Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).
Post by dmcconachie
slandrum wrote:More Wazers doesn't solve the problem. Even if every car driven had Waze running in it, Waze would stumble when restrictions started and ended. Waze is relatively slow to respond to changes in traffic.
slandrum wrote:S Patrick speed limit drops from 45 to 20
Both of these are covered by the way Waze works already and would be assisted by increased number of Wazers. I'm not talking about the real-time effect of the server noticing a slow-down but the long term segment averages which are diced up into roughly 10-minute increments across the day. As long as people are observing the speed restrictions then Waze will gradually learn them too.

The argument for marking School Zones is not one of routing to avoid them but marking them as "hazards" so that people raise their awareness as they drive through them. My argument against is two-fold, firstly you should be looking out the window and see the real-life warnings and secondly, your awareness should be at full alert any time you're in the car.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Not sure how time restrictions help? Unless vehicular travel in the zones isn't even permitted during drop-off/pick-up times?
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by EightBitRanger
JerryPavel017 wrote:
woodvale wrote:I'm assuming a School Zone is an area with special restrictions. Do they exist outside the US?
Yes, in Canada :)
Most places anyway. Edmonton got rid of theirs in the 70's but there's been a lot of talk about bringing them back lately. I know back home in Saskatoon, its a huge deal.

More often than not, school zones are fairly well marked anyway and people ought to be paying attention more to the roads around them than staring at their phone. But an audible reminder that a school zone is approaching would be a decent idea, I'd agree.
EightBitRanger
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M) running Android v4.4.2
Waze v3.7.8.0

Post by jemay
No such animal...
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
How do you program for "When Children are Present"? That is not a time we can program for....
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by JerryPavel017
woodvale wrote:I'm assuming a School Zone is an area with special restrictions. Do they exist outside the US?
Yes, in Canada :)
JerryPavel017
Send a message

Post by jimmy_changa
I think that would be an excellent idea, though. Maybe it could be a checkbox on the relevant segments just like how a toll road is marked, along with a "School Zone ahead" announcement.
jimmy_changa
Send a message

Post by pilotjames
This would be helpful in Canada as well to have school zones marked. Having Waze alert you that you are passing a school zone Monday to Friday from certain times and then it's up to the driver to determine if the school zone is actually in effect. For example some school zones are only when children present. I would personally find it useful to get an alert similar to Red Light cameras warning you about the school zone then your more alert for signs and possible kids on the road etc.
pilotjames
Send a message

Post by ScoutWill
I understand that this has been posted before, but I'd like to add support to this idea.

Here in the Seattle WA area a lot of school zones are on main roads, so the dodging / timing of routes based on school zones is a daily dance many, many folks have to perform.

Having some way to indicate when a school zone is active (days, times, etc) would go a long way to choosing a route. I have a couple routes to work, and if I attempt some of them after 7am, the travel time reported by Waze will be wildly inaccurate based on school zones activating while I am in route.
ScoutWill
Send a message

Post by slandrum
dmcconachie wrote:Waze will naturally account for them though.
In theory, but it takes Waze a while to recognize sudden changes in the driving patterns. And Waze's time-of-day data collection is suspect - on routes that I take daily, the amount of traffic at the same time of day varies wildly, so Waze attempting to estimate just based on historical data often comes up with bizarre routing suggestions, sending you around a block to avoid a section of the road you are on when in fact there's almost no traffic on your road today.

For a while after transition time (either restrictions going into effect, or restrictions being lifted), Waze is unaware and does not deliver routing information accurately.
slandrum
Send a message
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png