Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
sirKitKat wrote:* If in the future, you want to point people to an other location in the wiki about Permalinks you just have to change the Permalink page.
I understand the easy to remember point, but help me understand this other point. I must have missed it in your original proposal.

I am not clear what would be changed on the Permalink page. Do you mean on the Permalink redirect page?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
OH. You are proposing we create a specific page on Permalink with ALL the content of the Permalink information. That way Permalink is no longer a sub section on a page, but its own page enabling the search to find it directly. Got it.

I will need to reread your prior post later tonight with this new information and see if that helps my understanding of the rest of your proposal to change the template. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sirKitKat wrote:Including ARegularWikiPage in an other page is done by {{:ARegularWikiPage}}
That is news to me and very cool indeed. I can see definite uses for that. :)
sirKitKat wrote:Maybe wait until there is more news from waze on the #redirect [[Page#section]].
Ultimately this should not need to be done if our Wiki was working properly. I agree we wait to see what they can do for us and if they fail, we can create some cool alternate solutions. ;)

The one thing I see missing from that above idea is when you want to direct into a part of a page to have context. A stand alone page for just one portion of a page may not work in all cases. Permalink is certainly one that that can stand alone very easily when someone searches from the Wiki. All our other links can go direct from within a Wiki page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Note that as of the February Wiki update, our redirects to subsections now works and we do not need any workaround for things to work as expected.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:IMO, I do not like the way the redirect works because it uses the redirect page name as the pagename#pagename. For example, searching for "parking lots" redirects https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Parking_lots#Parking_Lots when it really should be redirecting to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Best_map_edi ... rking_Lots.
While I agree with you, that is Wikimedia. I just ran a similar test on Wikipedia and get the same result. FAD. I doubt we could change that operation considering Wikipedia does it now.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I agree, but doubt there is an easy fix if Wikipedia still has the issue. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sirKitKat
I want to do a redirection for Permalink and I came tot the same problem.
But I think I have a really nice workaround for the problem but it involves some small edits on all existing pages that are linking to the Permalink page and Template:Permalink.

Current situation:
* linking to the Permalink section is done by: [[Permalink]]
* including the explanation of Permalink on a page (template): {{Permalink}}
* Permalink page: redirect to the Permalink section
* Template page: explanation of Permalink

Suggestion A:
* linking to the Permalink section: {{Permalink}}
* including the explanation of Permalink on a page: {{:Permalink}}
* Permalink page: explanation of Permalink
* Template page: Simple link to Permalink section:

Code: Select all

[[Waze_Map_Editor#Permalink|Permalink]]
Suggestion B: The opposite of A:
* linking to the Permalink section: {{:Permalink}}
* including the explanation of Permalink on a page: {{Permalink}}

The question is what do you want to show the user if he reaches the permalink page?
* Redirect (current behaviour)
* Only the explaination of Permalink
* A link where the full explaination of Permalink can be found
* Customized text. (with the use of <noinlcude> and <includeonly> almost everything is possible)

What doesn't work is combining #REDIRECT with <noinclude> or <includeonly>
sirKitKat
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
https://wazebelgium.be/mapupdate/image?s=INTL$n=5
(This image represents the update cycle of the INTL map tiles CET. The NA version of this can be found here CT)

Post by sirKitKat
Just found out: the link will work as expected if you write the link like this:

Code: Select all

[[Permalink#Permalink|Permalink]]
sirKitKat
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
(This image represents the update cycle of the INTL map tiles CET. The NA version of this can be found here CT)

Post by sirKitKat
kentsmith9 wrote:I'm not sure what you are trying to solve. Today any link in the Wiki can go directly to a subsection on a page with no problem. The issue is when you want to search for the redirect, it fails.

If you want to send someone to the Permalink specific subsection from the Wiki, you enter:

[[Waze Map Editor#Permalink|Permalink]]

How is entering:

[[Permalink#Permalink|Permalink]]

a better solution?
There are a lot of pages that link to permalink like this:

[[Permalink]]

This generates a valid page link (= not red link) but the redirect to the section does not work.
I believe this is caused by the same problem: page redirect to a section on an other pages does not work properly.
sirKitKat
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by sirKitKat
kentsmith9 wrote:Ok. I forgot we had pages that try to link to the redirect. Although that is a legitimate link, our current bug breaks it. I agree we can fix the problem, but why not just go direct to the page section with:

[[Waze Map Editor#Permalink|Permalink]]

This works fine, is the documented Wiki instruction for a link, and does not depend on some other strange bug workaround that might break in the next update. :lol:

Or are you somehow saying your triple Permalink link allows something more?

Note: I did go through the Wiki just now and replace all single permalink wikilinks to the one I listed above. They all tested fine from Wiki pages.
I can live with that solution.

The triple Permalink link has 2 advantages:
* If in the future, you want to point people to an other location in the wiki about Permalinks you just have to change the Permalink page.
* Triple Permalink is easy to remember ;-)

Both systems could work side by side.
sirKitKat
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message