[Script] WME Toolbox

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [script] WME Toolbox

Postby OyyoDams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Ok just 1 example. As an experienced editor, you might know that 2 segments starting and ending with same nodes can make troubles in navigation. In this case you must add another node in one of the segments.

Currently, the Unneeded Nodes function clears that, so yes it brakes some good work. So I apologize, but yes I decided to block it until it works, for Waze.

I'm very surprised you can't understand that...
OyyoDams
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby plausiblydamp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:07 pm

I think the issue is when the author of one addon (a very useful addon, don't for one minute think I am anything but greatful) unilaterally starts to decide what other addons can and can't be used. If other script authors start to take the same attitude then it will just cause fragmentation and problems amongst editors.

The original WME Addons comes with a warning about it's use and IIRC the functionality is restricted to Level 3 editors and above anyway.
plausiblydamp
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby doctorkb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:08 pm

OyyoDams wrote:Ok just 1 example. As an experienced editor, you might know that 2 segments starting and ending with same nodes can make troubles in navigation. In this case you must add another node in one of the segments.

Currently, the Unneeded Nodes function clears that, so yes it brakes some good work. So I apologize, but yes I decided to block it until it works, for Waze.

I'm very surprised you can't understand that...

I've used it repeatedly in areas where those loops exist, and it hasn't removed the node you speak of.

Let's look at this objectively.

What you've done here is like Google setting Chrome up (upon an un-refusable update) to require that an old version of Firefox (with known security holes) be uninstalled prior to the new Chrome working. Not only is this bad juju, it totally belittles the user's choice.

Even though your script is a fair bit better than Addons, I really don't like the approach of "Oyyo knows best" -- and I will disable Toolbox before I disable Addons at this time.
Waze Global Champ, Mentor
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby OyyoDams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I know best. But if you prefer to use a bugged feature instead of waiting for some hours, it's your problem not mine. And I'm very surprised to see such a reaction from a champ.
OyyoDams
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:43 pm

OyyoDams wrote:Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I know best. But if you prefer to use a bugged feature instead of waiting for some hours, it's your problem not mine. And I'm very surprised to see such a reaction from a champ.

With all due respect, I think that you're missing his point.

It's one thing to advocate/advise against using "addon X" because of {insert reason here}. It is an entirely different matter, however, to say, "If you're using my addon, I will not permit you to use 'addon X' because of {insert reason here}.'" Regardless of the intention, it comes across extremely arrogant (and the attitude shown in the above quotation, whether intended or not, only furthers that impression). It also sets a really bad precedent for other addon authors.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby OyyoDams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm not arrogant. I've explained many times, that WME Addons is not developped anymore. It's now a bugged addon which shouldn't be used. But it has great features that have to be fixed. That's what I'm working on, even on week-end, for free, for Waze, and for all editors.
I've blocked WME Addons while Toolbox is in used for TECHNICAL reasons. If you still want to use WME Addons, just disable Toolbox. You just can't use both plugins at the same time.
I'll fix bugged functions and add missing features from WME Addons to Toolbox. So please just be patient!
OyyoDams
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby SuperDave1426 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:11 pm

I didn't say you were arrogant. I said that the attitude being shown in the posts *looks* arrogant. It comes across badly. Gives people a bad taste in their mouths, so to speak.

And for the record, I personally don't use the WME Addons addon, I'm only using your Toolbox. I'm mentioning this for the sake of clarity; I have no vested interest in this particular subject. I was simply trying to explain *why* (IMO), doctorkb is raising the objections that he is.

He *is* a Waze Champ (and yes, I'm aware that you are as well), which I suspect means that he knows the subject matter and pitfalls, etc., better than a snot-nosed Rank 2 editor. :D I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but what it looks like to me is that his biggest objection is that you've taken this stance that "if you want to use my addon, I won't allow you to use that other addon (for *whatever* the reason; how valid it is or not is not the point)."

I realize you most likely don't *mean* it this way, but the way it comes across is, "I know better than you, I don't care what your objection/reason is, you can either do it my way without that other tool that's dangerous but you like it and have indicated that you've used it effectively, or do it without my tool." And that, to the average reader, comes across as being rather arrogant. Even though you aren't and didn't mean it to look that way.

That's all I'm saying. ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby OyyoDams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Ok I hope this will end the discussion:

New/Fix: Suppress Unneeded Junctions from WME Addons debugged and enabled in Toolbox (for L3 and more users, as this shouldn't be used by beginners)
OyyoDams
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby plausiblydamp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Thank you, this is much appreciated.
plausiblydamp
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CTGreybeard » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for the unneeded junctions addition. It looks to be very useful. I was trying it out here and it seems to find something but I haven't been able figure out what it changed. In a different area I was able to see the segment that was changed but in this area I don't see that anything has changed but the change count goes to 1.
Bill W

Home: Bethel, Connecticut

CTGreybeard

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts