment distances that exceed user-max-speed, and calculate ETA according to user-max-speed, then add to the sum of ETA of all slow segments.
In the works from what I understand

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
Not so much a max speed setting, as the trucks will be computed separately from cars, so you will get the average drive time for cars and trucks through an area.

But then again, while this is in the process of being implemented (if I understand correctly) it's still at a point where there's place to add data to the map, but this isn't even in beta. Just in the works.

I am not a Waze guru here, and don't want to misrepresent things. It's just the best understanding that I have at the moment.

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
Already in the works. This is in the same category as trucks. Quickly checking what vehicle types I can add restrictions to on a road, I get the following list:

Trucks
Public Transportation
Taxis
Buses
HOV-2 "High Occupancy Vehicle" with at least 2 people in the car
HOV-3 "High Occupancy Vehicle" with at least 3 people in the car
RV
Towing Vehicle
Motorcycles
Private Vehicle (I'm assuming this means your average car)
Hazardous Materials

If you missed my earlier comment, this isn't even in beta testing yet. They are just allowing us to add the data for when things reach that point.
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
petervdveen wrote:
Rottame65 wrote:Country: Italy
I use waze with my scooter and in my hometown, Milan, scooters and motorbikes are allowed to run on most bus and taxi lane. It would be great if waze will recognize bus and taxi lanes allowed to other categories of vehicles.
Better don't.
You will create fake traffic jams and removed the correct ones.
I'm not in a position to comment on anything other than the bare basics. But Waze works on restrictions, not allowances. So there is no "Taxi Lane". There is a lane that taxis are allowed to use. If Scooters or motorbikes are allowed to use them then they are not restricted.

I *SUSPECT* that the travel times will be calculated separately from taxis. So I think that the "scooter in a taxi lane" will only create traffic jams for other scooters who wish to use that taxi lane. And if that scooter can't get through, this is a good thing, In My Not so-humble Opinion.

I'm not in that part of the world, and cannot comment on how things will work in real-life versus how we model it.

An example: Local to me are some streets that are one way only during certain hours on school days. So we can program Waze to accept those limitations Monday through Friday, between certain dates. (School start to end.) It's not as good as knowing the entire schedule of the school for things like days off, but it's better than where we are now. So we go with the general rule, rather than the specific rule.

I suspect the same type of logic will apply here. Once again, the same restrictions apply. I can only speak to what I know first-hand. I am not a guru and cannot predict things in the future... Waze time for "soon" doesn't always correspond to real-life "soon". But I haven't even been involved with Waze long enough to know that first-hand...

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
An additional thought about vehicle types...

"Limo" and "Shuttle". I've ended up changing jobs from a truck driver to working at one of the busiest airports in the world, and now see lane restrictions between taxi's, limos. shuttles (company vans used for moving peope in mass, similar to public transport. and public transportation can have different road restrictions.

I still think that approving multiple truck classes is more imporant of an issue. So as the queaky wheel is the one that get's the grease, I mention it again.

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
Out of curiosity, would that ban include vehicles that are powered by LPG rather than gasoline?
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by Lama_Dopje
Add bicycles! We have a lot of cycling lanes in the Netherlands and it would be nice to recognize this as well.
Lama_Dopje
Send a message

Post by lateknightucd
Navigation type: All
What about the option to show total cost for tolls from a starting to ending location? I noticed when I drove from Grand Rapids to Chicago last time that it would have been helpful to know not just that there were tolls but that there were three $1.50 tolls.

Thanks!!
lateknightucd
Send a message

Post by leocylau
1 - Truck (1st priority):
WME to provide choices of road type: Weak bridge/narrow road/low bridge...
2 - Bus (2nd priority):
WME to proivde choices of road type: Bus lane/no car lane...
3 - Train (no necessary)
4 - Bicycle/walk (NO):
The recent map is already complicated. We can have it in the future but it's better to have an other bicycle map using other WME.
Vehicle types will give us some benefit but just wonder it will cause routing problem as Toll road does :?
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by leocylau
Volum1 wrote:Are there any news about putting on a road a "weight limit"? In my country (Estonia), there are many cities, that can't allow trucks above 8 tonne or so. That idea, in my opinion, is brilliant.
+1
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator