Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

House numbers: stop point on adjacent street?

Post by ControlNode
See this house located on the North side of corner at Oak Dr and Rattan Ln? Its house number is for Oak Dr even though the stop point should on Rattan Ln. I use to help my wife deliver papers in this neighbor hood and remembered this house for this reason. Mail box is on Oak Dr with a walk from the house to it. As a Editor Rank 1 I can't put the access anywhere but on the street the house number is for. Can some Rank actually do this? Having access on side streets is not all that uncommon in my area.
ControlNode

POSTER_ID:16833287

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I asked Ohad about this in the last week and the response to "why isn't the house numbers feature being finalized?" was essentially that their product manager has determined that other features are higher priority at this time.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
evn137 wrote:I currently have 2 Update requests that have this same problem with Waze Nav. I have cross checked these 2 addresses with Google and it comes out correct with Google but not with Waze. On another, I have managed to correct one address ( not the 2 above mentioned ) by moving the Google pin. I don't really know what to do at this point and it's frustrating. I agree: " Bad routing is one the best ways to lose users ".
Once you move the google pin, and the change is accepted, the routing for new searches to that address should be correct. Thing is, many user just pick the "address" out of their drive history, not knowing that it navigates to the same spot, and doesn't actually re-run the search anew.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
ControlNode wrote:Can some Rank actually do this?
No, I don't think it can be done at this point. This is one of the deficiencies of the house numbers that I believe is keeping the waze address database from being used as the primary database when waze provides returns for address searches.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by ControlNode
Well my understanding is the addresses and stop points we are setting right now in WME are not used by the app at this time. So even if we could fix them the apps would direct the drivers to the wrong location based on the flawed data in the source they are using. Not sure when they plan to start using the addresses in WME, but I hope they give attention to the issues of service roads and access to business on rear streets opposite the street address some fixes before turning on the WME addresses in the apps.
ControlNode
Send a message

Post by evn137
I currently have 2 Update requests that have this same problem with Waze Nav. I have cross checked these 2 addresses with Google and it comes out correct with Google but not with Waze. On another, I have managed to correct one address ( not the 2 above mentioned ) by moving the Google pin. I don't really know what to do at this point and it's frustrating. I agree: " Bad routing is one the best ways to lose users ".
evn137
Send a message
Ed (evn137) Rank 3 Editor

Post by evn137
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
evn137 wrote:I currently have 2 Update requests that have this same problem with Waze Nav. I have cross checked these 2 addresses with Google and it comes out correct with Google but not with Waze. On another, I have managed to correct one address ( not the 2 above mentioned ) by moving the Google pin. I don't really know what to do at this point and it's frustrating. I agree: " Bad routing is one the best ways to lose users ".
Once you move the google pin, and the change is accepted, the routing for new searches to that address should be correct. Thing is, many user just pick the "address" out of their drive history, not knowing that it navigates to the same spot, and doesn't actually re-run the search anew.
That's true. Erased the address from the " memorized " list. Started a new search on one of the " problematic " address and it worked. Thanks!

Ed ( evn137 )
evn137
Send a message
Ed (evn137) Rank 3 Editor

Post by Riamus
Internal addresses are used in limited situations. For example, if Google can't find the exact match, the internal address will be used if available. There may be other cases where internal addresses are used. I know the plan is to be able to eventually put the internal address stop points on any nearby road, but that could be a long time from now. For cases where the route is definitely going off of the Google address point, you can consider moving the point on Google to a location over where the driveway is and see if that fixes routing for the time being.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
Well, that is unfortunate. I think internal addressing would fix a number of problems... alleys, walking paths, etc. And I would think routing problems would be high priority. Bad routing is one the best ways to lose users.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by vty69
For a stop point for an Oak Dr address on Rattan Ln, I would have expected that you could add "Oak Dr" as an alternate street name to the "Rattan Ln" segment on which the stop point is actually located so I gave it a try - sadly though, it looks as if the editor does not currently allow house numbers to be set on an "alternative name" street.

Similar situations exist with house numbers for businesses in a business park with an elaborate parking lot structure. The address in this case may have a house number on a busy street nearby with no possibility to stop whatsoever. In those cases, I wish it were possible to move a stop point inside a parking lot structure, or mark an entire parking lot structure with a given house number. This way, the destination would not be reached upon meeting with the stop point, but upon driving onto the parking lot structure (or a portion thereof).

I've seen quite a few map error reports from users regarding stop points that are nowhere near the actual location, with no real way to correct the issue...
vty69
Send a message