Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby Riamus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:53 pm

fvwazing wrote:Waze is not for bicycling, and it will never be for bicycling. Didn't you read one bit of the comments in this thread?

Don't say never. Waze has specifically said that they are considering adding bicycle and walking options in the future. It's true that they may change their mind and it could end up never happening, but they did say that. If they said it, then it is at least on the table for consideration. And by adding vehicle types to Waze, it's actually very easy from that point to make it so Waze can be used for bicycling and walking without it affecting traffic speed data. In fact, it would be a good thing for that very reason. Waze could consider adding all of those walkways and paths, but that isn't necessarily a requirement. They could just put in a bicycle or pedestrian vehicle type that does not affect speed data and leave it at that. It wouldn't even require much coding beyond what is done for adding other vehicle types. The coding that would be needed would be if they want to map all walking/biking paths, but as I said, that isn't even really necessary unless they wanted to do so.
Riamus

Postby Quokka_I » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 am

Desired New Vehicle Type: Bicycle
Desired New Roadway: Bicycle Path
Quokka_I
Localizers
Localizers

Postby krikketdoug » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:15 am

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in Illinois, USA there is a B-Class Truck class. (Maybe call it alternate truck, so it's not Ill specific?)

The Alt-Truck class is primarily used for things like pickups that are used like pickup trucks that want to carry over XX load...

I admit I haven't researched this within the last 10 years, but as an example...

A regular truck is banned from some side-roads, but a alt-truck wouldn't be IF the destination is within the no-truck zone, while regular trucks would be. (Im ignoring the subject of moving trucks due to questions of the legality of moving a truck into a non-truck zone to avoid having to hand cary a house's furniture...)

As an example, from what I understand, a pickup with a alt-truck plate would be forbidden on driving on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, IL, or Storrow Drive, in Boston, MA, it would be allowed on the side-streets.

So for a practical matter, I'd tie it into "Major Road" setting, and if forbidden there, forbid it across the board. If it's just tied into a street, allow the alt-truck to drive there.
krikketdoug

Postby AndyPoms » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Magnum_26 wrote:How about a little person for when walking, and a Train one that follows the train routes?
Waze is NOT for use while walking or when on the Train.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby everylastbyteltd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 am

How about a little person for when walking, and a Train one that follows the train routes? :D

Also can you add in a black car that isn't a smart car? I've got a black Fiesta (new style) add one of them for me? 8-)
everylastbyteltd

Postby Nikiburton » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:36 pm

In Spain there are some streets of exclusive use for electrical cars. Can this category be added?
Regards
Nikiburton
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby fvwazing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Does it? I am told it shows your friends going to the same destination, in the final stages of their trip.
fvwazing

Postby BridgeAce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

fvwazing wrote:Alas, we will find them in the traffic accident statistics, like these:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... 1&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... t&safe=off

OMG...I never used waze to navigate cycling or walking in town. That is crazy! You know the way already.
But waze is good for seeing which of your friends are also wandering around in town/cycling-to-work.
BridgeAce

Postby fvwazing » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:30 pm

ictag wrote:But my guess is that may have been the original reason for waze but that it's being increasingly used by pedestrians and cyclists because of the the cool new Facebook features. Particularly in Europe.

Alas, we will find them in the traffic accident statistics, like these:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... 1&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... t&safe=off

Waze will guide you into the fastest traffic BY DESIGN. Add to that a lowered level of awareness, induced by Facebook-usage...
fvwazing

Postby BridgeAce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:56 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
ictag wrote:I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.
Waze is NOT for use on bicycles.

Oh. Ok.
But my guess is that may have been the original reason for waze but that it's being increasingly used by pedestrians and cyclists because of the the cool new Facebook features. Particularly in Europe.
BridgeAce

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App