Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

REDIRECT to page section

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Do redirects to page sections not work as expected? I can't get "bowtie" to redirect to anything but the page top. The URL doesn't reflect what I'd expect either, but I guess some recent wikimedia update changed the way redirects work...

Any suggestions?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
IMO, I do not like the way the redirect works because it uses the redirect page name as the pagename#pagename. For example, searching for "parking lots" redirects https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Parking_lots#Parking_Lots when it really should be redirecting to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_edi ... rking_Lots.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Wikimedia is effed up then. It really makes no sense to me. When you click the redirected page link at the top, then click the big link from the redirect page, it takes you to the properly named page with anchor. This is a design flaw.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
REDIRECTS work two ways:

1. When typed in the search bar they should go directly to the section noted in the redirect, but I too have noticed they seem to have stopped working in the last few months. I spoke to Jackson on that and was going to write it up for him to send to the Wiki back end guys.

2. When linked from inside another page, they seem to work fine, but I think it may be looking at the actual location, not the redirect.

Does this match your experience?

EDIT: both of the above situations are currently acting the same as #1.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed my experience

Post by kentsmith9
I am going to post some notes from my search on this problem and have the Waze back-end team review here.

I found this https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special: ... Wiki/18220 talking about adding a fix for allowing a redirect to a section of a page.

In Wikipedia they can currently redirect to a section on a page, so I know it is possible. Somehow we are missing that feature, patch, fix, etc. I thought it was working maybe 6 months ago, so it is possible with the last update to add the Parser Extensions we might have lost something we need for REDIRECTs.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Another note in the Wikimedia page on Section linking states:

(One might have to force reload CSS style sheets.)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I keep finding old messages from 2005-2006 that says you cannot redirect to an anchor (we aren't even trying to do that). However today if you go to Wikipedia and search for "Intel SSD" you will be taken to a section on that page that is only reached by the anchor template just before that section displayed. Therefore sometime after 2006 this bug has been fixed at least for Wikipedia.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I'm not sure what you are trying to solve. Today any link in the Wiki can go directly to a subsection on a page with no problem. The issue is when you want to search for the redirect, it fails.

If you want to send someone to the Permalink specific subsection from the Wiki, you enter:

[[Waze Map Editor#Permalink|Permalink]]

How is entering:

[[Permalink#Permalink|Permalink]]

a better solution?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Ok. I forgot we had pages that try to link to the redirect. Although that is a legitimate link, our current bug breaks it. I agree we can fix the problem, but why not just go direct to the page section with:

[[Waze Map Editor#Permalink|Permalink]]

This works fine, is the documented Wiki instruction for a link, and does not depend on some other strange bug workaround that might break in the next update. :lol:

Or are you somehow saying your triple Permalink link allows something more?

Note: I did go through the Wiki just now and replace all single permalink wikilinks to the one I listed above. They all tested fine from Wiki pages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Also, I am currently working with Waze web team to identify the problem and get our Wiki code updated/fixed.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message