Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by skbun
AndyPoms wrote: Water: I posted above that we were working on figuring out what was there & what wasn't in CT. We did the original work on the guidelines for CT when there were issues with the water layer & we didn't want to mess with it. I would certainly agree (as would the other CT users) that if it's not on the water layer, and is significant it should probably be mapped - HOWEVER, we need to talk to Waze about this as they may be adding other water bodies (they are mostly working on coastlines now) and un-submerging roads.
If I had to guess, I'd say that Waze's water data came from the dataset you can see at http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/nhd.html?p=nhd .

We can see two different generated static vector images generated from this data on the Livemap and on the client...

I'd guess that the one on the Livemap got slightly higher granularity when generated, say...to make sure that water objects that are 75x75ft or larger show up on the map, in general - and it has names associated with the objects that are exactly the same as they appear in the NHD data. (E.g. 'Lk Fenwick' at http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=15&la ... yers=BTTTT ). The one in the Waze client is slightly LESS granular...its accuracy is to objects about 100x100ft, and to the best of my knowledge, those names were NOT imported or if they were, they're not visible. Stuff that's smaller overall, like small rivers or creeks, don't show up at all by either standard even though they are present and named in the NHD.

So I guess with respect to water layers I would have two questions for the folks generating the water tiles:

1. Can we expect that the granularity will remain the same in the future - so if we want say, creeks that we can't see in the client or Livemap today, that we SHOULD add them?
2. We can't see names of objects on the water layer in the client, imported as-is from NHD, or otherwise. Should we be expecting to but can't? (The whole reason I was adding larger bodies of water in WME was for better shoreline accuracy, and so a name of a water body DID show up as one travels.)
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by sketch
DG567 wrote:I think there is very little need for landmarks. Waze is good at finding locations and the hideous name labels that can be seen floating on the horizon as one is driving around is, IMO, ugly, distracting, unprofessional and are not standardised.
There are plenty good uses for landmarks—generally for large and/or important things, like parks, schools, shopping malls, and government buildings; things people regularly use for navigation. ("It's on Veterans Highway, right across from Lakeside Mall." or "Turn right past the high school and go three blocks.") Things that are not included are things that are best served only by POIs, like Best Buy or Buffalo Wild Wings.

"Not standardized" is not a good reason to get rid of all landmarks. It's a good reason to standardize landmarks. Which is exactly what we're trying to do here.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
DG567 wrote: I disagree. Waze is a GPS guided system. It does not tell you to turn after a particular landmark.
I don't believe we'll ever reach a consensus on standardisation. The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....
Many editors already have reached a consensus on standardization, at least in the US. Editors who either don't read or don't follow the rules, landmarking every business they see, are not a reason to landmark nothing at all.

Look on any other GPS guided system and you will see parks and monuments marked on the map.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by Timbones
Here's what we wrote for the UK Guidelines: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... Kingdom%29

Basically covers special landmarks (junctions, parking lots, etc) and pretty landmarks (blue, green, etc). We generally recommend that POIs are not added for businesses, as other providers are far more capable of providing that service.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
davipt wrote:Here's a case of mall+plot example
I don't think the parking lot landmark in this example should be touching the Freeway. For one thing there's a huge green area separating the two.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I don't see how ownership is relevant. Waze is for drivers, and parking lot landmarks should denote the tarmac on which they can park. There's no value including any other land.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
DG567 wrote:The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....
Large out of town supermarkets are the exception to the 'no businesses' rule as they are large, prominent 'landmarks' which rarely change brands.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
AndyPoms wrote:No, they are not an exception.
They are in our editing guidelines.

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I was replying to the UK editor who raised issue of supermarkets... I can see how this is confusing in a US thread, sorry.

[Edit: isn't there a separate thread about landmarks in the US forum?]

via mobile
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Unholy
Hi everyone,

jasonh300 has asked me earlier to explain a bit about gas station landmarks in US and World server.

1. In the next version of the WME, there will be an option to mark gas stations and parking lot from the "add" button.
2. In the NA server, adding a gas station landmark will not add a "pin" to the client's map - Currently the gas stations which appear there originated from a 3rd party data base.
3. If you wish to prevent "ghost traffic" jams and prevent Waze from navigating you through gas station road, please set the type of road in these gas stations to "parking lot" roads.

If you have any more questions regarding the gas station feature, please post them on the "direct access" forum.

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Send a message