Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Sleep button on future iOS versions

Post by shirlig
Hi guys,

We wanted to inform you that starting from the upcoming version (3.7.3) the "Switch off" button on iOS versions (only) will be replaced by a "Sleep" button, this in is in order to comply with Apple's requirements.

It will look like that:
main2.jpg
(84.88 KiB) Downloaded 5665 times
and by hitting the "Sleep" button this screen will show up:
switch off7-sleep.jpg
(66.68 KiB) Downloaded 5628 times
Then you'll have the options either to resume the app or to hit the phone's home button to exit.
shirlig

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Waze will "wake itself up" if you sleep your phone directly from the "Waze is asleep" screen and then unlock your phone.
Right, although according to his post stuartdole was pressing the Home button after putting Waze to sleep.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
stuartdole wrote:I just updated to iOS 7, and something - Waze? - burned through 95% of my battery during the night. This is on an iPhone 4S.

When I arrive at a destination I usually select "Sleep" from the lower left menu, then hit the Home button to go on to other things, then the power button so I can put the phone in my pocket. I'd be much happier with a "Quit" or "Over and Out" button. (Seems Waze is a light sleeper!)

Does it wake itself from "Sleep" now? Do I have to kill the app every time I'm done driving (double-tap Home, swipe, flick (or hold and (-)), tap)? Can Waze sense that the phone is now quiet (accelerometer) and stop looking for GPS signals (and the massive floating point arithmetic load that calls for)?

Many thanks!
If it was Waze, it was irregular behavior.

Sleep disables Waze's location function and, once the data from your last drive is sent to the server, its data transmission function as well.

Waze shouldn't wake up from sleep unless you open it up again. You shouldn't have to kill the app.

Waze does effectively put itself to sleep after 10 minutes in the background without movement.

Waze used to have a "Turn Off" button, but Apple brought down the big hammer which says on it "The Only Way to Quit an App Is the Home Button", and it had to be changed.

Either way, maybe it wasn't Waze?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
dougstrickland wrote: This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.
That is patently false. Home goes to the home screen from every app, even Apple's.

If you need convincing, here:

Any jailbreak "solution" you might have doesn't count. You may just be mistaken, and that's fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dougstrickland wrote: This is simply not true. Open iBooks on an iPad - open a book. Press the Home button. You are returned to the Library/bookshelf.
Not on my iPhone. It takes me to the homescreen. I seriously doubt it's different on the iPad, but I'll try it when I get home if you insist.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
kpouer wrote:It seems the system has changed between the last beta and the release, now when waze gets the focus it is reactivated.
Big problem when finishing driving, switching to sleep mode and shut down my phone.
Then if I unlock the phone (not for driving) waze is restarted, so I have to put it again ins keep mode then switch the apps.
Yep, I mentioned this before, maybe in the old 3.7.3 feedback thread that accidentally got deleted. It's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:
phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?
No. It's unfortunate, but this change was forced by Apple's rules.
The "putting to sleep" is yes. But the "having to tap Wake Up" every single time to start it, is all Waze's (bad) idea.
That's been fixed in 3.7.3.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
phenagan wrote:Is there anyway to add the option in the sleep to ask if you want to sleep or shut down?
No. It's unfortunate, but this change was forced by Apple's rules.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
mwburn wrote:Yep, in fact they got it wrong and backwards.

The "recommendation" is that if your application doesn't "exit" when the home button is pressed, THEN you warn the user that it's still running (and why, etc). Granted, I don't like the idea of waze (or any other app) using a "warning" screen if I want to hit the home button and change applications either.

There's been a lot of debate about how to enlighten/inform users of apps running in the "background", with no real good overall solution. Which is why I believe Apple made it a "recommendation", and if waze incorporates this, I for one will probably turn it on less frequently, unless I'm driving for longer trips (the majority of my trips are only a few minutes).
Nah, you're misreading the Apple document.

A single press of the Home button never does anything besides exiting the currently active application. An app does not have the opportunity to warn a user about anything once the home button is pressed (other than possibly via a push notification, in certain circumstances). The language about alerting a user to a problem is in the context of an error which does not close the app but which limits its functionality somehow.

"A: There is no API provided for gracefully terminating an iOS application.
In iOS, the user presses the Home button to close applications."

Apple wants to be sure that all their apps provide a consistent experience. Most likely Waze didn't just choose to enforce this now—probably someone at Apple caught on and told Waze "take the shutdown feature out or we won't approve the next version of your app".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by robc007
The sleep mode screen note should tell the user whether or not GPS has been powered off, and whether or not the device will be allowed to sleep normally. The user will not know whether to expect these to happen.

Also, I see no reason to change the appearance of the "Switch Off" button. Having a "Sleep" button suggests the program is still fully active, as in Windows jargon.
robc007
Send a message
Level 3 Traveler