Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Friends without FaceBook

Post by RickyVanDerZonk
Hi @ all,

I'd like to add my Dad in Waze but he doesn't use FaceBook. Is FaceBook necessary for my Friends to become my Waze-Friend?
RickyVanDerZonk

POSTER_ID:3942736

Send a message

Post by travtufts
OldGnome wrote:
travtufts wrote:Another vote for friends without using facebook. Or at the very least, the ability to use Facebook with "custom" groups of friends. I don't need every whatshisname knowing where I'm driving -- just a few select family members and friends at most.
There is a pretty granular level of control you can establish with Facebook - that is, who can see what. You can create custom lists there.

On the other hand, if you have 10,000 "friends" on Facebook....
True, Facebook allows you to group people into various lists and apply custom privacy settings to those lists. But I don't believe Waze allows you the same benefit when in the app. That is, I can control when Waze posts on Facebook and to whom, but I can't control other "friends" that are Wazers seeing me while in the app. I'd be very happy if this wasn't the case, but as far as I can tell, it is.
travtufts
Send a message

Post by travtufts
Another vote for friends without using facebook. Or at the very least, the ability to use Facebook with "custom" groups of friends. I don't need every whatshisname knowing where I'm driving -- just a few select family members and friends at most.
travtufts
Send a message

Post by ThenISaidWTF
dmcconachie wrote:Other friending options are planned for future upgrades.

via Tapatalk
When can we expect the other friending options?

I would like to have a friend near me open up WAZE and then see them on my GPS then add them as a friend, thereby bypassing facebook.

Or perhaps just having a place where I can put in their username, sending them a notification and then having them accept my WAZE friend request.
ThenISaidWTF
Send a message

Post by subaru101
facebook is f**** :twisted:
subaru101
Send a message

Post by storm0313
I noticed this too. I wish you could add friends w/o them having to have a FB account!
storm0313
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
hanesian wrote:Another anti-Facebook vote.

I know we can use Waze without Facebook, just as we can also use other competing mapping solutions. I guess Waze has decided they would rather lose users to competitors than change this policy. So be it. Sad but not surprising consequence of what, IMHO, is an ill-advised, short sighted stance.

Best regards.
+1

NI area manager
Waze Beta - iPhone 4s iOS 6.0.1 not jail broken
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by rolphdie
Unfortunatelly not for now.

Facebook rumored to be buying GPS app Waze for upto$1billion
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=48659

When will fb come, it would be best time for leaving.
rolphdie
Send a message

Post by rolphdie
hanesian wrote:Another anti-Facebook vote.

I know we can use Waze without Facebook, just as we can also use other competing mapping solutions. I guess Waze has decided they would rather lose users to competitors than change this policy. So be it. Sad but not surprising consequence of what, IMHO, is an ill-advised, short sighted stance.

Best regards.
totally i agree with this.

stop toadying to fb!
rolphdie
Send a message

Post by RetiredGuyNOTL
My friends and I keep track of our live locations on Google maps using their Latitude program. It's free and seems to work fine for us so far. It has been particularly helpful to us (as a group) when we are out on our motorcycles. Allows us to either meetup easier, or re-find each other if we get separated. You can see your friends on the map, click on them, and get specific directions to them.
RetiredGuyNOTL
Send a message